Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dawn planets

kerrylewis

Up again for the dawn trio and despite some thin cloud I managed some decent views.

Mars first before it disappeared behind the neighbour’s roof. Now beginning to show some detail with a surprisingly bright polar cap and a hint of a dark feature. I’m really looking forward to this year’s apparition- no dust storms hopefully.

Saturn it’s usual jewel self. Seeing was not perfect but settled at times to show the Cassini division and bands on the planet. The rings are noticeably closing now.

Jupiter was good with two close moons each side. No ‘happenings’ but some good detail including a prominent dark spot in the northern belt.

Back to bed as a misty moon was rising. 

I think I’ll give the ADC (atmospheric dispersion corrector) a try next time. 

• Like 14

Problems with my mount and with clouds prevented me from having another go until this morning. My internal alarm clock was a bit late so I only had a short time with Mars and Jupiter. Saturn is a little higher which helps.

The results from using the ADC were a bit short lived and inconclusive. Setting up the ADC is tricky if also using a diagonal  - the fitted bubble level is only useful in ‘straight through’ mode which can be hard on the back! So I try to line it up with features on the planet but they are not parallel with the horizon unless it’s due south - so it’s guesswork really. Also I like to just observe so swapping fittings around for comparison is not good.

Having said that I did give it a go. Only a short time on Mars but the polar cap and hints of dark areas did seem slightly more obvious. Likewise on Jupiter where Io’s small  shadow was definitely clearer with the ADC. I then watched Io itself approach the disc and begin its transit - always fascinating.

Saturn was its usual glorious self and was definitely improved witH the ADC. Seeing was average but it looked sharp with the Cassini division clear.

I’ll give the ADC another go but my conclusions today back up my previous experiences in that it’s definitely worth a go with low planets if you can deal with another piece of equipment to fiddle with 😀

Edited by kerrylewis
  • Like 2

Regards, getting up early in the morning to observe.

I once asked Bill Bradfield how he managed to get up early to do his comet searching.....

He said he used the “Indian alarm clock” ?????????

I smiled as he explained: I fill my bladder before going to bed....it means I have to get up....ideal for getting up early for comet seeking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Regards, getting up early in the morning to observe.

I once asked Bill Bradfield how he managed to get up early to do his comet searching.....

He said he used the “Indian alarm clock” ?????????

I smiled as he explained: I fill my bladder before going to bed....it means I have to get up....ideal for getting up early for comet seeking.

I have used that method before! Usually for a one off event I really don't to miss like a lunar eclipse for example. My in-built clock is not bad and has one advantage  - it's silent so I don't disturb the members of the household - but it's not accurate to the minute! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I find the ADC a massive plus on visual observations of the planets I’ve tried various methods of setting it ! But now just move sliders around to see the effect on the planet 

My internal alarm has always been pure misery for me. I set the phone and an alarm clock on the nightstand, but I find myself laying on my side looking at it 30 minutes before time!

Mine goes off at 1:30 to 1:45 every morning. Three days a week I get up at 2:00 to clock in at 4:00.

The planets are wonderful in the mornings and very nicely placed here in Florida. 

Do you have Venus in the mornings as well as the other 3?

A friend called them the "parade of planets" on Facebook.

If anyone suffers from Hayfever, I can attest that it has more than once killed off any early morning summer get ups for me.  If I take a tablet, I'm considerably knocked out during the night and very groggy the next morning (even with the non-drowsy type!).  If I don't take a tablet I'm groggy from the pollen!  🙂   One of my favourite months is September, as then the pollen is gone and I can finally set an alarm and get up to do this.  Keep writing your reports everyone, I really enjoy reading them to see what I've missed!  

Like Kerry, I was up for a view of the comet with the bonus of Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn also visible in a clear sky. I must confess, despite trying over a number of years,  I have yet to get a decent view of Mars that shows anything other than a reddish disk.  

I am looking forward to later this year as a chance to break my duck but would appreciate any recommendations re filters, etc.  I often get confused with whether the detail that is described is a result of AP processing or a visual observation.

John

Got a look at Mars over the weekend after comet spotting. Definite dark regions to see in my C6, polar cap was well defined and had a shape, I could detect a dark edge to the cap too. Nice to see Mars gibbous!

Looknig forward to trying Jupiter and Saturn this weekend, weather permitting.

Was up early this morning 3.00am  and Jupiter and Saturn were disappearing from view behind the roof tops  and mars shining a lovely salmon pink

Sky now starting to get lighter then to the east just over the neighbors roof Venus so bright I mean bright she looked huge  such a great view

Steve