Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone used Antlia filters?

Wyvernp

Mornin' 

I've been trying to get hold of the baader Oiii 4.5nm however it seems that there are none anywhere in 36mm. In my searching I came across these

https://www.365astronomy.com/antlia-ultra-narrowband-3.5nm-oiii-filter-36mm-unmounted.html

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Edited by Wyvernp

Well I've ordered the Oiii, It won't be parfocal with my baader ones but I'm not too worried as autofocus will take care of that. And besides I'll probably replace the baader ones if these are any good.

Already posted in another topic but I’ll update this one as it’s a bit more specific to these filters. Received my Oiii today, well packaged and am impressed with the attention to detail of not only that but the black seal on the edges. 

5AEB265F-7DB2-4A58-8310-885DC2AE39E8.jpeg

Well I finally got first light with this filter tonight and I have to say I am impressed, really nice contrast.

Here's a single uncalibrated 360sec shot from the veil nebula mosaic I'm currently shooting

144081063_veilnebula-1_360sec_1x1_Oiii_0002.thumb.jpg.a8cc726025ca40038e2ec9edc337d025.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2020 at 08:19, Wyvernp said:

No one?

Just found a good review here https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/689752-antlia-narrowband-filters/

Might give them a go.

That's settled it! Also your good experience with the OIII. They look like they are at the top end of the mid tier and are worth while experimenting with. I'll order the Ha.

3 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

That's settled it! Also your good experience with the OIII. They look like they are at the top end of the mid tier and are worth while experimenting with. I'll order the Ha.

Let me know how you get on with the Ha, I currently have Baader 7nm Ha/ 8nm SII and will eventually look at replacing them with these

Well, feeling a bit frustrated with my full moon Ha subs being a bit washed out I pulled the trigger on the 3.5nm Ha's. I think next month I'll get the SII then I'll have a full set. It means I'll be putting mt Baader ones up for sale.

• Like 1

Managed to get some good tests of the heart nebula in Ha last night with the Antlia Ha filter.

1x300sec @139 gain

heart.thumb.jpg.50b88f9e61c6aa19b60c422b82414183.jpg

Stacked and calibrated Ha stack of 12 of the subs above.

heart_stacked.thumb.jpg.cb5d138d4aa9353cddb935a55c43bba1.jpg

Really quite happy with the results of this. Lovely clean and detailed nebulosity.

Edited by Wyvernp
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I also received them recently (36mm ones).

Some Stacks examples/tests below. No Flats, just used half a year old master bias and darks, autostretched in PI without any other manipuliations.

Test done on 05/08/2020, London, Bortle 8-9, via ASI1600m-Pro + Skywatcher 130PDS (flocked), Gain200 + 120Sec, 30min per channel.

Targeted Sadr on purpose, - wanted to check if filters produce any reflections (OIII especially).

(Almost full Moon was hiding behind the house and quite far away from the target)

I am quite happy with them, just packing is not perfect... Filter envelope is sealed with a halo sticker, - which managed to end up on my SII.... 
If someone will decide to go for them, - remove the stickers completely

H

H.thumb.jpg.c04ac8d9ce0b4de4ee5d802759cbe815.jpg

SII

S.thumb.jpg.e03ad0bf4ae1b93ca2c1272f2d3523c1.jpg

OIII

OIII.thumb.jpg.57f6b0e743328ccba4fe8451e9fd5ba8.jpg

End result:

Dust of Sadr (Gamma Cygni)

Edited by RolandKol
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

I also received them recently (36mm ones).

Some Stacks examples/tests below. No Flats, just used half a year old master bias and darks, autostretched in PI without any other manipuliations.

Test done on 05/08/2020, London, Bortle 8-9, via ASI1600m-Pro + Skywatcher 130PDS (flocked), Gain200 + 120Sec, 30min per channel.

Targeted Sadr on purpose, - wanted to if check filters produce any reflections (OIII especially).

(Almost full Moon was hiding behind the house and quite far away from the target)

I am quite happy with them, just packing is not perfect... Filter envelope is sealed with a halo sticker, - which managed to end up on my SII.... 
If someone will decide to go for them, - remove the stickers completely

H

H.thumb.jpg.c04ac8d9ce0b4de4ee5d802759cbe815.jpg

SII

S.thumb.jpg.e03ad0bf4ae1b93ca2c1272f2d3523c1.jpg

OIII

OIII.thumb.jpg.57f6b0e743328ccba4fe8451e9fd5ba8.jpg

End result:

Dust of Sadr (Gamma Cygni)

That'a a great result! Shame about the sticker though, I guess I was lucky with mine.

