Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn! My best Saturn sketch so far...

Paul G. Abel

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really admire people that are able to sketch what they see...I am not one of them. :hello2:

However, i did attempt it once with the expected poor results. There was an upside.

To put down on paper the view through the eyepiece made me realise that i had not been studying it properly.

I had the habit of viewing the object but not really LOOKING.

Since then i have spent much more time at each magnification rather than swopping and changing.

The result of all this is take your time to see all that is there before moving off to the next eyepice or object.

Apologys to the more experienced people here... but may be of use to newcommers.

This is stupendously brilliant. I still don't know how on earth you manage to see that much detail on Saturn. :scratch: I would be hard pressed to see even those great big dark brown belts.

Hats off to you for those sharp eyes and all that patience :thumbright:

Andrew

Paul, you possess a great skill, that indeed is an exceptional sketch of Saturn.

Your name is added to a number of members who are highly skilled in this discipline.

You are all without a doubt very adept observers, because you have to study your subject, and not just look at it.

Well done.

Ron. :thumbright: :salute:

Hello everyone.

I have to say I'm slightly stunned and quite moved by everyones response! It's simply wonderful that everyone still appreciates sketching as a means of recording our observations, I like to think of it as the yin to the imagers yang! Many thanks also for the mods kinds words and support!

I do feel like a bit of a fraud because I'm quite sure that anybody here can make a sketch!

Thanks again!

-Paul.

I do feel like a bit of a fraud because I'm quite sure that anybody here can make a sketch!

You'd be wrong, very few people draw well. I used to do watercolors but I dont think I ever was very good at it and since owning the scope I have tried a few times but could't equal your sketch for sure.

Maybe I'm just out of touch but I enjoy sketches more than photos myself.

I really love this sketch Paul. :thumbright: ....How did you see all this detail?.....Did you use different filters, constantly swapping?

Stef

Hi Stef, Seeing the detail isn't that difficult- if you examine the planet and rings systematically asking yourself what is there your eyes soon learn to respond! I didn't use any filters (in general I only use filters for Venus) I can't bear to lose any light!

Glad you like the sketch,

-Paul.

Archived