Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

After fitting the motor kit I removed the pan handle mounted on the right hand saddle as it would collide with the lower motor housing.

There is an altitude adjustor fitted on the left hand side.

Presume I just need to find some longer bolts and fit the pan handle bracket on the right saddle?

2 minutes ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

The update is currently in testing with several AZ100 owners. 

Soon as we have feedback and all looks OK we'll put the version out for general release.

ATB

Derek.

Great news, have you got a list of any joysticks/pads you've tested with the update?

@Saganite clearly has a beta version and I now have it too. I won't be trying a bluetooth joystick yet (sorry!), but will mainly see how well it works with DSC. There is an update for the DSC to control the AZ100 motors and once I get the AZ100 software installed OK I shall comment on that.

I have checked out the AZ100 changes and the revised planetarium is now a serious contender. Reported bugs have been addressed too. The Sky view is improved with selectable databases, panning, horizon, magnitude filters etc so that it could well be used on its own. I have just about got used to Rowans onscreen joystick in the 'standard' version but perhaps the dedicated hand controller, or the Bluetooth option,   will make the package complete.

However you look at it Rowan are making the AZ100 motordrive options configurable to suit a range of user choices. Much like the hardware in that respect, they have listened to astronomers feedback and developed optional components and firmware gradually.

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Not strange John! You are using the standard software and @Saganite is describing a beta version of the forthcoming major update. My understanding is that it is not quite ready for release yet but it will be a big step forward.

Yes @Stephenstargazer  I’ve come to this conclusion. 
I’ll await a new software update as suggested. 

John 

@Saganite clearly has a beta version and I now have it too. I won't be trying a bluetooth joystick yet (sorry!), but will mainly see how well it works with DSC. There is an update for the DSC to control the AZ100 motors and once I get the AZ100 software installed OK I shall comment on that.

I have checked out the AZ100 changes and the revised planetarium is now a serious contender. Reported bugs have been addressed too. The Sky view is improved with selectable databases, panning, horizon, magnitude filters etc so that it could well be used on its own. I have just about got used to Rowans onscreen joystick in the 'standard' version but perhaps the dedicated hand controller, or the Bluetooth option,   will make the package complete.

However you look at it Rowan are making the AZ100 motordrive options configurable to suit a range of user choices. Much like the hardware in that respect, they have listened to astronomers feedback and developed optional components and firmware gradually.

Did you get a list of what joysticks are supported (maybe in a readme file) with the update at all?

Edited by Deadlake

@Deadlake no I do not have such a list. The DRAFT Manual refers to " Bluetooth low energy" joysticks and keypads. I would presume until some beta testers report on specific makes that no more can be said.

A joystick can apparently be connected either to the motor controller direct or to an IOS/Android device being used with the Rowan Web interface. Does that help?

I don't have such a thing to even try  🙂

23 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

A joystick can apparently be connected either to the motor controller direct or to an IOS/Android device being used with the Rowan Web interface. Does that help?

Yes, on iOS I can use a MFI controller then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2023 at 16:07, Stephenstargazer said:

There is an update for the DSC to control the AZ100 motors and once I get the AZ100 software installed OK I shall comment on that.

I now have the Beta updates for both parts and they installed into the Nexus DSC (or Pro) and (after a small hiccup) the  AZ100 motor controller. In what passes for nightime at the moment.,I had more success in what I could  find than in what could be seen!!

Instructions: Enter a few scope control settings into DSC, join DSC to AZ100 with cable, point scope North (not South like the Rowan Planetarium....), turn on AZ100, turn on DSC. That's all you have to do......first time you might want to 'Test Encoders' to make sure connections and data are correct.

You go straight into the DSC  2 star alignment (or levelled and 1 star) and away you go like using DSC with a manual mount. which you are probably familiar with if going down this road. It finds, it tracks, it runs the mount. It does this accurately and you can improve that with Syncs as you wish. All this does not require the Rowan web interface to be connected - in fact it has to be unconnected. AZ100 Wi-Fi is not used or running.

