Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first Mosaic

assouptro

Hi fellow stargazers! 

well so far it has been a poor winter here in the North West of the uk and I have rarely been able to enjoy the night sky for what seems like months now! 
I started this mosaic in November and although I am not completely happy with the last few sessions due to high cloud, wind, moon etc I thought I’d have a go at putting it together. 
firstly, I can’t believe how easy APP is at piecing together a mosaic! It stitched it together seamlessly with digital algorithmic glue that encourages me to keep on doing mosaic images once the clouds allow. 
The image is of the Soul Nebula and contains about 48 hours of data. 
I need to learn some subtle processing techniques to try and reduce the stretching of the data from effecting the stars as they have bloated slightly and where I could see space between seemingly close stars they have melded together which is a bit annoying, but this hobby always needs further research. 

Imaging scope: revelation Astro ed100

Camera: Atik 460 mono

Filters: Astrodon ha, oiii, sii 5nm

mount: AZEQ6 

data acquired with Artemis Capture

calibrated and stacked in APP

tweaked in PS  

Calibration frames used: darks, flats, dark flats, bias, bad pixel map

There are talented folk on this forum that could have made much better use of this data but here is my result for my efforts so far

thanks for looking and any comments/ criticism welcome. 

Bryan 

627C2D23-FEA2-4737-88DF-4074AC370234.jpeg

• Like 16

Very nice Bryan - I like it a lot.

I'm a big fan of mosaics and of APP - it does a great job so easily - a task that is a real challenge in PI.

Starnet++ is great for sorting out stars. It runs as a command line application on a PC (? - not tried this myself) and a Mac (I'm not a fan of Terminal) or will run from within PI as a Process on the PC. Once you've stretched the image a bit you can remove the stars and create a star only image (can be used as a mask) and a separate starless image. You can then continue to stretch the starless image and add back the stars once you've done. Straton will also remove stars but not imho not as well as Starnet++.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

12 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice Bryan - I like it a lot.

I'm a big fan of mosaics and of APP - it does a great job so easily - a task that is a real challenge in PI.

Starnet++ is great for sorting out stars. It runs as a command line application on a PC (? - not tried this myself) and a Mac (I'm not a fan of Terminal) or will run from within PI as a Process on the PC. Once you've stretched the image a bit you can remove the stars and create a star only image (can be used as a mask) and a separate starless image. You can then continue to stretch the starless image and add back the stars once you've done. Straton will also remove stars but not imho not as well as Starnet++.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for your comment and suggestion. 

I  had a play with Starnet a couple of months ago just to see if I could get it to work, and it did! I just need to play a bit more to learn how to “gather” the removed stars and then reapply them to the final image. 

cheers 

Bryan 

1 hour ago, domstar said:

Stunning image. I called my son over to show him. Big respect.

That’s high praise! 
I hope your son liked it! 
Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Thats a wonderful first. Love the details and colour.

Thank you for the kind words 

Bryan 

6 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Well done - cracking image.

I haven't ever attempted a mosaic - yet!

Well done.

Thanks David 

I was only able to do this thanks to astropixel processor, the program makes it so simple, and I wouldn’t have downloaded APP if I wasn’t looking for a way to deal with column defects! 
as someone once said...
“all’s well that that ends well!” 

Thanks again 

Bryan 

8 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Wow, great image. I hope to do a mosaic some day, may I ask if there is a good reference that documents the concept and challenges associated with mosaics?

Thanks Submarina

I’m sure there is loads of reference material out there that would cover your questions but as I was using Astro pixel processor I got a head start. By watching Sara Wager’s YouTube video 

I hope that helps. 

thanks 

Bryan