Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to Polar Align without being able to see Polaris

Hi folks,

I want to move my observing location but it means I will not be able to see Polaris to Polar align.

I have a Celestron AVX mount and currently I manually adjust the Azimuth and Latitude to center Polaris for alignment.

Then I use the NexStar+ hand control to do a 2 star align (plus 1 calibration star).

But how can I do the initial Polar alignment without being able to see Polaris?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi I have the same problem I can't see Polaris it's behind the roof of next doors house I use this app and can even do polar alignment in the day time it seems to work ok for the tiny cost of £3.09

The app is polaraliner pro it does it all compass , tripod level , mount polar alignment

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_kechko.Polaralignment&hl=en_US

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neil H said:

Hi I have the same problem I can't see Polaris it's behind the roof of next doors house I use this app and can even do polar alignment in the day time it seems to work ok for the tiny cost of £3.09

The app is polaraliner pro it does it all compass , tripod level , mount polar alignment

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_kechko.Polaralignment&hl=en_US

Looks like a bargain to me.

4 hours ago, Neil H said:

Nice one Neil 👍🏻 I think I’ll give that a whirl. Simple to use yes?

Yes it is you can also calibrate the level so you know it's spot on , when you go into polar scope just click on daytime polar alignment and away you go I used a spare dove tail to mount my phone on then put this in the EQ mount to polar align

How did you mount your phone in your dove tail? A phone bracket or something or tape or something?

So I’d have my phone somehow on my dove tail, PA it, then slide my tube into the dove tail, is that how it’s done?

6 minutes ago, pblackwell said:

How did you mount your phone in your dove tail? A phone bracket or something or tape or something?

So I’d have my phone somehow on my dove tail, PA it, then slide my tube into the dove tail, is that how it’s done?

You could buy a cheap case for your phone and glue that to an old dovetail bar or even a piece of wood. Put the phone in the case and clamp in, then align, then switch over to the scope (trying not to knock anything in the process!)

Am I missing something? The OP has a Celestron mount, yet nobody has mentioned Celestron's excellent All Star Polar Alignment (ASPA) routine simply using the HC.

There is an excellent Dylan O'Donnell "How to" video on YouTube.

37 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

You could buy a cheap case for your phone and glue that to an old dovetail bar or even a piece of wood. Put the phone in the case and clamp in, then align, then switch over to the scope (trying not to knock anything in the process!)

🤔that could work couldn’t it. Thanks Craig

5 minutes ago, noah4x4 said:

Am I missing something? The OP has a Celestron mount, yet nobody has mentioned Celestron's excellent All Star Polar Alignment (ASPA) routine simply using the HC.

There is an excellent Dylan O'Donnell "How to" video on YouTube.

ASPA is different to the 2 or 3 star alignment on the HC? Or is it the same thing?

16 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

Visit 

Who is awesome? YOU ARE AWESOME!

Its a nice clear day today so I'm going to test this out from my normal spot where I can see Polaris and see if this works. Will let you know.

Thanks so much! will let peeps know

Paul

5 hours ago, pblackwell said:

Who is awesome? YOU ARE AWESOME!

Its a nice clear day today so I'm going to test this out from my normal spot where I can see Polaris and see if this works. Will let you know.

Thanks so much! will let peeps know

Paul

It will work without sight of Polaris, but first make sure your Hand Controller firmware is up to date.

The Firmware for AVX mount and ASPA was updated around two years ago to eliminate a bug in the routine. Whilst that is a while ago, it can take two years from manufacture to delivery. Visit the Celestron website 'firmware history 'page for more details. 

EDIT

Suggest you first attempt this with an eyepiece, albeit Dylan demonstrates with camera and cross hair software. Both work, but with eyepiece (rather than camera) it is one less thing to user error upon.

Edited by noah4x4

On 15/03/2020 at 21:34, pblackwell said:

Hi 2 small bolts at the bottom the phone sits on them so you know it level and an elastic band on top part of phone