NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I've finally ordered a Mesu 200 MK2 (Mesu e200)

Jonk

I’d say facilitated alt/az mount fine adjustments aren’t necessary if the mount is going on a permanent pier, but I used the adjusters a lot on the Mk 1 when I used to set up and take down every session.

There is quite a bit of engineering to provide the altitude adjustment on the Mk 1, I can see why you might want to dispense with it from both rigidity and cost stand point.

Hello everyone I am new and have just ordered also a Mesu 200MK2, I come to your site because in France nobody in one of MK2, I will install a newton of 410mm

F / D 5, 1900mm long

it is a challenge for this mount because Mesu announces 100 kg but I have not yet seen on the forums a photographic set 50 kg ... sorry for the translation is google

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished my drawings for the counterweights and 2 adaptor plates.

I've improved my 3d drawing and managed to produce the following renders.

Whilst they look like photographs, they are not but certainly look good to me!

Lucas has been very helpful in explaining certain things and I'm ready to order the material and get to work.

1266268951_Counterweightrender.jpg.6dc078aa490bff8b65f34fc6cb6cbe94.jpg

846346994_Mountonpierwithweightsrender1.jpg.723730e00f7c1209108f4f1ced546956.jpg

2003782277_Mountonpierwithweightsrender2.jpg.264c5d37b74969c953dd1cfa1ce039ae.jpg

629071920_Mountonpierwithweightsrender3.jpg.4240a5f21a83ecf2ea97143e8c1414d8.jpg

As has been discussed, the fine tuning for polar alignment is done via the 3 x M12 bolts holding the mount to the pier adaptor plate, much like collimating a Newtonian mirror.

Hopefully, the image shows this to those who didn't see before.

These bolts will be good for 1000kg each (so I read) and need to be kept as short as possible to minimise any potential movement.

This 'should' easily be stiffer and more reliable than current wedge type adjusters.

The 4 x long bolts holding the adaptor plate to the pier gives me something to mount the Sitech controller and USB hub to, not to mention cable ties for cables.

The counterweights will be approximately 16kg of 316 stainless steel, with bronze insert.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jonk said:

I've finished my drawings for the counterweights and 2 adaptor plates.

Lucas has been very helpful in explaining certain things and I'm ready to order the material and get to work.

1266268951_Counterweightrender.jpg.6dc078aa490bff8b65f34fc6cb6cbe94.jpg

846346994_Mountonpierwithweightsrender1.jpg.723730e00f7c1209108f4f1ced546956.jpg

2003782277_Mountonpierwithweightsrender2.jpg.264c5d37b74969c953dd1cfa1ce039ae.jpg

629071920_Mountonpierwithweightsrender3.jpg.4240a5f21a83ecf2ea97143e8c1414d8.jpg

As has been discussed, the fine tuning for polar alignment is done via the 3 x M12 bolts holding the mount to the pier adaptor plate, much like collimating a Newtonian mirror.

Hopefully, the image shows this to those who didn't see before.

These bolts will be good for 1000kg each (so I read) and need to be kept as short as possible to minimise any potential movement.

This 'should' easily be stiffer and more reliable than current wedge type adjusters.

The 4 x long bolts holding the adaptor plate to the pier gives me something to mount the Sitech controller and USB hub to, not to mention cable ties for cables.

The counterweights will be approximately 16kg of 316 stainless steel, with bronze insert.

I agree they will hold a big load, but for such an expensive and well made mount, a “proper” fine tune, declination adjuster should be present, this design is going backwards in mount design in my opinion...getting very fine adjustment with spanners on a mount like this is not good.......Sorry but my opinion... :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WanderingEye said:

“proper” fine tune, declination adjuster should be present

I was sceptical when I first saw it, but now I've had a proper look, I can see that using a spanner on an M12 nut to fine tune the PA won't be a problem. The mount will be very fixed in place so once adjusted, I don't need to worry about it unless I see any movement over time.

I could even buy 3 x finer pitch bolts to make it even easier - in fact, I think I will!

I doubt I will remove the mount and take it out anywhere, and if I do, it's likely to only be once a year if I go away to a star party, but even then I'd be reluctant.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2019 at 20:33, spillage said:

Even she has noticed that we have not  had a clear night in an age. 

