NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB 3.1 Ports

Stub Mandrel

Can I assume USB 3.1 ports that are ' Data Transfer Only ' are useless for operating cameras etc?

Is the work around a powered USB  3.1 hub, and how practical are these if you want to work away from mains sockets?

1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™ (Data Transfer Only, 5 Gb/s signaling rate)
2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A (Data Transfer Only)

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Just now, JamesF said:

Yes, I wonder if by "Data Transfer Only" they mean "unsuitable for charging".  I'd expect "normal" bus-powered USB devices to work.

James

I'm beginning to suspect this is the case.

@Alien 13 you're a computer performance guru. I need a new computer for business how would you rate this:

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=7GM19EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Obviously not a super duper gaming machine...

USB 3.1 Gen 1 is apparently the 'new' name for USB 3.0 so works at the 3.0 speed of 5 Gb/s compared to the 10 Gb/s of USB 3.1.

Data Transfer only means it won't supply much (or any) current for powering devices. It's possible the 5V pin is not even connected to 5V.

A reply on the HP forum from their technical advisor says

USB 3.1 Gen 1 (is for data transfer only), means USB 3.1 at half the current speed, without video, charging, or Thunderbolt capabilities.

So it seems it may supply some current.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

24 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm beginning to suspect this is the case.

@Alien 13 you're a computer performance guru. I need a new computer for business how would you rate this:

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=7GM19EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Obviously not a super duper gaming machine...

Looks like a well balanced machine, the 512Gb SSD is good to have but it would be interesting to know if it had spare slots so you could fit a HDD at some point if you started to run out of storage space. 

Alan

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I hope those HDD's are in a raid 1 array, no spinning rust lasts forever....

One's periodically backed up to the other.

I make sure I have off-line backups of everything - I have anti-ransomeware but I don't want to take any chances.

Before SSD drives became cheap enough and the norm, I had bought several hybrid drives (750 Gb). I set two up in a raid 0 array. Faster than I had had before so OK. I backed these up regularly and kept the backups elsewhere.  Then the inevitable, disk failure and lost all data. OK I had backups so no big deal.

But to be quite honest these hybrid drives are and were awful. Over time they slowed down significantly. The cure apparently was to erase then reformat and start over,,,,, some hope! I dumped the lot.

By then ssd drives were becoming cheaper. So I invested in Samsung 1Tb jobs. Over £400 per drive then for the 850 pro version. 

Today I just bought a spare Samsung 2 Tb 860 EVO to backup my m2 SSD internal drive data for £253. The m2 1Tb drive cost just over £100. A bit different! 

Reminds me that when  I moved from the Tandy Color computer (tape drive) to the   BBC (eprom)  then to the newest thing,  a PC with 5.25 " floppy discs back in the 80s, with a 40Mb HDD, I upgraded to an 82Mb HDD 3.5 inch job at over £170,  how times change. 

Forgot to add, that the latest drive will be used to backup from a USB 3.1 gen2 Thunderbolt port!

I'm too old. 😂

Derek

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 2

I have 14tb of spinning rust at the moment, unraid parity protection is the only backup strategy I have - critical stuff is backed up to a seperate spinning drive, and offsite storage though.

A critical failure, fire etc would lose me about half of it 😐

Have been tempted to switch it all to SSD but still not quite cheap enough. Since none of it is accessed often (and when it is I can wait) the speed isn't really an advantage worth the premium yet.

59 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Reminds me that when  I moved from the Tandy Color computer (tape drive) to the   BBC (eprom)  then to the newest thing,  a PC with 5.25 " floppy discs back in the 80s, with a 40Mb HDD, I upgraded to an 82Mb HDD 3.5 inch job at over £170,  how times change. 

I was contemplating a NAS in the Amazon Black Friday sale - purely to rip the drives out of but 24TB was £390! About the same price I paid for my first 500MB hard drive.

• Haha 2

I have 2 16TB NAS drives, spinning rust, each in a Raid 5 config, which mirror each other, and additional NAS devices for use @ star camps etc. and everything is GB connected.

So whenever I manage to capture an image, they are then saved to my local NAS cloud, so are available for processing anywhere in the local network....

Yes I put together  a SCSI raid array when at Uni some years ago. Started with Raid 5 but it was too slow so added another drive to make it Raid 10. Even with 10,000 rpm drives no where near as fast as the present M2 nvme types from Samsung. The main computer I am replacing now was built with water a cooled CPU and Video card on separate circuits,  way back about 13/14 years ago. Over time the drives have been replaced several times, but still way slower than the present HP job I've just bought. I have been struggling on awaiting the next best thing, but how long do you wait?

The latest USB 3.1 Thunderbolt connects are the way forwards for external drives, but what is on the horizon I wonder??

Derek

6 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If you have the money, then look out for optically connected devices e.g. HP Storageworks SAN ....  TB\sec systems......

I agree, but the cost is still prohibitive unfortunately especially for longer high quality connections. Lindy do a few.

Derek