NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello!

Suzi

Hello! Yet another newbie here. :) My name is Suzi and I'll soon be living in Somerset, UK. I bought my partner a Skywatcher Explorer 130PM for Christmas. However, neither of us know what we are doing and would like to ask those in the know a few questions. I'm hoping I made a good choice in buying the above telescope. It appears to have good reviews and recommendations. We just need to learn how to use it now!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am that partner in question :)

Name is Matt and I'm 24 and now just waiting for some nice days to go outside and take a peek. I'm looking forward to seeing the moon when it gets a bit bigger. Read someone else's welcome post who has the same kit as me and said he could see Saturns rings really clearly so that's definitely something I will be looking for shortly too.

Some of the things that I'd like to know firstly is how people carry it around and store it when not using it etc. I was thinking of getting a toolbox to put some of the bits in for example, do other people do this?

Something for the future that I'd be interested in is being able to take some pictures using my digital camera, an Eos 350D.

Looks like this site is a good community and I hope to make some nice friends here :p

hello and welcome to SGL. Nice scope - skywatcher is kind ofthe "industry standard" first scope, as is the book, "Turn Left at Orion".

Ikeep my bits 'n pieces in a sort of big metal flowerpot thingy :oops: but a toolbox would probably be better. You can buy foam too and cut out the sections for eyepieces etc.

enjoy - this is a great hobby :)

Hi Suzi and Matt, and a warm welcome to SGL.

I'm sure you'll find other members on here, using the 130PM, and who will be happy to share their experiences with you.

As suggested 'Turn left at orion', is an excellent book to get you started.

Remember, the only silly question here on SGL, is the one you didn't ask. So ask away, and there will be someone here who can help.

Enjoy SGL.

Dave

Welcome Suzi and Matt, the 130pm was my first scope and I loved it. Your going to see loads of things with it. Start off with the moon, The Plaedes (seven sisters), and the Orion nebula. Just find Orion, look at the "sword" that hangs from his belt, and point your scope at the middle "star", relax and take some time to let your eye really see it. It's pretty amazing first time.

Oh, and when Saturn rises at a sensible time next month, it will blow your socks off. Guaranteed.

:) Hi Suzi and Matt, welcome to SGL.

Saturn's rings are a bit 'flat' right now, so if you can't see them, don't worry.. it's Saturn, not your scope. :laugh: We're seeing them nearly edge-on now, but as the planet moves from Leo towards Virgo in the next few years you'll be able to see the rings opening up again.

As far as storing eyepieces and things, I use what we call a 'tackle box' here in the States. It's what fishermen put their lures and hooks in, and the little segmented compartments are great in keeping things separated.

Enjoy your scope, and please feel free to post your discoveries :p in the Observing Zone.. newbie reports always bring back a lot of pleasant memories and we look forward to reading them.

Hello Suzi and matt

a very warm to the both of you to sgl please feel free to ask any questions you wish and somebody will be more than happy to help you both this is a happy place filled with very knowledgeable people who love to pass on what we have learned so keep those questions coming wishing you dark skies and good seeing

regards Pete

Hello Suzi and Matt and a warm welcome to SGL. :)

I have the same scope and am more than pleased with it, as a beginner like yourselves. ( but do not expect to see views like the photos in magazines. The views I get are more like the drawings in the book " Turn Left at Orion.")

Don't foreget to get a small red light torch as this saves your night vision when you have to look at charts or books when out observing.

Happy New Year

phillc :wave:

Hi from me too - the 130PM my first scope this this time round ( I am a returnee to the hobby ) and its a good bit of kit. I just wrapped mine in a blanket for transport/storage and put the eyepieces and odd and ends in flight case maplins.

Its a great bit of kit and loads of people have owned one as a first scope. Its friendly here so any questions just ask away.

Hello! Yet another newbie here. :hello2: My name is Suzi and I'll soon be living in Somerset, UK. I bought my partner a Skywatcher Explorer 130PM for Christmas. However, neither of us know what we are doing and would like to ask those in the know a few questions. I'm hoping I made a good choice in buying the above telescope. It appears to have good reviews and recommendations. We just need to learn how to use it now!

Hello and welcome to SGL! I live in Warminster, not that far from you i am guessing:) Very nice prezzie indeed :D There is the Wiltshire astronomy club which i am a member of which is very worth while as i have learnt tons about astronomy through it!

Maybe worth a look?

Dave.

Hi Suzi and Matt and welcome to SGL. I too am a newbie and picked up my first scope a 130 PM last week. I saw Venus for the first time the other evening, it was incredble. I have learn't more in the week I have been on this site than all the weeks I spent reading up before. They are a very friendly bunch with a tremendous wealth of knowledge that they are only too happy to share with us newcomers.

Terry

Hello, welcome to the forum. Follow ZOG's advice, choose the moon and a few Deep Sky objects for starters, M45 and M42 certainly, and don't forget M44 the Beehive a bit later in the night, your scope should be ideal for that! TLAO will show you where it is!

This is a disappointing time for planets I'm afraid, as Carol said Saturn's rings are edge-on (a rare event, only happens every 13 years or so) and difficult for visual in a Newtonian. Wait till next year perhaps. Jupiter and Mars are out of view (though Jupiter will be back later in the year): Venus is prominent but don't expect much in the scope though the phases will be easy to follow. But good luck with whatever you aim for!

.. or get a regular torch and paint it with red nail varnish :hello2:

...or a cycle rear lamp :D. But have the batteries somewhat depleted, otherwise it'll be too bright!

Hi Suzi and welcome, I'm new to SGL also and I'm in the same position as you. Santa brought my daughter an 'Orion Space Probe 3EQ Refector' for xmas and I am about to attempt to polar align it as the skies here in the north east are clear as ice!!! Wish me luck :?

Archived