Isn't that the main problem, I couldn't justify it given the usage it would ever get. That said it is a lovely bit of kit :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac

I had been considering it for a long time, with that thought in mind.

My thinking is that I hope it will last many many years so even with low usage per month, it will be there to use whenever the weather allows.

I will also have a solar option so it could be used in the daytime too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if anyone else is thinking of doing the same, which is perfectly possible...

It doesn't look like anyone produces M12 caphead 100mm fine pitch bolts, that are fully threaded.

So I've had a chat with people cleverer than me and I'm going to use M12 x 1mm pitch threaded bar, with a locking nut on the end to 'make' a bolt.

Hopefully, it'll the 1st adaptor plate will be ready in time for Christmas so I can finally go and play outside .

On 26/11/2019 at 14:11, WanderingEye said:

Oh, I thought these were pictures taken in your garden... good views in all directions!

• Haha 1

Looks terrific, an end to meridian flips.  I have to say I have found my Mesu Mk1 to be an extremely dull, boring mount.  It doesn't look in the least bit stylish and all it does is track, and track, and track, and move to where it is told, and track.  You don't even have backlash to add a bit of spice.  It's a completely forgetable mount 🙄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AKB said:

Oh, I thought these were pictures taken in your garden... good views in all directions!

I wish!

15 hours ago, MartinB said:
19 hours ago, Tim said:

Which is exactly what you want!

Quite!

Hear here!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

I've been like a kid at Christmas this last week, and have had some time to fit the mount to the pier, to make sure everything lines up as it should before I get the adaptor plates anodised.

Voila! They fit fine.

IMG_8773.thumb.JPG.237b3ee337c61914a9cd484f788f1f9c.JPG

IMG_8780.thumb.JPG.4bf1d9980855d3726ca35945743b58ea.JPG

IMG_8777.thumb.JPG.ba860dd5a8edddfec8279d6e6022aea0.JPG

Unfortunately I can't really align or test it yet as I don't have the counterweights - they're next on the list to have made and hopefully it won't be long before they're ready.

I've bought some fine pitch M12 bolts / nuts so the polar alignment adjustment will be easier and more precise over standard pitch bolts. These aren't fitted yet, the bolts shown are just for test fitment purposes.

All in all, I'm pleased with how it's coming together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

Happy New Year!

I've been like a kid at Christmas this last week, and have had some time to fit the mount to the pier, to make sure everything lines up as it should before I get the adaptor plates anodised.

Voila! They fit fine.

IMG_8773.thumb.JPG.237b3ee337c61914a9cd484f788f1f9c.JPG

IMG_8780.thumb.JPG.4bf1d9980855d3726ca35945743b58ea.JPG

IMG_8777.thumb.JPG.ba860dd5a8edddfec8279d6e6022aea0.JPG

Unfortunately I can't really align or test it yet as I don't have the counterweights - they're next on the list to have made and hopefully it won't be long before they're ready.

I've bought some fine pitch M12 bolts / nuts so the polar alignment adjustment will be easier and more precise over standard pitch bolts. These aren't fitted yet, the bolts shown are just for test fitment purposes.

All in all, I'm pleased with how it's coming together.

Maybe I am missing something, or just not read the whole thread, but after taking out a second mortgage to buy one of these, how come you have to carry on spending on these Adapter plates, surely it comes ready to use..? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

surely it comes ready to use..?

Only if you buy the complete setup - pier / head etc. Is anything is astronomy plug and play?!

This mount doesn't even come with counterweights, you need to source your own. I designed my own and am having them made, as commercial ones cost a lot more.

I had an existing pier which I had modified to a bent knee pier for my latitude, therefore I needed a bespoke adaptor to couple the mount head to the pier.

I also didn't want a losmandy clamp fitted, as I wanted to use an aluminium optical table (breadboard), giving me the flexibility to add multiple things in multiple positions. This required another adaptor plate; Lucas Mesu himself agreed with my design and helped by explaining what I needed to do.

Ultimately, I enjoy the engineering / planning that goes into all this and once my observatory is built and all of this equipment is installed, it wll be my sanctuary.

Edited by Jonk
fat fumbs
  • Like 2