NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

On 27/11/2023 at 17:42, jasonbokor said:

Any thoughts on using the Pegasus Astro carbon fiber tripod that comes with the NYX-101, as a light weight tripod for the AZ-100? It's rated at 50kg and has pier extensions to give it a little height. The mount only weighs 2kg plus the plate and extenders.

Seems a good idea for lighter loads. How light the load needs to be is another question. The spigot size on the Pegasus M12 adapter need to accommodate the AZ100 as well. Pegasus looks like they have just the model, PEG-ADAPT101-AVX that has a spigot for the AZ100 to drop into. 

Rowan also sells a pier adapter and a half pier with a flat base that also fits the need for a flat base to match the Pegasus tripod mount top.

Maybe someone on CN has tried this?

Edited by Deadlake

I've been using my AZ100 / OMC300 combo to image Jupiter and although aligned so that Jupiter can be re-centered fairly reliably, the planet does drift out of the camera ROI quickly. I've mainly been addressing this by moving the ROI but wondered if this could be avoided by using the Feature Tracking function in SharpCap.

Has anyone tried the Feature Tracking function to enable a motorised AZ100 automatically track Jupiter?

I'm unable to use my scope currently to try this owing to a hand injury so any info confirming this would be appreciated. 

CS, Andy

14 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

I've been using my AZ100 / OMC300 combo to image Jupiter and although aligned so that Jupiter can be re-centered fairly reliably, the planet does drift out of the camera ROI quickly. I've mainly been addressing this by moving the ROI but wondered if this could be avoided by using the Feature Tracking function in SharpCap.

Has anyone tried the Feature Tracking function to enable a motorised AZ100 automatically track Jupiter?

I'm unable to use my scope currently to try this owing to a hand injury so any info confirming this would be appreciated. 

CS, Andy

This may be a good starting point, https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/697479-guiding-alt-az-mounts-with-phd2/

Also the latest beta build from Rowan seems to track planets better then before, mine kept Jupiter centred for 30 minutes before the seeing made it no point staying out.

30 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Yes,  thanks for the link though use of PHD2 would seem to rely on using a separate guide scope & camera. 

I was wondering if it was possible to guide the mount with controls from SharpCap's feature tracking function, which would be using measurements of planetary features from the imaging camera. 

Can the mount be guided from an external computer,  such as a PC or ASIair?

3 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

Yes,  thanks for the link though use of PHD2 would seem to rely on using a separate guide scope & camera. 

I was wondering if it was possible to guide the mount with controls from SharpCap's feature tracking function, which would be using measurements of planetary features from the imaging camera. 

Can the mount be guided from an external computer,  such as a PC or ASIair?

The AZ100 supports the Meade LX200 protocol if that helps.
I can control it from my laptop by selecting the LX200 protocol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Release firmware V1.1.2 dated 12/04/2023 is up and public with a nice list of fixes and improvements!

From the update site:

Planetarium/Databases
• Add button to Planetarium to turn tracking on and off
• Added distance to target Alt/Az readout
• Added feature to upload custom databases to planetarium.
• Added magnitude and object type on search page
• Added checkbox to use magnitude filter for search
• Added option to enable magnitude filter when searching
• Removed WDS duplicates

Configuration
• Added "Mount Function" configuration option to switch between Rowan GOTO and Rowan DSC

Bug fixes
• Fixed issue with mount sometimes moving slightly when syncing object
• Fixed issues with bluetooth joystick not working on planetarium when connected to via iOS/Android
• Planetarium red target circle and the onscreen joystick now scales better (especially for horizonal screens) and no longer covers important buttons
• Add padding to bottom of page to clear device content such as iPads with home bar.
• Update message now shows clearer instructions once update is completed for subsequent updates

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I am new to this forum. Just received my AZ100 3 days ago. I got all the bells and whistles. Still figuring it out. I have lots of questions but would like to start with the software/firmware version. Mine shipped with vrs 1.2.0. I notice that my config page is different than what's in the current manual. I am interested in using a Bluetooth controller but in my config, the Bluetooth options seem to have gone away. I tried to do the firmware "Update" to 1.1.2 and it seems to proceed however it leaves me with the same 1.2.0. I guess it won't go back, although 1.2.0 isn't even listed on the firmware update page at Rown Astronomy. Any thoughts. I emailed Derek but it's the holidays and he's likely occupied.

