Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Fox, a Christmas Tree and a Cone.

RobH

Hello folks,

I went for this last year when I'd first got my atik 16HR, and was surprised how faint the nebula was.

At the time, I binned my subs 2x2 to increase sensitivity, but was never happy with the resultant lack of resolution.

This year I wanted to have a go with unbinned subs, so, if I wanted a decent signal to noise ratio, I knew I'd need more subs.

This was imaged on the 7th, 9th,10th,11th & 12th December.

The dreaded bug laid me low for a while so I've only just got round to processing it properly and was hoping for a break in the weather to do a RGB starfield but the weather appears to have other plans! :D

As I've had to put another guidescope ring towards the back of the image train, to support the camera and heavy filter wheel, which were sagging and flexing a lot, the field is not terribly flat, as I think I overcompensated a bit....it's all rather Heath-Robinson....consequently I had a bit of work to do on the starfield.

Imaged with the WO80mm, Atik 16HR, Celestron 0.63x focal reducer.

All subs are 8 minutes unbinned.

Ha is red, OIII is blue

Green was synthesised with Noels' actions.

Ha was also used as a luminance layer.

Ha x 80

OIII x 18

Total integration time. 13 hours 4 minutes.

Hope you like it :lol:

A very fine Christmas and a great and prosperous New Year to you all. :(

Cheers

Rob

11081_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was gonna have a crak at some of that tonight. Do you image it before the meridian flip, before and after, or just after???

Hello TJ.

As Peter says...tha advantage of a fork mount is no meridian flip. It's something I'm going to have to deal with shortly when the new gear arrives :(

This was a run of 113 subs originally, but the usual problem caused me to chuck some. To end up with that many, basically, once it was above 35 degrees, I just kept shooting night after night until it either got light, the clouds came in, or I had to go to bed!....rather dull but it paid off in the processing as the Ha is really smooth.

Thanks guys and have fun....

Cheers

Rob

Rob you certainly produce the results, the contrast detail on that cone I don't think I've seen to that degree from a backyard imager.

80x8 min subs that is persistence and with narrowband persistence = smoothness. Top class result. :salute:

Although not an imager myself, pictures like this make my day. Beautiful. Thanks Rob and all of you who give the rest of us something to wonder at, and marvel at the skill and dedication needed to achieve such results.

Seasons greetings to all and lets hope for better weather in 2009.

Archived