Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

7 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Not yet is the answer! The Rowan website says it will be able to work with a Nexus DSC.

The Motor Drive System Manual states : Connections:  RS232 - For Nexus DSC

@Dek Rowan Astro e-mailed me in January "Firmware coming soon for the AZ100 to work with the Nexus DSC, which we should be able provide a Beta version for testing. "

The firmware has not been updated since version V1.0.4 issued in November. So this is still a work in progress.

What about with motor kit fitted and no DSC.
Still possible perform push-to with the motors off using sky safari tp choice target?

Heads up for American buyers for this mount: add about $200 or 6% extra to the purchase price, due to the import duty. DHL gives you 5 days to decide before returning the parcel back to England.

The estimated total is $4100 for the AZ100 package:

• $2600 for mount (+ encoders + various accessories like the pier)
  • $200 for mount import taxes
  • $915 for tripod (Berlebach Planet)
  • $400 for Nexus DSC Pro

I bought this as a 30th birthday present/splurge for me, and I hope it lasts for many years unlike my Celestron mount.

Correct! I definitely want to use this mount manually for several months and observing sessions. After seeing how it handles a 120ED + C11 side by side, then possibly order the GoTo motors—and also once reviews of Rowan’s upcoming hand controller exist.

I only observe from a dark site (Class 2 Bortle) several hours away from my city by car. I want to see how quickly I can pack the mount and tripod in my car and then reassemble at the site.

• 2 weeks later...

C11 works very well on AZ100, if anything the extra weight makes the scopes glide more as I push the scopes around the heavens:

image.thumb.jpeg.1a416ebfc89863dfd7d0eaee30ccdec6.jpeg

Not a great photo, however no streetlights where I live makes all the difference. SQM reading of 21.02.

Back to the mount, the C11 is huge and mounting was relatively painless due to the Rowan saddles which had a vice like grip on the scope. 
Wobbles after a refocus went quickly (more to do with the TPod tripod).
In this case a 7.5 kg LZOS was on the other side.
Just need some motor's for the planets....

(Yes the C11 needs a dew shield however waiting for heater to turn up, mirrored scopes are a faff...)

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

7.5" LZOS

Really?

Nice setup regardless. I’ve done a slightly smaller version with FC100 and a C925 before, nice combo. Was on a Gitzo/Ercole so nowhere near as stable as the AZ100/TPod. Skies sound good where you are 👍

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Typo 7.5 kg, I suspect AZ100 is stable regardless if a weight/scope is attached to the other side.

That’s more like it 😉

Yes, in my experience the balance left to right makes no difference to the smoothness of the mount. A counterweight is only needed to ensure stability of the whole rig to avoid toppling, not for smoothness unlike most others out there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the Firmware installed on my AZ100 and all works well with the Nexus DSC and the Rowan App....

After 5 nights of good observing recently it is now going to be cloud cover for some time which is  irritating, but hey ho...:smiley:

Edited by Saganite

16 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I now have the Firmware installed on my AZ100 and all works well with the Nexus DSC and the Rowan App....:headbang:

After 5 nights of good observing recently it is now going to be cloud cover for some time which is  irritating, but hey ho...:smiley:

Does said firmware support a joystick/pad?

Also why use a Nexus DSC over SkySafari etc, how do they compare?

Edited by Deadlake

I cannot answer your questions yet, It is all new to me.  The Nexus I have had for two years anyway, but operation from a mobile phone is definitely the way forward for me.  As for SkySafari, I have never used it.  Hopefully Derek will answer your question on the joystick.pad.

3 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I cannot answer your questions yet, It is all new to me.  The Nexus I have had for two years anyway, but operation from a mobile phone is definitely the way forward for me.  As for SkySafari, I have never used it.  Hopefully Derek will answer your question on the joystick.pad.

Presume you align using the Rowan PWA (progressive web app) for alignment and then use the Nexus to goto a target?

I can see the benefits of a Nexus DSC for a dark night but given the current Moon phase not had the chance to see the difference. 

I have been aligning by pointing South and leveling the scope with a small spirit level since fitting the motors last October and that works very well. Once done the one star or two star alignment is carried out and away you go.  The Nexus or the App can be used independently.

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2980.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

Edited by Saganite

3 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Does said firmware support a joystick/pad?

Also why use a Nexus DSC over SkySafari etc, how do they compare?

I saw this firmware at NEAF and was told that it does indeed support bluetooth joysticks, I think they even showed it to me in action with a small handheld joystick.

Edited by swsantos

30 minutes ago, swsantos said:

I saw this firmware at NEAF and was told that it does indeed support bluetooth joysticks, I think they even showed it to me in action with a small handheld joystick.

I checked Rowans site and cannot see where to download updates or is this contact Derek directly?

3 hours ago, Saganite said:

I have been aligning by pointing South and leveling the scope with a small spirit level since fitting the motors last October and that works very well. Once done the one star or two star alignment is carried out and away you go.  The Nexus or the App can be used independently.

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2980.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

Steve.  @Saganite You have opened a  can of worms here with me re the photos. How do you get to see on screen the info from photos 2 & 3 my friend ???  Picture 1 does look familiar as it's the HOME screen ?? but on my I Phone all I ever see is stars named stars.  No constellation lines or Messier objects etc. I've been able to use the search option to find stars and set up the mount  BUT ?????  

I presume the reason is that I have never seen the info on photo number 2 where  you enable databases.  Could you give me an idiots guide on how to see the Enable databases screen. 

As you know we met at IAS and I had already had a word with the Rowan guys but I was left non the wiser. Guess I didnt explain myself correctly.  From the home screen I seem to be running  V1.0.4 of the software.  I've downloaded the last update   V 4.4 I think and the mount has rebooted but I'll be blowed as to how to get to the enable databases screen.  

Thanks in advance and to anyone else who can direct me. Users issues as usual with yours truly 

John 

On 04/05/2023 at 10:24, Stephenstargazer said:

The firmware has not been updated since version V1.0.4 issued in November. So this is still a work in progress

@Saganite can you have a look at the web page and tell us what version you are using. The above V1.0.4 is still listed on the update page as per Deadlake's comment. I have been waiting since January for the DSC compatible version!

@Dek Rowan Astro can we have an update on the update ?

9 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

I have just looked carefully at screen posted by Saganite and the version shown at top is 1.1.0, which I presume is the major re-write expected? But how/when do we get it???

I was at the factory today and I think it has  become available very recently.  I should think its availability is imminent

Edited by Saganite

16 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I was at the factory today and I think it has  become available very recently.  I should think its availability is imminent

Must be beta as the motor kit I have was dispatched a week ago

@Saganite  DM sent.  My settings on the web page are wrong.  Now noticed on your photos showing the config - joystick direction options show the word "normal" and both have a dropdown box option.  

My joystick settings just show as a zero on both and no dropdown box option at all.  I have no DB box at the bottom  of the config screen either . Very strange    John  

Edited by Telescope40