If you want to use Sky Safari as well (definitely optional) then you can connect SS to DSC, but  not to the AZ100. SS works seamlessly with DSC (long proven) and in a good nights test there were no issues with the 2 staying in step. The mode 'Find in Planetarium' supports a go to from SS and the direction arrows in SS do work through DSC. The DSC direction arrows  work  equally nicely to centre objects in the eyepiece (check DSC manual pages 24 and 31 to see how this function is turned on and off - it becomes instinctive, as do go-tos)

So is this an absolutely done and finished part of the project? Well very nearly but perhaps not quite or it would not be Beta. There may need to be some prior adjustments in the AZ100 'Configuration' to adjust the Arrow Pad steps as you may like according to magnification. They respond fast with a long press, but quite finely with a single press.

The go-to associated with the alignment routine (nice but not essential) is not working yet, but the Arrow pad corrections are. I found a problem with longer go-tos overshooting the target. The good news is that a second press of go-to then corrects the error to virtually nothing.  I never noticed this if I pushed the scope to the general area of the target, which is quicker than using the motors in fact.  These items may need a fix.

If you like and are already familiar with Nexus DSC then the way it works with a motorized AZ100 is a natural progression from it's use with a manual version of the mount. The tracking works with the Auto-Lock function, which you dont have to understand, it just does OK? I think I am going forward with this and a star atlas for company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/06/2023 at 16:07, Stephenstargazer said:

won't be trying a bluetooth joystick yet (sorry!), but will mainly see how well it works with DSC

Sorry still don't have one! Not needed for me as the DSC Arrow pad works perfectly well for my accurate adjustments. In fact being a bluetooth device there is no apparent way to connect one through Nexus DSC.

Others with beta firmware may have one to try  with new version of Rowan planetarium ?

On 16/06/2023 at 17:14, Stephenstargazer said:

If you want to use Sky Safari as well (definitely optional) then you can connect SS to DSC, but  not to the AZ100. SS works seamlessly with DSC (long proven) and in a good nights test there were no issues with the 2 staying in step. The mode 'Find in Planetarium' supports a go to from SS and the direction arrows in SS do work through DSC. The DSC direction arrows  work  equally nicely to centre objects in the eyepiece (check DSC manual pages 24 and 31 to see how this function is turned on and off - it becomes instinctive, as do go-tos)

Regarding SkySafari and use with the AZ100 through the Nexus DSC, prior to the motor kit I had been successfully using SkySafari through the DSC with wifi with the DSC attached to the encoders. Under that arrangement SkySafari was paired to the Nexus DSC with wifi using LX200 Classic protocol, IP 1.0.0.1, port 4060 as per the original AZ100 pre-motor mount instruction manual. Now the DSC will use its new firmware to attach via the serial port to the AZ100 using the AZ100 selection and setup as per the instruction given in the new AZ100 firmware manual.

My question is, does SkySafari still use that original connection that it used to use when the DSC used to be connected to the encoders instead of the serial port? Do we use the same saved connection in SkySafari to the Nexus DSC that has worked pre-motor (LX200 Classic, IP 1.0.0.1, port 4060)?

Yes Steve, that's exactly how it has worked for me. I too had used SS with DSC that way before fitting motors to AZ100. 

What do you get out of SS to nexus instead of directly to the AZ100 controller?

I’m intrigued by the idea I can just use the nexus dsc to control the mount as will work well at a dark site.

Looking in the AZ100 installation manual power requirements are

Power supply required :- 12v to13.8V DC 1.5A

whereas on the website it’s DC 2 Amps.

I’d like to know is it 1.5 or 2 amps?

1.5 amps opens up the batteries packs that can be used.

I just prefer using SkySafari to the Nexus DSC. My preference will be to use the AZ100 primarily in push to then track mode and I like pushing the telescope while referencing my tablet for objects to look at. Until SkySafari has native AZ100 compatibility it might be easier to use it through the DSC instead of directly to the AZ100 using LX200 Classic protocol via wifi.

Initial alignment before having the AZ100 motors, for me, using SkySafari through the Nexus DSC never required the use of a reticle eyepiece yet resulted in push-to dead on accuracy. Using SkySafari with the AZ100 motors for now need to be facilitated by the AZ100 firmware and I am not getting the dead on accuracy of go-to that I had gotten pre-motors with SkySafari through DSC with push-to. Perhaps a reticle eyepiece is now required for that kind of accuracy using SkySafari alone with the AZ100, or perhaps native AZ100 support will be required in SkySafari. I have been told that once the new firmware is finalized that native AZ100 might then be added to SkySafari.