At one point there was a bluetooth configuration within the firmware so that a controller could be paired directly to the mount but it appears that there were issues with it so it has been presumably temporarily removed until they can sort it out. A bluetooth controller can be paired with the device that is controlling the AZ100, meaning the phone or tablet accessing the AZ100, which results in bluetooth control of the AZ100 firmware but not from within the mount but rather from the accessing device. 

Regarding the firmware version, the latest firmware on the public access user page is 1.1.2 dated December 4, 2023 and the latest pre-release version on the beta page is 1.1.2 dated November 25, 2023 so if you are really running version 1.2.0 then that is an even newer version that those, than what is even on the pre-release beta page which is hard to believe. But maybe a newly purchased mount has a newer-than-otherwise-available firmware, but if so it was not put into the usual beta channels so any issues or new features would be unknown, at least to me.

Edited by swsantos
  • Like 1

I believe I am running 1.2.0. Attached is a screenshot of my config menu. I have been able to jog the scope using SN. Seems to work fine. I did order a game controller since my kid took his to college with him!! I set up 2 scopes to look at the sun todat. Lunt 80 HA and SVX 102 with Baader wedge and binoviewer. I have to say I am extremely impressed with the mount. All I did was turn it on pointing at 0 alt and due south using my phone compass/inclinometer pointed at the sun using SN then aligned on the sun once I had it dialed in. It has tracked perfectly for 2 hrs now!! Very very impressive overall! I  had to mount it on a cheap Chinese tripod. Still waiting for my Berlebach Planet which according to DSL is stuck in US Customs for over a month bit in reality, I believe they lost it and evrryone including Berlebach seems to be passing the buck!! 🤨🤨Screenshot_20231223_193127_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c26ce7e49c2279ffe70e6b613db43605.jpg

20231224_151424.jpg

20231224_151505.jpg

• Like 1

Ok. Another question. Do the motors have thermal overload protection? In my previous post, I was raving about the accuracy of solar tracking. I left it on and went for an afternoon bike ride. When I came back I checked to see if it was still on the sun, but unfortunately it was way off and it looks as though it stopped tracking altogether. Motors were still green in Rowan Planetarium but goto no longer working. Moving scope manually still shows movement of the bullseye. Unpowered it and turned it back on and everything working again. Motor housing was warm, but it's black and has been in direct sun. It's winter here in South Texas but still 30 degrees C today and not a cloud in the sky. Did the motors shut down due to heating?? Can't think of any other reason. There was no obstruction that may have bound up movement of the mount.

So cut my suspenders and call me droopy drawers, my current firmware is indeed 1.2 build 5096! The update on the firmware site says that the latest firmware is 1.1.2 but when it's installed the AZ100 firmware identifies itself as 1.2 so there it is.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

While trying to figure out the best wat to power my mount, I came upon this neat cable. Goes from a pd USB C (now found on most usb power packs) to a 5.5 x 2.5 barrel connector. Puts out exactly 12v and should carry up to 3 amps. Very convenient 

DSD TECH MagicConn SH-CP12A USB Type C PD to DC Power Cable-12V https://a.co/d/iGiEQZB

Im loving the mount. While waiting for my Berlebach (now apparently 6 weeks in US Customs but I think it's gone and nobody wants to take responsibility) I ordered a temporary carbon tripod. 

