Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StarGazers Lounge - Blog

Hi everyone,

Following our recent string of user promotions, we already have a great new feature for you all, this is thanks to alot of talk between the mods, global mods and admin and the great idea by Rog (celescope) :lol:

Basically, we wanted a place to serve as a permanant home and resource for some of the images and observation reports that get posted in the forum. We've setup a blog, (button in the navigation bar at the top, or go to http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/blog) where we intend to setup a page per object of any interesting objects and also the monthly comparative objects. We hope to have on each page, some example images, some star charts, some tips on observing, some observation reports and some image processing tips. Also, some facts about that object. At the moment the blog contains a few sparse, example pages, to give you all something to look at, over time we hope this becomes a great resource for astronomers of all levels and we also hope that you all will contribute making this a true team effort.

At some point we will announce the names of someone from the mods/global mods/admin team who will become the editor of the blog, there job will be to collect up all the snippets from different people and add it to the blog. You can then send any contributions you might have to that person.

Please post any ideas of feedback you might have here,

Thanks,

Grant

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic idea Grant. Depends on us making it work doesn't it. Will be a really good resource if we manage to get the contributions. I can see you have put in a load of work already/ :thumbleft:

All the content so far is from Rog, James and Damien, so thank them :) I just make the techy stuff work :lol:

On a side note (self plug and all) if any member of the SGL forums would like their own blogging system, I will set them one up for free, with a template of their choosing from any on http://themes.wordpress.net/ if you order a hosting plan from http://iseeonline.net :)

Cheers,

Grant

Yep, assuming you use the main forum theme and not the colourful button version... if your using the colourful button version, then that would also be why you didn't see the logo change.

Thanks Mick, we're hoping this will keep growing and growing, but we need to spread the word around and get as many people to read it as possible.

We also want as much feedback we can get, what kind of things do you guys want the blog to offer? What kind of information would be useful to you? Also, feel free to nominate any objects you think deserve a page :) Or, send us some content and we just might add a page that you've written! How good is that for service :lol:

Thanks,

Grant

I was thinking (and dont wish to steal the limelight of the blog away) but would a wiki be of use to collect a body of knowledge on all subjects astronomy related? The idea is that everyone can contribute and update the pages and they are not linear as a blog is. Im sure you've all seen wiki's, the most famous the the (famous) wikipedia. I was thinking on the lines of the wikipedia but for astro related things. Just thinking out loud again, ignore me if i make no sense :lol:

We talked about a wiki awhile ago, but for compiling peoples reviews and opinions on astronomy products such as eyepieces, telescopes etc... The idea kind of fizzled out, I'm not sure there would be the interest in people adding to it, just look how many people read Wikipedia and how many people add to it.

If enough people were interested and commited to adding information to a wiki I would be happy to set one up on a trial basis. However, the idea of the blog is that people submit any contributions they have to one of the admin/mods team. These contributions will then be added to the blog so it becomes a sort of community led magazine. Feel free to send anything you have to me or any other admin/mod and we will pass it around to the appropriate people...

Cheers,

Grant

Take a look at wikipedias offering: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Astronomy

Any wiki that we create from scratch will by definition be empty. We should join forces with all astronomers and add our content to the most popular wiki on the web rather than secularising ourselves. Took a bit of thought but this seems the best route for wiki lovers.

Archived