NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

1 minute ago, lifeonmars said:

Thanks very much for all your help on that one,it updated ok in the end ,just seemed strange.would have expected the reboot  dialogue just to finish automatically,thanks again panic over!

Now when is the rain going to stop and the skys clear is the next question.

Cheers Frank

Frank. Good you got there after a wait. Mine didn’t seem to hesitate and re connected to the mount without any assistance??!!  With this sort of stuff I am usually waiting for things to fail. 🥲👎

While I’m here. A question I do have. Recently added the Rowan “handle” to my AZ100. 
Get the impression it may fowl on the mount if I go for a target with a high altitude. I know you can set limits to where the mount will slew. May I ask if you have done this, what limits/ settings eg 70” altitude you may have input into the mount. 
Regards. John 

41 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Frank. Good you got there after a wait. Mine didn’t seem to hesitate and re connected to the mount without any assistance??!!  With this sort of stuff I am usually waiting for things to fail. 🥲👎

While I’m here. A question I do have. Recently added the Rowan “handle” to my AZ100. 
Get the impression it may fowl on the mount if I go for a target with a high altitude. I know you can set limits to where the mount will slew. May I ask if you have done this, what limits/ settings eg 70” altitude you may have input into the mount. 
Regards. John 

I have my panhandle attached to the top hole of the bracket that's attached to a saddle on the right side of the mount the telescope being on the left and there it only touched the azimuth clutch when pointing straight up in only one place so it is not an issue for me there. I had Rowan make be a shorter panhandle so if your problem if more that the panhandle is too long you can have a custom shorter one made.

The Y axis balancer also has a threaded hole for the panhandle and inserted there it should not foul the mount at all. I am waiting for an altitude axis spacer so that it clears with my prototype Y axis balancer and I believe that once the YAB is available so will an altitude axis spacer so that the D style saddle can accept the YAB and clear the mount with it on the left hand side. I think that the dual saddle on the left with the YAB and panhandle will clear without the spacer, but I like having the D style saddle on the left side.

1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

Regards. John 

Hi John

Presuming you have the saddle on the right of the mount John , I have the Rowan mount atop a skywatcher 200mm pillar and is attached to a Berlebach Planet the end of the panhandle as you approach the zenith could do with being 15mm shorter.

I can live with that at the minute  so I haven't set any limitations to the slewing of the mount.

I would also recommend all Motor Set users to update to the new general release V1.1.1 as it is a very nice improvement to the AZ100 Planetarium and sorts a number of interface issues with other software. Please note this version is DSC capable but  you will  need an update to DSC firmware as well before that can be used. (Edit: DSC firmware update not yet released as a couple of issues to fix from beta versions, but under way).

Regarding the green 'Rebooting......' message  at the end of the update Derek advised me:

"Instead of saying rebooting it should really say reconnect to wifi and open new web page"

Dont forget to check the version No. when you re-open the web interface it should now read V1.1.1 (build number). If this has not advanced from V1.0.4 then the update has failed. One cause of this can be your phone/tablet/laptop dropping wifi connection with the AZ100 wifi hot spot. This is less likely to happen if you get well away from your (and neighbours!) domestic wifi (or turn it off) (or select a different wifi channel in AZ100 Config).

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Thanks 3

On 01/08/2023 at 10:15, Stephenstargazer said:

Regarding the green 'Rebooting......' message  at the end of the update Derek advised me:

"Instead of saying rebooting it should really say reconnect to wifi and open new web page"

Hi Steve,

We have a new update out in 1-2 days with a couple of tweaks, iOS page format (so the apps bar doesn't cover the lower menu buttons), a fix to the  game pad handling and replaced the misleading "re-booting" message after firmware update.

ATB

Derek.

• Thanks 1

On 31/07/2023 at 15:27, swsantos said:

I have my panhandle attached to the top hole of the bracket that's attached to a saddle on the right side of the mount the telescope being on the left and there it only touched the azimuth clutch when pointing straight up in only one place so it is not an issue for me there.

