NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

1 hour ago, swsantos said:

You are right, it does not appear possible to connect SkySafari to the AZ100 directly while it is connected to the Nexus DSC as not only the web interface disabled it pops up a message that in order to do that the serial connection must first be disconnected.

Which is why a joystick with slow and fast speed would be great to have to align and move around the sky.

Presume you can disengage the motors from the Nexus?

On 23/06/2023 at 14:40, Deadlake said:

Which is why a joystick with slow and fast speed would be great to have to align and move around the sky.

Presume you can disengage the motors from the Nexus?

I just went and looked for that now because I hadn't yet thought about that and cannot find any way to turn off the motors from within Nexus! Few things I have noticed about the Nexus DSC and AZ100....

If you turn on the AZ100 with the Nexus turned off and connected by serial cable the AZ100 firmware is accessible normally. The Nexus DSC has to actuallly be turned on to prevent AZ100 firmware access.

If both are turned on the AZ100 firmware is inaccessible but if you turn off the Nexus DSC the AZ100 becomes usable again within a few seconds and operates normally and you can then turn the motors off.

However, if you turn on the Nexus DSC again the motors also turn on again. Not sure if the Nexus DSC is doing it directly or if its accessing the AZ100 firmware behind the scenes and turning the motors on there.

If the Nexus DSC is then turned off again the motors remain on and the AZ100 firmware shows the motors on as if the Nexus DSC had turned them on in the AZ100's firmware.

So it appears the Nexus DSC has the power to turn the motors on by being able to access the firmware so I would assume it would also have the power to turn them off but I have not yet found that setting.

Maybe someone else has found that setting, or perhaps someone from Rowan can tell us if the motors can be turned off from within Nexus DSC and if not yet if that feature is planned.

Given that the AZ100 firmware is inaccessible while the Nexus DSC is running I would say that the Nexus DSC should have user access to the motors' operation. I am assuming that someone at Rowan is communicating with Serge about whatever tweaks might be necessary. Given that the AZ100 compatible Nexus DSC firmware came from Derek and not Astrodevices I am not sure if we should be reporting back to Serge ourselves.

Edited by swsantos

On 24/06/2023 at 03:19, swsantos said:

. Given that the AZ100 compatible Nexus DSC firmware came from Derek and not Astrodevices I am not sure if we should be reporting back to Serge ourselves.

Correct - @Dek Rowan Astro has told me he will forward specific* problems to Serge at Astrodevices.

I don't personally see any need to turn the motors off in DSC. It uses the motors as required when Auotlock is engaged, or to do a Goto, or when using the Arrow pad (direction keys). You do not need any part of the AZ100 Web interface when DSC has control.The choice is to use either  Nexus (DSC or PRO) or the AZ100 web interface. Each of which is compatible with Sky Safari*, to some extent.

I don't know that it was ever intended to be used otherwise. In either case you can push the the scope to any part of the sky, any time, without using a clutch or turning off  motors. What else do you need? 

* native 'control' from Sky Safari is by an implementation of 'LX200 Classic' protocol as the means of communication. I do not forsee any change beyond this.

Edited by Stephenstargazer

1 hour ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Correct - @Dek Rowan Astro has told me he will forward specific* problems to Serge at Astrodevices.

I don't personally see any need to turn the motors off in DSC. It uses the motors as required when Auotlock is engaged, or to do a Goto, or when using the Arrow pad (direction keys). You do not need any part of the AZ100 Web interface when DSC has control.The choice is to use either  Nexus (DSC or PRO) or the AZ100 web interface. Each of which is compatible with Sky Safari*, to some extent.

I don't know that it was ever intended to be used otherwise. In either case you can push the the scope to any part of the sky, any time, without using a clutch or turning off  motors. What else do you need? 

* native 'control' from Sky Safari is by an implementation of 'LX200 Classic' protocol as the means of communication. I do not forsee any change beyond this.

Apart from simply not wanting to loose functionality, out of principle, that is lost by not being able to access the AZ100 firmware I cannot think of a situation where that might matter. However Deadlake asking “Presume you can disengage the motors from the Nexus” to me says that that ability is expected at least by some and my subsequent post was a reaction to his presumption not necessarily me needing that feature for myself.

Regarding native control on the AZ100 from within SkySafari, the align buttons in SkySafari issue a movement command to the mount instead of reorienting the stars to where the telescope is pointing so SkySafari cannot yet be used to perform initial alignment rather it has to be done with the AZ100 firmware before using SkySafari. Whether that’s lack of native compatibility or just a bug in the LX200 compatibility implementation I am not sure, however it would be nice to only need SkySafari for everything starting with initial alignment.

