NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice needed please...

Hi folks its been many years since I was last on this site, tragically we moved and my scope got packed away and in the process tripod broken - so I've decided to have a go again at star gazing, but obviously need a new tripod. My setup is very basic - a starwatcher Refractor scope D102 and I think the mount is an EQ1. Both scope and mount are fine but obviously just need tripod. Can anyone advise as to whether I could purchase a more substantial tripod than the original aluminium one that broke - and any recommendations if so? Whatever tripod I get does it have to be mount specific?I really don't want to go to all the faff and expense of getting another mount if I can avoid it?

Kind regards

ALIMG_0872.thumb.jpeg.05f679fcd1e2b5ff9570e50c26e67b5b.jpegIMG_0871.thumb.jpeg.dbb747cdbeeb8c6ee3660b3d1505f130.jpeg

You can replace the whole EQ1 mount for around £75.00 or just get a replacement tripod from the website below for around £40 delivered or just the EQ1 head for somewhat less if the legs from the old one can be reused:

https://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot

I think they probably have just some EQ1 legs on there somewhere if you have a browse.

Alternatively you could put a "wanted" advert in our classifieds section or on UK Astro Buy & Sell and see what comes up.

• Like 1

The EQ-1 is a very lightweight and wobbly mount. Since it is broken, that is the perfect excuse to bin it (mount and tripod) and upgrade to something better within your price range. You should then find that your telescope is easier to use and you may see more with it. Scopes can be attached to any modern mount via tube rings and a standard dovetail. If you don't have a suitable dovetail you can buy one of a suitable length and bolt it to the tube rings in your photo.

PS I think I have the same scope as you, and I use it on a SLT GoTo mount with stiffer wooden legs, or an AZ-4 steel legged mount.

• Like 2

+1 for replacing the EQ1, treat yourself and the scope to something better.  After my experience with an ST80 on an EQ1 I would never have a tripod with those aluminium square section legs again, tubular steel all the way for me (or wooden if I could afford a good one).  The ST80 was far better than the EQ1 it came with, all it needed was a decent mount.

Edited by jonathan

1 minute ago, Dave Lloyd said:

I find the aluminium tripod my old eq1 sat on works great with a star adventurer and camera. That's probably its limit though. It was rocky with an st102. 

I just couldn't get on with the friction clamps, eventually two of mine broke (they are just thin plastic) so I had to use jubilee clips and glue to hold them together, never really worked very well after that.  Maybe I just got a bad one, but the friction between plastic, aluminium and aluminium just wasn't there for me when I tried to use it with the legs extended.

• Like 1

I used to use one of the aluminium tripods when I started planetary imaging, but I did make sure it was all properly tightened up and then put some stones into the spreader tray to stabilise it further.

I'd agree that Astroboot is probably the place to get a replacement leg, but as a relatively cheap upgrade, this might be tempting (no connection with the seller):

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=160951

The OP wouldn't even need to buy a dovetail, either :)

James

Quote from the original post folks:

"...I really don't want to go to all the faff and expense of getting another mount if I can avoid it?..."

And now we are talking about £370 tripods ....... really ????? :rolleyes2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

Quote from the original post folks:

"...I really don't want to go to all the faff and expense of getting another mount if I can avoid it?..."

And now we are talking about £370 tripods ....... really ????? :rolleyes2:

I think the thread drifted slightly ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/05/2020 at 20:25, Louis D said:

There is nothing wrong with aluminum legs when done properly.  I really like using the Manfrotto 058B tripod under my DSV-2B mount for alt-az.

Ha!  Well there is a subtle difference between an EQ1 and just about anything with the name Manfrotto stamped on it, not just the price.   I'd argue that the shape of those legs on the Manfrotto is undoubtedly a major part of it, that and the extension mechanism.

• Like 1

never seen the EQ1 in the flesh but the EQ2 I have and one of the EQ5's has the sliding box ally legs and they seem fine. Also have one EQ5 on the tubular legs which I can't say is so much better, but then I mainly have the legs fully retracted. For the locking screws, yes you need to be careful not to over-tighten and as someone else I think here notes in a refurb project on the EQ1, some washers under the thumbscrew help to reduce that risk which of course leads to the plastic breaking.

As John mentions, astroboot do have the legs so a quick cheap fix to get going again if that's all that's needed :) 

So far tho I've yet to find a round accessory tray for my older tubular steel legged tripod.