Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Stuff Price Increases Next Year ??

jcm

Some astro dealers are talking about price increases in the New Year. The pound falling against other currencies is probably the main reason. I wish I had bought a QHY8 last summer when the pound was much stronger against the Euro/$ etc.

John

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I trhink we are going to be in this position for some time to come John. :(

Currently the £ is worth just $1.47 US. :D

Even the Aussie dollar is now only 2.1 to the pound, whereas when I was out there in October, a pound would get you $2.45 AU.

Dave

I know the feeling John,

I've been saving for a new camera too and thought the 2.5% vat reduction would help.

unfortunately that was short lived and the price of the camera I was interested has now jumped up in price by £140 :(

Guess I'll have to wait a little longer

It baffles me a bit this money merry go round. People are going to be very reluctant to spend money on goods that are not essential, and the non essential, (and I know we like Astro Goodies) are going to be very low priority, if just for the sake of domestic harmony. So, why don't the manufacturers, and dealers, not keep the prices low.? Better a low profit margin, than non at all.

I've just read this back to myself, and it reads like codswallap. But see if you can unravel it.

Ron.

When the pound was at an exchange of 2.0 dollars to a pound I cannot recall the prices dropping by a proportionate percentage. They all seemed to remain as when the pound was at 1.5 dollars about 15-18 months ago. :mrgreen:

Strange they don't seem to go down when we have a strong pound, but do go up when it weakens. :crybaby:

When the pound was at an exchange of 2.0 dollars to a pound I cannot recall the prices dropping by a proportionate percentage. They all seemed to remain as when the pound was at 1.5 dollars about 15-18 months ago. :mrgreen:

Strange they don't seem to go down when we have a strong pound, but do go up when it weakens. :crybaby:

Yep, It's a game called "They Win, We Lose." Always.

Ron. :(

In the early 80's the pound to the dollar was around 1.50. Over a year there are significant changes in the rate. It got up to 2 and it was good holidaying in the US. Several years ago we had an exchange rate (buying) at 1.35.

I think the pound to the euro is more significant.

John

Celestron and Meade are both US companies and sell in dollars. German manufacturers will sell in euros but a UK business will do either pound to euro or pound to dollar payments depending on who they buy off. Electronic payments also have less costs on them. I assume that retailers have entered the electronic age. :scratch:

I bought my binoculars, 2 sets, from the US as even after shipping and duty they were significantly less then buying them from the UK. That was when they were at 1.53 dollars to the pound. Also the best service I have had as well. :(:D:lol:

Seems strange that retailers don't seem to think that people use the internet, can compare US prices and do a simple dollar to pound conversion. I do. :mrgreen:

I think that some of you are missing one or two key ingredients as where the pricing of astro kit is concerned.

It's not retailers that keep prices inflated nor the added VAT or the strength of the Dollar/Euro its suppliers and manufacturers that dictate prices. (though i do understand that some retailers have a higher profit margin to gain than others)

When I purchased the binoculars I was trying to decide on which one of two options to get here in the UK. One set cost £169, the other were £99. The more expensive were slightly better optically but not by a lot. :(

I found a site in the US with the same binoculars. Their prices were so good that I found I could get both for somewhat less then the cost of the most expensive here in the UK. :D:lol:

When I purchased them I had to pay $40 shipping and the duty on them when they arrived, about £25-27 if I recall. But when added up I paid a total of £163 for both sets. In effect I got the £99 ones free. :cheers: And as said that was when it was $1.53 to the pound, similar (not the same exactly but similar) to now.

No idea if there are similar possibilities with telescopes but always worth looking and asking. Agreed that you do have to consider shipping and then duty.

In speaking to people I find that we simply expect the same in pounds as the items cost in dollars. Why? When the new ETX-LS is available I will be looking at the overall cost of that. I do not intend to pay £1299 (= £870ish.)

If I could purchase from the US at $1299, with say $50 shipping, about $1350 (=~£900), 15% duty equals £135 so a total of £1035. Some £260+ down on a straight dollar to pound conversion.

Slight problem , Capricorn - Meade , Celestron + others - will not supply you if you order from overseas. My wifes sister lives in New York - I am thinking of asking her to buy some stuff for me and when we visit later on in the year , pick it up.

John

I am going to put a word in here on behalf of the retailers guys.

People in this country are always constantly gripping on about the cost of everything.

It appears we always expect almost something for nothing these days and that the words profit margins are almost like some four letter word.

People forget this is how some people try and earn a living believe it or not its their livelyhood, we are quick enough to ask or demand extra pay for the work we do but it seems to me that retailers are excluded from this. And I have to say that is totally unfair and borders on a totally selfish attitude. The simple fact of life is that we have become spoilt over the years as mass manufacturing has slowly reduced the cost of things and has actually dropped a lot of stuff below its true cost if you think the price for telescopes and photographic equipment is high now along with many other goods then you should have seen how much buying something like that back in the 50's 60's and even 70's would have set you back in most cases getting on towards a whole years pay.

People talk of £1000 nowdays, as if it were nothing back in those days £1000 was an absolute fortune you could have kept a family for over a year on that sort of money and I'm not joking so before we all get too carried away with this self centred licking of wounds just bear in mind the real cost of some of these items we have come to take for granted .