On 31/07/2023 at 15:58, lifeonmars said:

Hi John

Presuming you have the saddle on the right of the mount John , I have the Rowan mount atop a skywatcher 200mm pillar and is attached to a Berlebach Planet the end of the panhandle as you approach the zenith could do with being 15mm shorter.

I can live with that at the minute  so I haven't set any limitations to the slewing of the mount.

Hello and thank you for the replies. I've got the one telescope ATM. As suggested. Telescope on the left of the mount now and handle on the right. Not far from the vertical before any fouling of note.

John  

Updated firmware today to 1.1.1 and everything looks good with functional Planetarium however I can't seem to look up Messier Objects in search function. Have checked in config and everything ticked so not sure what I'm doing wrong.. ! Typed in M13 then Messier 13 and nothing shows up ! Any clues would be greatly appreciated !!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2023 at 12:22, steve k said:

Updated firmware today to 1.1.1 and everything looks good with functional Planetarium however I can't seem to look up Messier Objects in search function. Have checked in config and everything ticked so not sure what I'm doing wrong.. ! Typed in M13 then Messier 13 and nothing shows up ! Any clues would be greatly appreciated !!

Yes, same question here.  I assumed the updated catalogue with Messier, etc. would permit a search and then goto from a now expanded list of objects.  Yet, it appears I can only search for objects in what appears to be the limited list of objects in the initial firmware.  Did I misunderstand the nature of the search box, or is there some hardware defective on my end, or is a  firmware fix needed?  Please advise.

• 2 months later...

For owners of AZ100 motor kits and a DSC or DSC Pro there is a software release on Astro Devices for each device eg:

www.astrodevices.com
Nexus DSC firmware/catalogues releases
1.4.20 released 18th of September 2023
Firmware and catalogues
Firmware date: 2022.09.18
Changes:
• Added support for AZ100 mount drive system

I was slow to spot this, but have been using a beta version.. On the beta version I found it best to turn on AZ100 mount first briefly before turning on the DSC. There is a revision in the Rowan Az100 manual which shows the necessary settings etc

NOTE: It is possible to use the DSC alone without connecting a mobile device to the AZ100 wi fi at all. DSC arrow controls will operate the AZ100 motors, as shown in DSC manual. The response speed is as set in the AZ100 configuration. That means it is an alternative to either the AZ100 web interface or Sky Safari. However the DSC will work in parallel with Sky Safari if you wish, eg by FIND From Planetarium. Yet another versatile option for AZ100 customisation.  I also like it because my DSC plugs into my AZ75 (with encoders) too.

My apologies if everyone else knew this already! But i have not seen it on this thread. 🙂

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Stephenstargazer said:

For owners of AZ100 motor kits and a DSC or DSC Pro there is a software release on Astro Devices for each device eg:

www.astrodevices.com
Nexus DSC firmware/catalogues releases
1.4.20 released 18th of September 2023
Firmware and catalogues
Firmware date: 2022.09.18
Changes:
• Added support for AZ100 mount drive system

I was slow to spot this, but have been using a beta version.. On the beta version I found it best to turn on AZ100 mount first briefly before turning on the DSC. There is a revision in the Rowan Az100 manual which shows the necessary settings etc

NOTE: It is possible to use the DSC alone without connecting a mobile device to the AZ100 wi fi at all. DSC arrow controls will operate the AZ100 motors, as shown in DSC manual. The response speed is as set in the AZ100 configuration. That means it is an alternative to either the AZ100 web interface or Sky Safari. However the DSC will work in parallel with Sky Safari if you wish, eg by FIND From Planetarium. Yet another versatile option for AZ100 customisation.  I also like it because my DSC plugs into my AZ75 (with encoders) too.

