Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ortho storage

Pixies

Hi Everyone,

As the possibility of some dark-sky trips come up, I need to pull my finger out and sort out a storage case for my EPs and bits and pieces. 

A quick question regarding the older-style ortho EPs: I have a few. Some have mis-matched bolt cases and some have just the nose-piece cap but nothing protecting the volcano top. How do those with similar EPs keep them neatly stored in a foam-filled flightcase? The OCD in me would like them all to look similar. How were the volcano-topped EPs protected when they were delivered new?

Cheers.

First of all there are some great "Orthos" out there, so if you can live with the narrow field of view and tighter eye relief. Then the Ortho represents great value for money.

With regards to storage , I keep mine in some "bolt cases" to keep them nice and safe 

• Thanks 1

have been looking for the same solution, Pixies as I've acquired a couple and run short on bolt cases. I've also a 0.965 inch one that could do with a case/cover and that's harder still as bolt cases tend to be on the big side for that. For the 1.25 ones I've cut a bit of foam to pack the length of the case too so the EP isn't rattling about as I didn't have any narrow short bolt cases.

2 minutes ago, John said:

It's not my case. I guess it's similar to camping mat foam with a recess in the darker foam beneath ?

Gotcha, thanks :thumbright:

@Pixies if you find a supplier of matching bolt cases please post to let us know - I've had a look and can't find anything I fancy.

Orthos are pretty small eyepieces. If you have a case with pluck foam you will probably find that a 2x2 hole is just about the perfect size to hold an ortho vertically. In the case that you don't have any caps I would get some camping mat foam and put a small square in your 2x2 hole to form the bottom of the hole, and then have a second piece to go on top of the eyepiece. I think that such a foam should be soft enough to protect the eyepiece but rigid enough so that the foam is not pressed into contact with any of the lenses, but a bit of testing would be required to check if this is true with the eye lens, depending on how much compression there is when the case lid is closed. 

I’ve been getting custom size ep caps 3d printed in nylon- reasonably flexible but very tough. If you can measure the diameter accurately I could maybe get you one made but I can’t promise when as i’d have to fit it in with another bigger work order- the minimum order price is £40! The actual per piece price is pennies. I went for white as it’s easier to see in the dark but black and primary colours are also available

Mark

97AAF869-06A0-4A41-91E2-7C53C5A3A8E0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, markse68 said:

I’ve been getting custom size ep caps 3d printed in nylon- reasonably flexible but very tough. If you can measure the diameter accurately I could maybe get you one made but I can’t promise when as i’d have to fit it in with another bigger work order- the minimum order price is £40! The actual per piece price is pennies. I went for white as it’s easier to see in the dark but black and primary colours are also available

Mark

Thanks. These are mostly volcano top EPs, so would have to be a little deeper

I'll measure up and let you know.

Hi Neil,

All my UOVT Orthos have these caps which are a nice snug fit, 31mm int diameter.  I just seem to have accumulated them over the years. I don't believe they came with eye lens caps, but I would not know , never having bought one brand new.

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

Edited by Saganite

30 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Hi Neil,

All my UOVT Orthos have these caps which are a nice snug fit, 31mm int diameter.  I just seem to have accumulated them over the years. I don't believe they came with eye lens caps, but I would not know , never having bought one brand new.

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

They look like binoculars lens caps!

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

Mark

Did you cutout the eyecup on BCOs?

Have you tried to put a 1.25" insertion barrel cap on top?  I know that some of these style eyepieces are close to symmetrical top to bottom as far as diameter.  The rubbery yellow/red vinyl caps might stretch enough to fit if the upper barrel is a bit oversized.