Either way the next thing I will try will be a reticle eyepiece for alignment using SkySafari alone. Then I will try reattaching my Nexus DSC to the AZ100 and use SkySafari through it like I did pre motor kit to see if either or both of those paths restore the dead-on accuracy I had before.

I hooked up my Nexus DSC to the AZ100 tonight via the serial cable then connected SkySafari to Nexus by wifi like in the pre-motor days and it seems to work well indeed. I was even able to two-star align with SkySafari and the Nexus DSC picked up on that alignment and accepted it as successful. Go-tos can be issued from either the Nexus or SkySafari. Some of the go tos do seem to overshoot and do sometimes correct when go-to is pressed again. Something hopefully to be fixed as both the AZ100 and Nexus firmwares are updated.

With the Nexus connected by serial cable to the AZ100, the AZ100 firmware disappears, indeed its planetarium cannot be accessed so its under the Nexus primary control when its being used.

I am hoping once there is native AZ100 compatibility in SkySafari that it too will be able to take primary control over the mount including alignment so that it operates the AZ100 on its own without its firmware like the Nexus DSC is able to do.

• Like 1

This is interesting regarding overshoot.

I performance a two star align using the Rowan progressive web app (PWA).

Then  using either SkySafari or Luminous Pro for goto the target is moved to however is aligned a small distance top right from the target.

This is not a one off and quite repeatable.

Which firmware are you on @swsantos current and not preview?

I am using the pre-release 1.1.0 latest build however I have not yet been able to use it night because between the Canadian wildfires and bad weather the skies have been terrible.

So this is simulated use, however even with that there should not be these occasional overshoots, but that's why there's beta testing.

4 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Ok, so a unwanted feature in both versions...

When I had tried the shipping version 1.0.4 under the stars some of the go-tos were a little off which I attribute to either me not using a reticle eyepiece to align (never had to use one pre-motors) or some yet unfixed interaction between SkySafari and the AZ100 firmware. That was with the AZ100 alone with SkySafari.

With the new firmware, which I have not yet used under the stars, has occasional several degrees of overshoots, but that is with the Nexus DSC connected to the AZ100 and using SkySafari to initiate the go-tos through the Nexus. That is likely some yet undiscovered bug needing to ironed out via this beta testing that might originate in the DSC or SkySafari. After a several degrees overshoot hitting go-to again usually brings the FOV cursor to the intended target but not always.

Some of this stuff might be that SkySafari does not yet have native AZ100 protocol, or it might be me / user error. Maybe the lack of GPS signal in my basement, despite me having my coordinates entered into both SkySafari and the AZ100, does not play nice with alignment.

2 hours ago, swsantos said:

that might originate in the DSC or SkySafari

Maybe, however also present with Luminous Pro.

Let us know how you get on once the fires are out, however not holding my breath for golden master of the firmware.

On 21/06/2023 at 22:44, Deadlake said:

What do you get out of SS to nexus instead of directly to the AZ100 controller?

When Nexus DSC is connected by serial cable, the Rowan Web interface is disabled and I am 90% sure that Sky Safari cannot connect to AZ100 when that occurs. (Edit - it will in fact connect, but thinks it is in another part of sky. Eg the offset from the encoders does not match DSC, so not usable)

@swsantos have you tried it? Thanks for finding those overshoots as well, nice to know I am not alone! There is some overshoot even using DSC alone. Our experience with DSC seems to be the same.

Added info

3 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

When Nexus DSC is connected by serial cable, the Rowan Web interface is disabled and I am 90% sure that Sky Safari cannot connect to AZ100 when that occurs. (Edit - it will in fact connect, but thinks it is in another part of sky. Eg the offset from the encoders does not match DSC, so not usable)

@swsantos have you tried it? Thanks for finding those overshoots as well, nice to know I am not alone! There is some overshoot even using DSC alone. Our experience with DSC seems to be the same.

With the Nexus connected to the AZ100 by serial cable I then connected SkySafari to the Nexus DSC by wifi, so SkySafari is controlloing the mount through the Nexus DSC (like it did pre-motors). The commands issued by SkySafari are passing through the Nexus DSC and it is the Nexus DSC that's communicating with the AZ100.

You are right, it does not appear possible to connect SkySafari to the AZ100 directly while it is connected to the Nexus DSC as not only the web interface disabled it pops up a message that in order to do that the serial connection must first be disconnected.