NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first Moon mosaic - and 42 pieces

tooth_dr

Well this was my first 'serious' attempt at a Moon mosaic, and only the second time I've imaged the Moon with the modded webcam. I started the evening taking a few close-ups of random areas of the Moon, then I thought it would be nice to do a full mosaic of the Moon.

Being my first go at mosaicing the Moon I started by aligning the camera so that when I moved the telescope the image on the PC screen moved up and down and left and right regardless of the orientation of the Moon. This proved to be very helpful. I then took 42 x 300s AVIs at 10 FPS, using a modded B&W ToUCam and 2x Meade Barlow, through a 6" Meade LXD-75 Newtonian.

Each AVI was processed with Registax4, saved as TIFF files, converted to BMP files, then manually aligned in Imerge. The final image was tweaked in CS2. The full size image is 3900 x 3700 pixels. Here is a smaller version at 1000 x 1000 pixels.

This is by far the biggest project I've taken on to date, and hats of to all the guys doing big mosiacs.

Adam

MoonMosaicWeb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was lucky in a couple of cases, pretty close! Getting a few of them together was difficult and I had to re stack and be more selective as the seeing distorted the images a little. I think it looks ok, but if there are any areas that need tidied up let me know as I'll like to print it out and I want it to be as good as possible.

There is one join that I cannot get removed but the overlap between the two panes was minimal.

Thanks

Adam

Cloudy here teh last few nights.... Even though I am "learning" to love luna I'll still take my clear skies around new moon any day....Infact I have been enjoying taking soem arty shots of the moon through the clouds - looks almost Nebula like so nice to bridge the gap - but too thick for that here tonight...

Billy...

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em :thumbright:

I've still not actually tried out the star mask yet, as I've done no deep sky imaging. I will try it next time I'm out and let you know how it is working out. The Moon was imaged with my 6" scope so I couldn't even use the mask to check focus, which would have been handy...

Adam

Thanks guys. It was great capturing it, a real buzz trying to race against the clouds starting to form when I was 80% through the mosaic. The whole thing was made a lot easier by spending a few minutes aligning the camera so that up/down/left/right corresponded to the movements via the PC.

I sure this won't be my last!

Adam

I'm working on processing a similar project to this at the moment, but I wasn't at all as well organised as you and I missed out loads of bits. :hello2:

I'm very impressed with this one - more panes and extremely well merged. :thumbright:

Andrew

A very accomplished piece of work. And a large piece too. 42 Images, blimey, you deserve the acclaim for that alone mate.

But you have created a superb picture of the moon into the bargain.. Congratulations. A job very well done.

Ron. :salute:

Archived