3 hours ago, swsantos said:

Apart from simply not wanting to loose functionality, out of principle, that is lost by not being able to access the AZ100 firmware I cannot think of a situation where that might matter. However Deadlake asking “Presume you can disengage the motors from the Nexus” to me says that that ability is expected at least by some and my subsequent post was a reaction to his presumption not necessarily me needing that feature for myself.

I used the word presumed as why take away the ability to move the mount by either the slow mo's or the pan handle?

Being able to use either of the above is a major differentiator compared to other mounts,  particular in alignment, with the pan handle the scope can be quickly pointed to where it needs to be. 

The Nexus is taking away functionality and the only item it adds to me is being able to use the mount at dark sites.

OK I understand  different folk want different things, but let's not forget that the Nexus DSC does have slow motion control built in on a keypad and it works pretty well. I understand that is how Nexus works with other motor systems (at least according to the manual).

The issue of why Sky Safari and the AZ100 do not entirely get along is an issue for Rowan to check out. I have to admit I don't have experience of SS with other mounts, and my comment re the protocol was speculation.

We should perhaps remind other 'followers' we are still discussing a beta, unreleased version of the Rowan and Nexus firmware. Also that a motorised AZ100 can actuslly be used without either a Nexus or Sky Safari.

PS is anyone else trying the mount with other 3rd party planetarium software?  In principle it should be possible?

Edited by Stephenstargazer

AZ100 with gamepad joystick working well!

I paired it with my Andorid phone and it works nicely, the changes to the joytstick operation like speed and direction reversal work fine. I does not yet pair directly with the AZ100 firmware as that is a work in progress but it works this way nontheless.

Here is a link to this controller...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QJLV6JJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

IMG_3458.JPG

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

PS is anyone else trying the mount with other 3rd party planetarium software?  In principle it should be possible?

As noted above I get the over shoot issue with Luminous Pro as well.

SS works fine with Vixen mounts as does Luminous Pro.

I'll run  Luminous Pro with the log file turned on and ship it to Steve @ wobbleworks.com and see what he makes of it....

Edited by Deadlake
  • Thanks 1

The controller appears to only work when the AZ100 is displayed on my phone, once its minimized or there is something else on the screen like SkySafari it does not work, even if its still running in the background. With the firmware full screen it works fine.

I am wondering whether once its paired from within the firmware (as opposed to the phone) that the AZ100 will move no matter what software is displayed because I am assuming that it would then be paired directly with the mount itself so therefore able to move it directly?

Does anyone here have a case or bag recommendations for this mount and/or the tripod (Berlebach Planet)?

I like to observe at a site a short drive from my house, and am looking for a more elegant solution than reusing the DHL cardboard box it shipped in.

Hi all. I am new to the Forum, but following it since quite a while. 

I have some questions for those who use the AZ100 with a C11 or with a similarity heavy and bulky scope. How do you manage the process of side mounting it? Do you just keep the scope with one arm, while locking the clamp and do you feel comfortable with the process? I currently have a C8 on a skytee2 and can do it without issues, but upgrading to a c11 + az100 combination would make me nervous about damaging the scope and/or my back.

I cannot leave the combination mounted and I would need to set it up at each observing session.

Finally, is there anyone applying with the az100 the technique proposed by the gentleman in this video:

Thanks in advance!

@john1971 The C11 works very well with the AZ100 and motor drives. In fact due to less moment of force being applied it works better than the refactors I have.

The C11 can be mounted one side with no counterweight on the other.

I would however suggest getting the Y mount saddle as demoed by @swsantos with a C9.25 as the AZ100 really should have this by default. 

I find balancing hard when using a BV or very heavy EP/NVD. It's not changing an EP where the issues is, the scope just gets out of balance when the changing zenith angle and when using the motors the brake knob can only be tightened so far which is what I did before having motor drives.

As far as mounting I usually mount the C11 on the right side, I've moved the handle to the left side and this helps gripping the scope as it goes on.

The next step is to place the dew tube on and then rebalance at that point.

I'd stick to using a lightweight finder scope, e.g. a red dot as this causing minimal issues with balancing.

AZ100/Planet or T-Pod tripod works very well with C11, once it's setup. 

Edited by Deadlake

Tag is a lot @Deadlake for the prompt reply.

indeed I have no doubts that the AZ100 can easily hold a C11.

My question is rather about the process of mounting it before each session. There is a a moment when one needs to keep the scope with one arm, while using the other to tighten the clamp to attach it to the mount.

I am concerned with the risk that the scope may fall at this moment. Doing it with a C8 is easy enough, but am wondering whether it would be still doable with a C11. I am a man of average strength, age 52. Can certainly lift the 12kgs of the tube, but holding it in place with one arm while fitting the dovetail to the clamp gives me pause... 😐

I'll take a picture of the C11 and it mounted. 