I have waited the best part of 30 years to be able to afford my current kit and i for one totally appreciate it and am very grateful for being able to have what is to all intent and purpose a professional instrument to use at my leisure. so come on guys be fair retailers and manufacturers have to make a living to and they also have to pay the cost of super high tax just like the rest of us but they also have the extra costs of paying for other peoples livelyhoods to

regards Pete

I know it is not as simple as requesting a telescope from the Meade or Celestron. But the point really is that it could be worth looking and asking some of the retailers in the US. The bins I bought were from a site that has a sister site selling scopes. So as getting binoculars through them was easy just maybe getting a scope may be possible.

At the end of the day a few emails asking isn't a great deal of effort. :)

If your sister sends anything over have her open the original box and have it sent therefore as "used". Don't think there is duty on used items. But check in case. :scratch:

To Timetraveller, yep retailers need to have fair profit margins and when I go through the figures for small scopes the cost here and in the US come out not too different for the smaller scopes - taking our higher VAT into account. However for the bigger scopes the cost here is higher. My original point was that the strong pound against the dollar didn't seem to lead to lower costs here to the public. Actually a smallish scope I fancied went up in price, and now no doubt owing to the weak pound it will go up again. :crybaby:

One other question to TT: What are your Miranda bins like? I have a set of electric zoom ones and I love them. :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

In the end the weak pound will lead to higher prices, unless the producers cut costs and that will lead to poorer quality no doubt.

hello capricorn

my miranda bins are excellent i have had them for quite a few years now and they still give excellent optical sound views of whatever im looking at i seem to remember they were not that expensive either when i bought them. My current ones are only 10x50's and in truth i would love a bigger pair if my piggy bank ever gets enough pennies to eat it looks more like a little pigglet than a porker shame i hearyou cry but back onto the choosen subject having a pair allready I would not hesitate to buy another set of miranda's superb value for money IMHO

regards Pete

I'm about to buy my first scope, probably a Celestron CPC 800. I'll probably be speaking with Steve at FLO but unless he can offer some kind of deal I'll be buying it from a US supplier. The cost difference, after duty etc would buy a number of nice eyepieces, a torch, external power supply, a few books, binoculars and a full tank of petrol. The base price is about $1500 now. I think it's £1500 at FLO.

I feel a bit sorry for UK retailers that have to buy at inflated prices but for me it's about getting value for money, and if I can get my iPod or bike or stereo etc at a 30% reduction by buying via the US then I will do.

It's all well and good buying an Ipod from the US but I would be damn scared buying an CPC800. Imagine the amount of banging about that crate will get on it's travels.

Also sending back to FLO if it has a fault is alot less hassle then sending back to the US.

I would think twice.

I'm about to buy my first scope, probably a Celestron CPC 800. I'll probably be speaking with Steve at FLO but unless he can offer some kind of deal I'll be buying it from a US supplier. The cost difference, after duty etc would buy a number of nice eyepieces, a torch, external power supply, a few books, binoculars and a full tank of petrol. The base price is about $1500 now. I think it's £1500 at FLO.

I feel a bit sorry for UK retailers that have to buy at inflated prices but for me it's about getting value for money, and if I can get my iPod or bike or stereo etc at a 30% reduction by buying via the US then I will do.

You will find that no reputable US dealer will sell you a Celestron or Meade scope to ship to the UK as both companies restrict their dealers from doing so.

For us in the €uro zone, buying in Britain and paying postage is the way to go at the moment. The expected price rises on imports into Britain will still not put the prices up to where they are here in France for Astro and camera gear.

At the moment with the £ crashing, any money due to us from the UK and in our bank account has lost nearly a third of it's value when we transfer it to the €uro, so buying in Britain is a viable idea.

Archie

Hello,

Good to hear from you..,

So pleased to know someone else isn't laying down to accept higher UK reseller pricing. :p

Unfortunately, you're going to need to be creative in pursuing a US-sourced Celestron telescope as the major US astronomy retailers all have restrictive vendor agreements that prohibits them from directly selling telescopes and mounts outside of the US.

All is not lost though - this restriction does_not_apply to "Open Box", "Returned" or "Demo" classified products - distance aside - these still fall under warranty too!

Found this out when looking to buy a CGE in late 2007. After comparing (to me, insane) pricing on top of the 6 - 8 week wait :x , I called a US shop to get shipping quotes, when they said that they couldn't actually sell one to me because of their agreement with Celestron.

BUUUUTTTTT..., they did say that if I'm happy to, they could sell and ship one of their (by the way, even cheaper) ex-demo CGE mounts instead. To be honest, I didn't believe it at first, so I asked them to hold the mount for me whilst I checked and asked around on CN and AMart - I even called Celestron at their Torrance offices to confirm - and it IS true!

Bottom line - I don't shop UK-retail - period.

Don't get me wrong - this isn't a turn-key option as the product you want / need may not be available as "Open Box", "Returned" or "Demo" when you need it.

Of course, if you have relatives / folks in the US that are happy to relay the goods, then that's another option anyways.

I know that there are those that place a value on the usefulness of "the local astro shop" - they're entitled to their views. I however have no real reason to believe that the person with the English accent at the local shop knows any more than anyone anywhere else. :)

By all means, don't just take my word for it though - Have a look yourself!

Regards,

astro84

Archived