https://leofotousa.com/products/leofoto-ln-404c-systematic-massive-bowl-compatible-carbon-fiber-tripod-with-100mm-bowl-bag?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhc-sBhCEARIsAOVwHuSrvL4M2vljYx6gL76E5aOUc7d9P1x7m9irG4pwkK7nWuyFPZ5T6YIaAvkOEALw_wcB

So far seems very stable despite being very lightweight. I ordered the pier adapter with my AZ100 with a 3/8 base and was able to put a few screws retrograde from the tripod top plate to the pier adapter for extra stability and pull out strength. Im not going to trust it with my C11 and TOA 130 simultaneously mounted but Im confident it's string enough for my smaller scopes.

Just some thoughts!20240102_221410.thumb.jpg.be72c3dc2829001548ccce8173f54574.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TxOliver said:

While trying to figure out the best wat to power my mount, I came upon this neat cable. Goes from a pd USB C (now found on most usb power packs) to a 5.5 x 2.5 barrel connector. Puts out exactly 12v and should carry up to 3 amps. Very convenient 

DSD TECH MagicConn SH-CP12A USB Type C PD to DC Power Cable-12V https://a.co/d/iGiEQZB

Blindspot make a battery that fits well, see:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/708353-rowan-astronomy-az100-arrived/page-27#entry12941485

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deadlake said:

I had followed that thread for a while as it was evolving and at some point the one who tried the Blind Spot battery plate posted...

>>>>I'm afraid the Blind Spot battery plate doesn't work well with it: it seems to be current-limited, because when I ask it to slew the scope, it will be fine for a few seconds, and then the motors start making a loud grinding noise, and they're basically twitching in place. I then plugged in my LiFePo battery from Bioenno, and it slews without a problem. I double checked that the belts weren't slipping.

I also noticed that if I twist the slow motion controls quickly by hand, I'll feel a slight grinding feeling in maybe 4-6 places per revolution, but if I slowly turn them, them it's fine. It could be that the slewing speed is too high for the battery plate, and it gets stuck when it hits one of the grind spots. Anyway, I guess I'll have to do one of the other battery setups here if I don't want to keep checking that it doesn't disconnect itself when slewing from my battery which sits on the ground.<<<<

At that point I lost interest in it but I was very interested in it for a while. Perhaps someone else out there has had some success, would certainly be a great physical fit for the AZ100 if it were electrically compatible.

...After further investigation it appears that that user used the Blind Spot's USB-C output port via a PD to barrel wire which according to Blind Spot's website outputs only 1.9A at 12V (so less than the 2A recommended by Rowan). The Blind Spot's barrel output however is specified as 2.5A/12V output so it might run fine. So interest renewed, but the highest output NPF battery that I can find is 7.4V/10400mAh so at 12V might not run for very long as my current Talentcell is 12V/11000mAh.

Edited by swsantos
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, swsantos said:

I had followed that thread for a while as it was evolving and at some point the one who tried the Blind Spot battery plate posted...

>>>>I'm afraid the Blind Spot battery plate doesn't work well with it: it seems to be current-limited, because when I ask it to slew the scope, it will be fine for a few seconds, and then the motors start making a loud grinding noise, and they're basically twitching in place. I then plugged in my LiFePo battery from Bioenno, and it slews without a problem. I double checked that the belts weren't slipping.

That's a shame as smaller LiFePo batteries that attach to the mount  are not very available this side of the pond..

• Like 1

Hi, my first post though have been a member for some time. I purchased my AZ100 in November last year and thanks to the weather and time of year have not yet had it outside. One thing I have realised is that I will need a riser. I was wondering if someone could confirm the riser includes a 12mm bolt/knob for securing the AZ100 to the riser. All the other accessories seem to have photos of all included hardware, but I could not find anything for the riser showing an included bolt. Apologies if I missed something in the previous 61 pages :)

• Like 1

It does include an M12 bolt

Make sure you select the M12 female thread for the bottom as there are options, if you have an M12 male on your tripod that is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TxOliver said:

It does include an M12 bolt

Make sure you select the M12 female thread for the bottom as there are options, if you have an M12 male on your tripod that is.