If you lift the C11 with

1) Left hand on the Losmandy bar and right hand on the handle right side.
2) Slot into saddle.
3) Push with right hand on handle and tighten up one saddle knob, also tighten brake.

4) Before balancing C11 attach dew shield.
5) Then use the right hand to push C11 against saddle balance in the saddle.

To be honest would be easier to mount if both ends of the C11 on the left hand side had a handle attached, or maybe Losmandy bar both sides is the answer.

The other approach could be to place the C11 vertically on a BB chair(with lens cover on) and attach to the AZ100. Rotate, lock the brake and then attach the dew shield. 
Then balance the AZ100. To take the C11 repeat as usually harder to take off then put on, sounds weird but number of times out this has been the case.

Edited by Deadlake

1 hour ago, john1971 said:

Tag is a lot @Deadlake for the prompt reply.

indeed I have no doubts that the AZ100 can easily hold a C11.

My question is rather about the process of mounting it before each session. There is a a moment when one needs to keep the scope with one arm, while using the other to tighten the clamp to attach it to the mount.

I am concerned with the risk that the scope may fall at this moment. Doing it with a C8 is easy enough, but am wondering whether it would be still doable with a C11. I am a man of average strength, age 52. Can certainly lift the 12kgs of the tube, but holding it in place with one arm while fitting the dovetail to the clamp gives me pause... 😐

That is my concern. It’s ok with my Mewlon 210 and just about with my C9.25. But anything larger, when you can’t easily see the locking bolts on the other side of the OTA….

On the other hand (pun not intended 🙂) the technique shown on the YouTube video that I have posted above seems reasonable. If it worked for a c14 it certainly should for a c11…

Has anyone tried it (either with a EQ mount or a AZ)?

IMG20230707164454.thumb.jpg.f4459048494da5bd7895bc01caf1ba8e.jpg

On 03/07/2023 at 22:26, Adam_Wade said:

Does anyone here have a case or bag recommendations for this mount and/or the tripod (Berlebach Planet)?

Hi Adam, About me I use a wheeled bag, the tenba cineluxe 21. Everything fits inside: the mount, the dovetails, 12v talent cell, pier riser, pier adapter, Nexus, handle etc...here are some photos if you want to have an Idea. For the berlebach i use the berlebach bag, it fulfills its role well. Note that you can fit inside the two pier riser, the 12,5mm directly mounted and the 20mm between the legs.

CS

IMG20230707164513.jpg

IMG20230707164540.jpg

IMG20230707164557.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all. A heads up.   I noticed via ye olde Facebook that the guys at Rowan gave an update a couple of days back re the software update discussed previously here. 

This has now been made available and I have just downloaded the file and added it to my phone / mount - all seems well. 

I may well now start using my kit again and this is the kick up the you know where to get me moving.  Not touched any, and I mean any, of my gear for about 6 weeks now. Never a thought of quitting  just a combination of mid summer - now there's a quote - lack of darkness, poor weather this month goes without saying and other things to be doing. 

Thanks   John 

• Like 1

Hi John

Thanks for the heads up on that ,just doing mine now it downloaded the file  and the progress bar came up and updated to 100%.The green reboot dialogue bar came up in green but still rebooting after 30 minutes.Not sure whats going on how long did it take yours to reboot.

Probably me being impatient.

Cheers Frank

1 hour ago, lifeonmars said:

Hi John

Thanks for the heads up on that ,just doing mine now it downloaded the file  and the progress bar came up and updated to 100%.The green reboot dialogue bar came up in green but still rebooting after 30 minutes.Not sure whats going on how long did it take yours to reboot.

Cheers Frank

Frank. My uploading was pretty immediate??!! 
There were 2 to choose from. One addressed a glitch in the first. I used that one. 

HTH. John 

1 hour ago, lifeonmars said:

Hi John

Thanks for the heads up on that ,just doing mine now it downloaded the file  and the progress bar came up and updated to 100%.The green reboot dialogue bar came up in green but still rebooting after 30 minutes.Not sure whats going on how long did it take yours to reboot, it has never taken over 10 or 15 seconds to update the firmware it happens quickly.

Cheers Frank

when it reboots the wifi connection is lost to the mount as it power cycles so you have to reconnect your device to the AZ100 and re-log into it. Until I do that with mine it looks like it's stuck rebooting.

Edited by swsantos
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for all your help on that one,it updated ok in the end ,just seemed strange.would have expected the reboot  dialogue just to finish automatically,thanks again panic over!

Now when is the rain going to stop and the skys clear is the next question.

Cheers Frank

• Like 1