NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Eyepieces

This type of eyepiece is manufactured by a Chinese factory who do not sell their products under a brand. Instead, when placing an order, the company ordering can specify the branding they would like added to the eyepiece. We are used to seeing these sold in the UK as "BST Starguider/Explorer", but with any other brand name it will still be the same eyepiece. In this case, it has come with @FLO's "Astro essentials" branding on. I do not know whether this is a deliberate change in branding, or a mistake made at the factory because they also supply items to be sold under the "Astro Essentials" brand, but in either case it does not matter unless you feel the need to have all your eyepieces with matching brand names.

Hello Mick,

This range of eyepieces is marketed under a number of different brand names, and it looks identical to the BST collection that I once had, so you should be fine, but no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.

The BST eyepieces are  good, and  cost very little.

The Vixen NPL 30mm is also a very fine eyepiece...:smiley:

Edited by Saganite

It's been known to happen.  That's what happened to me this week, when I ordered the BST StarGuider 5mm eyepiece from FLO.  The factory that makes them in China supplies them in various different names, but essentially they are the same eyepiece, but just with a different label on them.😉

Edit: as you can see by the label on the box, it's got a BST product code, but the eyepiece says different. 

20200723_122904.thumb.jpg.603fca43471c1d3c91ebb85a590c1a24.jpg

20200726_150716.jpg

Edited by Guest
more information

This was from a post just over 18 months ago, written by FLO...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/326940-clearance-bst-starguider-60º-8mm-ed-eyepiece/?tab=comments#comment-3560460

I've emailed @FLO , just to bring them upto speed on this.  The startup after the Covid 19 lockdown in China may have caused the factory problems, so perhaps it was just a mistake...

Edited by Guest

I can recall another importer of these eyepieces saying that you never quite knew what was going to be printed on them until they came off the boat and you opened the boxes.

• Haha 1

Good Evening Everyone,

Thank you very much for your comments, it’s definitely reassured my thoughts about the eyepieces and the miss branding. The eyepieces themselves are great and a big step up from what I’ve been using previously! 

Thanks Mick

• Like 2

I'll be ordering another one from Auntie@FLO soon, this will be the 25mm one. I'll be happy whatever the branding on it.

Edited by Guest

One of the brands they're sold under in the US is Astro Tech Paradigm Dual ED (possibly the first here).  I've got the 5mm to 25mm set as shown below with the Meade HD-60s behind.  They are no doubt identical to the BST Starguiders and Astro Essentials.

1318406990_MeadeHD-60Astro-TechParadigm6.thumb.jpg.74d71cca0a4addf8496b92efff19e8d7.jpg

• Like 1

So I’ve just ordered 3 new eye pieces, BST Star-Guider 8mm & 12mm and a Vixen NPL 30mm.

Possibly the only 3 eyepieces that you will ever need. BST, are held in high regard, as are Vixen.

8,12,30mm is a nice range of field of view to own. You have 8mm (high mag), 12mm (medium) and 30mm (wide field).

If you ever want an eyepiece that is truly submersive, the GSO 32mm Plossel is  a stonkingly brilliant eyepiece.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BrianHes said:

The FLO website actually says, in the description, that they are sometimes branded Astroessentials. 

Still perfectly good for what they are. It's not the branding that's important, what's inside that matters. 😉

18 minutes ago, BrianHes said:

The FLO website actually says, in the description, that they are sometimes branded Astroessentials. 

Here's an email I got from them. It just  goes to show the level of customer care they provide! 😊

We have learned the factory have again mistakenly branded all the StraGuider ED eyepieces delivered this month 'Astro Essentials'. We don't currently have any with the StarGuider logo (except some 3.2mm).

If you choose to keep the Astro Essential branded eyepiece we will email you a FLO £10 Gift Voucher. Alternatively you are welcome to keep and use it until we next receive stock (probably 4-6x weeks) branded StarGuider, we will then swop them.

Please let me know your preference.

Apologies for this mistake.

Edited by Guest

If they had "Barsta" printed on them but were a tenner less expensive they would be even more popular :smiley:

(Barsta make them)

I've seen them with "Orion" printed on them for £70 apiece.

Expensive printing !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, John said:

If they had "Barsta" printed on them but were a tenner less expensive they would be even more popular :smiley:

(Barsta make them)

Expensive printing !

Maybe it was my eyepiece collection they were referring to when somebody shouted Barsta at me

🙂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, John said:

(Barsta make them)

Expensive printing !

I had an 8mm Orion branded version, guess i was lucky that i paid the same price as the other 3 BST's at the time  :)

• Like 1

Good Evening SGL,

The eye pieces are great even with the miss print. Only used them a few times since they arrived as the sky has been poor lately but would throughly recommend then for anybody looking for a great upgrade from the stock eye pieces supplied with a telescope.

I’ve also had another delivery from FLO which included a Vixen NPL 30mm, Astro Essentials Variable Polarising Filter and a Explore Scientific 2x Barlow! Meaning my next night out is going to be superb!

Mick

• Like 1

Good Afternoon SGL,

So I’m hoping to get out tonight and use my additional eye pieces and 2x Barlow which have just arrived from FLO. I have also just purchased these fine books for a total of £5. One in particular has peaked a lot of interest as it’s a very old, used first addition by Patrick Moore! Its full of so much useful information, which given its age is probably not published in newer books these days! I do love a bit of history. 
I just hope I can put it to good use like it’s previous owner Has! 
Clear Skies to you all! Mick

0CE042D7-B5A1-4A5E-8DE7-70662187305F.jpeg

38E2011E-FA7F-452B-96CD-91946DD179B0.jpeg

• Like 1