Thanks. Intending to use my AZ-EQ6 tripod until I save for a Planet, so yes have ordered the M12 female thread.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a repost from my post in CN

I received my AZ100 about a month ago with almost all the bells and whistles and I love it. Before placing the order for the Rowan, after doing some research, I ordered a Berlebach Planet direct from Berlebach in Germany. All the US retailers are drop shipping anyway. Unfortunately I have had a horrible experience with Berlebach customer service. To make a long story short, the package shipped via DHL 2 months ago and arrived almost 8 wks ago in Chicago. From "Inbound into US Customs" on November 24 there has been no further tracking. DHL, US Customs nor USPS has never contacted me and nobody knows where it is. Berlebach blames DHL and DHL blames USPS and US Customs. I have contacts at USPS and Customs who both tell me that their organizations have never received the package. Berlebach refuses to refund or replace the tripod which I paid for. I am obviously very upset with their attitude, and at this point, despite hearing good things about the product, don't think I even want a replacement. I would like a solid wooden tripod. I have been using a fairly solid Chinese carbon camera tripod which is OK but I would rather have a nice wooden one. I am looking at a Geoptic Hercules designed for the 10micron mount. It seems to have an appropriate flat top with a 65mm x 5 mm cutout matching the Rowan AZ100 as well as a central M12 hole. Has anyone out there got a Hercules and an AZ100 or any information on the use of this mount and tripod?

• Sad 1

On 17/01/2024 at 18:54, TxOliver said:

This is a repost from my post in CN

I received my AZ100 about a month ago with almost all the bells and whistles and I love it. Before placing the order for the Rowan, after doing some research, I ordered a Berlebach Planet direct from Berlebach in Germany. All the US retailers are drop shipping anyway. Unfortunately I have had a horrible experience with Berlebach customer service. To make a long story short, the package shipped via DHL 2 months ago and arrived almost 8 wks ago in Chicago. From "Inbound into US Customs" on November 24 there has been no further tracking. DHL, US Customs nor USPS has never contacted me and nobody knows where it is. Berlebach blames DHL and DHL blames USPS and US Customs. I have contacts at USPS and Customs who both tell me that their organizations have never received the package. Berlebach refuses to refund or replace the tripod which I paid for. I am obviously very upset with their attitude, and at this point, despite hearing good things about the product, don't think I even want a replacement. I would like a solid wooden tripod. I have been using a fairly solid Chinese carbon camera tripod which is OK but I would rather have a nice wooden one. I am looking at a Geoptic Hercules designed for the 10micron mount. It seems to have an appropriate flat top with a 65mm x 5 mm cutout matching the Rowan AZ100 as well as a central M12 hole. Has anyone out there got a Hercules and an AZ100 or any information on the use of this mount and tripod?

That's very disappointing to hear, TxOliver. Given the situation you've described, I'm rather surprised that Berlebach has taken this position. Like many in this thread I suspect, I use one of their tripods (a Uni-28) with my AZ100 to hold my 100mm refractor and complementary reflector. I'm finding the combo to be excellent and am thoroughly enjoying it. The Rowan and the Berlebach are a perfect match and the antidote to my growing dismay at the often shoddy build quality and laughable customer service that's been a feature of much of the mass-produced astro kit I'd bought prior to this. Anyway, I'm so pleased with my setup now that I've been telling anyone who will listen, forcing visitors to the house who have little interest in star gazing to check out the engineering on the AZ100, as well as the quality of its sweet wooden undercarriage. Your story has put a bit of a dampener on the warm and fuzzy feeling I've had. C'mon Berlebach, you've got a very disappointed state-side customer here and their story is hardly going to encourage other overseas customers to place orders with you!

Edited by notchy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...