Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"The Kraken" Mk I DIY binocular fork mount/tripod

Constructed of only the finestĀ hand-selected 2" scaffolding tube and clamps, the Kraken Mk I observation binocular fork mount boasts an integratedĀ tripodĀ and tips the scale at a svelte 30kg šŸ¤£Ā 

Designed toĀ provide vibration and shake-free viewing forĀ the heaviest observation binoculars under any weather condition.

Properly torqued, the clamps areĀ rated to withstand an applied slipload of 900kg.

Not recommended for trekking orĀ small children.

Total cost <Ā£30 for:

3 x swivel arms

2 x 90deg elbows

1 x tee-clampĀ 

2 x flange arms

2 x plastic end caps

šŸ¤ŸĀ Pipe was freeĀ šŸ¤Ÿ

IMG_20200423_161236719.jpg

IMG_20200423_162546508_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20200423_161354427.jpg

IMG_20200423_160553720_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20200423_162601835_PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 23
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, andrew s said:

That's my king of engineering.Ā  Excellent work.

Ā 

Regards AndrewĀ 

Thanks! I scavenged the pipe from a skip and bought the clamps online. the Mk II refinements will include a proper azimuth bearing and a few other small tweaks but it's pretty much there.Ā It's rock-solid!

• Like 1

I remember articles on building mounts from gas pipes and fittings. Lapping the threads to make smooth bearings. Now we have CNC machines and 3 D printing but still room for creative use of everyday items.

Regards AndrewĀ 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, andrew s said:

I remember articles on building mounts from gas pipes and fittings. Lapping the threads to make smooth bearings. Now we have CNC machines and 3 D printing but still room for creative use of everyday items.

Regards AndrewĀ 

Indeed, with some refinements this is really a decent home set-up. Not very portable, though the galvanised coating means you could easily leave the tripod/forkĀ outside or preferably in a shed without any fuss.

I'd be tempted to go one further. Add a longer horizontal pipe to off set the head so you can get comfortable on a sun lounger.Ā 

A counter weight and pivoting head would help as well.Ā 

Great job and very inventive use of materials.

• Thanks 1

Wondered which van the pipe had fallen off šŸ˜‰Ā  Guess it can be left outside in all weathers!

Looks like you need a bigger set of bins! You could run these as a kit, but like Peterson does.

Ā 

peter

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

I'd be tempted to go one further. Add a longer horizontal pipe to off set the head so you can get comfortable on a sun lounger.Ā 

A counter weight and pivoting head would help as well.Ā 

Great job and very inventive use of materials.

Great idea! This set-up is very modular so can be altered with an 8mm hex. I just received the clamps today so planning on adding lots of little touches over the summer.Ā 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Wondered which van the pipe had fallen off šŸ˜‰Ā  Guess it can be left outside in all weathers!

Looks like you need a bigger set of bins! You could run these as a kit, but like Peterson does.

Ā 

peter

Definitely weather proof! All galvanised or stainless materials except the M8x1.0 bolts holding the binoculars. Definitely need an angle grinder with cutoff disc to cut this pipe though. I'm working with a supplier to perhaps do some kits. A really good home setup with a few mods in the works.

20 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

Ā I just received the clamps today so planning on adding lots of little touches over the summer

Fantastic stuff... It'll be very interesting to see these 'little touches' take shape....lookin forward to it...

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. I need to refine the alt/az bearing system, just a matter of finding the right size bearings and perhaps nylon shims etc online. It's relatively crude looking at the moment, but I kind of like the look. Want to add spacer sleeves so the binoculars are away from the forks more, but they don't rub as it is. Nothing comes in contact with the paint of course.Ā 

I thought about adding counterweights, etc but will try to avoid that to keep it uncluttered and free of snags from walking around it at night. It actually doesn't need counterweights, it's that solid.

I'm sure it could easily hold any size refractor as well for a super duty alt/az mount.Ā Ā I've been wanting a 'cheap' 152mm achromatic to try out any way.Ā 

More to come!Ā šŸ‘

Ā