• Like 1

Bumping this thread. 

I am interested to hear some more experiences with Antlia NB filters. I had saved for a set of Chromas (which are eye-wateringly expensive) but these have been suggested to me by someone knowledgeable as a viable alternative (they may be setting the price lower right now as they establish custom). 

If their documentation is anything to go by on the website, they look compelling. 

Nothing like actual hands on experience though - 

Any more feedback?

Thanks!

Simon

1 hour ago, MakeItSo said:

Bumping this thread. 

I am interested to hear some more experiences with Antlia NB filters. I had saved for a set of Chromas (which are eye-wateringly expensive) but these have been suggested to me by someone knowledgeable as a viable alternative (they may be setting the price lower right now as they establish custom). 

If their documentation is anything to go by on the website, they look compelling. 

Nothing like actual hands on experience though - 

Any more feedback?

Thanks!

Simon

Sadly... 

But l think only side by side comparison can offer more than we have at the moment.

22 hours ago, RolandKol said:

Sadly... 

But l think only side by side comparison can offer more than we have at the moment.

Unfortunately, it's the only way and there are so many variables... Moon phase, optical glass, atmospheric conditions, LP...so even on the same rig I don't think you can truely compare filters. I would like to see some independent testing of these filters.

They're probably not as good as the chromas, I have seen some subs on another forum with a few halos around bright stars. Also not sure how they compare to the baader ultra narrowband which I think are only 1nm more.

I guess just look at astrobin at pics taken with both and go with the ones you prefer?

On 12/08/2020 at 19:04, MakeItSo said:

The difference in cost likely comes from the more relaxed tolerances. The Antlia filters are 'only' OD3 offband (i.e. they allow up to 0.1% transmission outside of the the targeted filter range).  In addition their transmission is >88%.  In comparison the Chroma and Astrodons are OD4 (0.01% transmission max outside of the targeted filter range) and have about a 98% transmission level.  

For most targets this probably doesn't make much difference but around very bright stars it may be a bit more noticeable (especially in refracting systems where the correction will be worse compared to a reflector).  The image might also be a bit fainter / need longer exposures to compensate for the slightly reduced signal but would probably only be noticeable in the longest exposures etc.

• 4 months later...
On 16/08/2020 at 10:46, Whirlwind said:

The difference in cost likely comes from the more relaxed tolerances. The Antlia filters are 'only' OD3 offband (i.e. they allow up to 0.1% transmission outside of the the targeted filter range).  In addition their transmission is >88%.  In comparison the Chroma and Astrodons are OD4 (0.01% transmission max outside of the targeted filter range) and have about a 98% transmission level.  

For most targets this probably doesn't make much difference but around very bright stars it may be a bit more noticeable (especially in refracting systems where the correction will be worse compared to a reflector).  The image might also be a bit fainter / need longer exposures to compensate for the slightly reduced signal but would probably only be noticeable in the longest exposures etc.

Sorry to bring this topic back. Antlia is coming out with the 3nm pro versions rated OD5 and much higher transmission levels. 

Can't find anyone selling in the UK but in the US Agena astro has the 3nm Ha in stock. 

https://agenaastro.com/antlia-3-0nm-narrowband-h-alpha-ha-pro-imaging-filter-2-mounted.html

Emil

On 11/07/2020 at 13:45, Wyvernp said:

Interesting when you compare to the baader 7nm. I believe there are 20x 300s here

0819B55F-07FF-4CA7-8DC8-9C2E5659277D.jpeg.802c9b5002451ab821ac9da613a614f2.jpeg

I have to say this is not the experience I had with my Baader 7nm. Ha was always clean with nice small stars. Great filter and I'd never hesitate to recommend.

Those Antlias look good though!

7 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I have to say this is not the experience I had with my Baader 7nm. Ha was always clean with nice small stars. Great filter and I'd never hesitate to recommend.

Those Antlias look good though!

I thought that looks more like a sii stack

Emil