Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep21_banner.thumb.jpg.d744e66b98367f1c5d57b7966c303f1b.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
astrosathya

Power and USB Hub

Hi Everyone,

While we all know that there are plenty of hubs out there in the market like Hitec Astro Hub and Pegasus Astro Hubs for providing 12VDC and USB comm link for good cable management, I am a DIY person with little to no experience in electronics. I do know how to solder reasonably well. 

I am looking to see if someone here could help me with a circuit diagram for a hub that gives has 5x12VDC output, 3x5VDC output and 4xUSB powered hub for communication. I would then go out, purchase all components and build one for myself.

This is only so that I don't have too many cables dangling off of my mount and becoming a constant trip hazard.

TIA guys.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By petejw
      Hi
      I want to build a multi voltage power supply to run scope, cameras, usb hub etc each device having different power requirements
      I have done some searching round the internet and come up with the following circuit, can anyone provide any advice as to whether it is an OK design or have I got it completely round my neck (Wont be the first time) I have a 24Volt 10A regulated power supply and was looking to use this as the input.
      I am sure I am not the only person to want to do this, are there designs out there, I dont want to reinvent the wheel
      Any advice greatly appreciated

• By NeilDMunro
      Hi,
      I have been attempting to update my SynScan V3 Hand Controller from V3.08 to latest version. Handset bootloader is V1.7.
      Unfortunately I just get the message “Can not connect to SynScan hand control”. I have looked at numerous forums and tried everything that has been suggested (including older versions of firmware installer), but getting nowhere.
      I am using a Skywatcher SynScan USB Adapter (purchased from Bristol Cameras) and installed the driver from the Skywatcher website. The adapter shows in the COM ports and says it is working properly.
      I have tried different computers (Win10 and XP) with no joy.
      Can anyone help, or is there anyone in North Aberdeenshire that has successfully updated their handset willing to give mine a go (once travel restrictions, etc ease)?
      Thanks
    • By Nistelboy
      Hi all,
      I'm new to this forum but not particularly new to astronomy. 
      Anyway, I have an issue and I'm hoping that there is someone here who can help or at least point me in the right direction.

I have a celestron advanced VX which I have now owned for probably 5 years or so, I lost a bit of interest in astronomy so all of my equipment went away and I have just recently started it all up again.
      Iwas powering the mount using an RAC heavy duty jump starter, which, admittedly, I haven't been keeping on charge! So there is a fair chance it is dead/on it's way out. So I purchased a talentcell 8300 from Amazon, it arrived today (12th) and I plugged in straight in to the mains to charge up, as soon as it was fully charged I plugged it in to my mount and nothing, literally nothing at all, no lights, no reponse, it's as if I had not plugged it in. So I plugged one of my RAC units in, one of them, when fully charged, will power the mount but not fully, the power LED comes on but the backlight on the HC does not and all I can see on the display is "boot start".
      I then tried to power the mount via the same 12v cable as I was using from the RAC units but with the power pack plugged in a charging too, this all worked exactly as expected, everything turned on, I can input into the HC and the motors all respond to input. I have noticed that the power LED on the 12v cigarette connector does dim dramatically as soon as I turn the avx on (when plugged in to the RAC pack). 
      I purchased the talentcell unit as I had noticed on other forums that people were using it for the same mount, it is rated as 12v and 6A output so all should be ok. I have not had a chance to check anything with my multimeter, and, honestly, I'm not that handy with one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Many thanks

• By willcastle
      Has anyone used the celestron lithium powertank (the small one, not the pro version) with a skywatcher HEQ5?
      It looks like it should be perfect but that is coming from someone who is relatively clueless
      From the skywatcher specs, it looks like the mount needs 2 amps of current, and the powertank supplies 3, so that should be good?
      It also looks like the power cable is a double-ended tip-positive 2.1 mm plug, so i assume that even though it doesn't have one of those 12V car battery inputs, it shouldn't matter right?
      (just to save people some time, i'm not going to bother with a lead battery / leisure battery / jump-start pack / etc)
    • By PlanetGazer
      I was hesitant to write this earlier, but I wanted to try all possible ways to get my new SkyWatcher 250P GOTO allgined, but to no avail.
      I have followed the instruction manuals of both the synscan and SW, and managed to get the message "alignment successful" multiple times on the handset or the app. The closest I got when I tried to dial a different star was a 20 to 25 degrees off on the azimth axis. Most times it's off by a margin on both axes.
      I have tried aligning around 30 times on more than 5 diffrenet occasions, different locations as well. I end up ignoring the thing and switch to navigating manually as the eager friends want to observe instantly, but we ran out of objectes and the planets are not close anymore, so I figured it's time to get deeper DSO's and sort out the GOTO.
      Here is what I do:
      • I level the scope to the zero reading on top of the base
      • I make sure the base is level with a spirit level I bought recently
      • I point the scope northish, but latley I bought compass to pinpoint north
      • I plug all equipments in and then switch on the power from a lead acid battery
      • I enter the date ( US fromat, month before day 😕 )
      • enter correct time zone obviously
      • the coordinates in the format of E 000 00 , N 00 00 
      • As for  elevation I use "my  elevation" app, not sure if it's accurate. Does this entry have to be that accurate?
      • I tried both brightest star and the 2 star align methods on the handset (which seems to be the same thing apart from the brightest method having an extra menu asking for which direction you are pointing at)
      I even used the synscan app and the synscan pro, and tried the 3 star align method. The app uses location and enters all data automatically
      •I use the top and right arrows as the last press before centring the star in the eyepiece as  recommended by the manual

These are the steps I follow when I align , is there anythung I missed? Your kind help is much appreciated.

Update: issue solved, check the reply in the second page

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.