Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horizon - Pluto - Back from the Dead. Tonight!

DaveS

Tonight 9pm BBC 2 - Horizon is about Pluto - Back from the Dead.  From Radio Times :-

There might be life on Pluto. It sounds far-fetched, but that’s the conclusion some scientists have reached, and it’s one of the unexpected new angles explored in this intriguing edition of Horizon.
The insights come courtesy of New Horizons, a tiny spacecraft that travelled 3.26 billion miles to the edge of the solar system, sending back detailed imagery that reveals a geologically fertile world with, among other features, a nitrogen glacier and a recently active volcano. Moreover, Pluto’s abundant supply of organic molecules and liquid water suggest some form of alien life might exist.

• Like 2

Agree with the last point, we need an orbiter but it'll be a hell of a job, got to get there, and then slow into orbit. Pluto doesn't have much gravity to help.

Gonna need a bigger engine.

I watched live but was hoping to pick it up on iPlayer as I get full HD picture and better sound through my amp and speakers. My old 24" TV is theoretically HD but doesn't have an HD tuner.

Never mind, I have a 55" LG OLED coming from JL now they do a two man delivery and unpack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

Never mind, I have a 55" LG OLED coming from JL now they do a two man delivery and unpack.

WOW!!

Edited by Gina

That's been a problem with Horizon for the last 30 years - the content is very low. Back in the early 90s I taught an adult evening class in astronomy and I remember showing a short extract from the programme about supernova 1987A (the big one). The first 7 or 8 minutes were just a reconstruction of the discovery night - the arrival at the obs, opening up, setting up, choosing music....no actual meaningful content. I know someone else got their students to time an episode and discount any repeated content or 'scene setting' camera shots etc. Actual content was 12 minutes. 

The 'old days' of the 70s and early 80s where you got solid content and it wasn't dumbed down - it was pitched at Scientific American level. I rarely watch it these days because of that.