My apologies if everyone else knew this already! But i have not seen it on this thread. 🙂

This is all I see at https://rowanastronomy.com/AZ100Update/

image.thumb.png.afe2868c93ab49f4fd03224f17d8c052.png

13 hours ago, Deadlake said:

This is all I see at https://rowanastronomy.com/AZ100Update/

image.thumb.png.afe2868c93ab49f4fd03224f17d8c052.png

That updated firmware from Rowanastronomy has to be installed to the mount, then the new Nexus DSC firmware and catalogs updates from Astrodevices have to be installed to get them working together. The instructions on how to then configure the Nexus DSC to play nice with the mount are contained in the latest manual which is accessible using that link at the top of the AZ100 update page.

• Like 1

Yes that's correct, the new catalogs I presume, do not influence its AZ100 compatability. However they are easy to update so why not, and I updated them after installing the public release firmware.

I have a Nexus DSC and keep it updated but never use it with my AZ100 unless I am just tiesting to see if it works. I prefer SkySafari with my AZ100 when I am observing not beta testing and use the Nexus DSC for my PortaMount and M2C with their encoders. My Nexus DSC worked fine with the AZ100 using the previous spring beta build and I am assuming that this latest public release touched up the remaining issues it had but I have also not yet tested it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, swsantos said:

However they are easy to update so why not,

Correct! took your advice and updated mine, which was long overdue.

Note to others: depending on the age of your previous DSC catalogues, you may find some additional ones have been introduced. As it is a numbered list you may have to go into settings/find/enabled catalogues and re-edit your preferred list as it is likely to have been altered by any new catalog numbers introduced. (This is easier to see than explain!!)

Personally I only 'enable' ~10 favourite catalogues from the very complete list of 69, so scrolling through them is quicker. (Realise that non DSC AZ100 users will have no interest in this at all !)

• Like 2

On 07/11/2023 at 21:46, Stephenstargazer said:

For owners of AZ100 motor kits and a DSC or DSC Pro there is a software release on Astro Devices for each device

I have done initial tests for compatibility between Rowan AZ100 V1.1.1  and Nexus DSC firmware v 1.4.20. Start the AZ100 before starting the DSC. Note that the wifi Rowan webpage controller will still be present. All the expected DSC functions, including slow motion control by 'arrow pad' work , but I warn prospective users not to try a One Star alignment in the DSC - it still misbehaves. The DSC will not use any alignment done in Rowan control. Equally if you switch back to Rowan control from DSC it will not be aligned. This is as expected (due to the way they work) but could confuse or disappoint some. Whilst in DSC control you can turn the mount motors on and off by the Rowan webpage, eg to use manual slow motion knobs (perhaps during alignment). You need to turn them back on for the DSC to use again (eg tracking, arrow pad, goto).  You can also access and change Config settings in the AZ 100 (dont forget to save them) whilst the DSC is in control. 

Hope this helps. By the way  you can also connect SkySafari to the DSC wifi and it will act to move the scope...but then you could do that without a DSC or Nexus 🙂. Maybe if you like to have a skychart running in sync ??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The pier adapter fits the AZ100 with 6 off M6 screws on one common PCD (circle), the base of the extension as shown has 3 different PCDs for 4 capscrews (similar to an AZ75 base). So I think the answer is no. If you want a pier adapter I have one spare! What tripod do you want to fit the extension to? May not need adapter as you can order extension with different screw threads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

What tripod do you want to fit the extension to? May not need adapter as you can order extension with different screw threads.

I have Berlebach Planet with EQ 5 head with north pin unscrewed. The extension will probably fit directly, but the pin has some purpose, or not?

Edited by pavel_s
  • Like 1

Provided you buy extension with an M10 thread insert, yes it should fit that tripod head directly. Some people find the Berlebach hand screw is a bit short. Make sure it comes well above the top face of the tripod (if not you can cut a way a bit of the hand screw !).

The North pin is only used with equatorial mounts. it is not needed with the AZ100.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any thoughts on using the Pegasus Astro carbon fiber tripod that comes with the NYX-101, as a light weight tripod for the AZ-100? It's rated at 50kg and has pier extensions to give it a little height. The mount only weighs 2kg plus the plate and extenders.

• Like 1