Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which scope to buy

Flextube OTAs weigh about 1kg more than the solid tube versions. All the bits needed to make the flextube bit work weigh more than just a bit of tube.

I’ve weighed a 10” flextube OTA and a solid tube 10”. The flextube GOTO overall weight is a few kg more than a solid tube dob due to the added weight of the GOTO system.

Edited by johninderby

32 minutes ago, Raph-in-the-sky said:

I do not beleive this to be true. According to astroshop.eu the 10' Full tube weighs in at 12kg whereas the Flextube weigh in at 15kg (OTA only). I don't beleive that this difference is significant and the smaller volume when storing/transporting might be worth it for some.

My bad - assumed the flexi would be lighter !!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John said:

My 12 inch F/5.3 Orion Optics dob weighs around the same as a Skywatcher solid tube 10 inch dob. I can move my 12 inch around in 2 parts pretty easily. It's almost a "grab and go" scope actually :icon_biggrin:

12dobwaiting.JPG.5cbc2ab16d0f02a444b2bcbf4289e5e5.JPG

I like what you did for the counter weight. I'll keep that in mind for when I get heavier EPs

• Like 1

If I need to I can just about shift the 8" goto flextube SW in my pictures on my own all in one piece.   It's simplicity with two people and in two pieces moving it one section at a time is not an issue.  I have never lifted a non-flex-tube version so cannot comment on the relative weights.  I like the flex-tube for taking up my less space in storage (on it's base about the same storage size as that dining chair I mentioned in the previous post) and would have another one rather than a solid tube if I had another Dob of a different size.  I bought the one in my pictures after lots of questions to SGL and think, for me, it's little short of ideal and I wanted to do the sorts of things the OP listed.

On 24/09/2019 at 17:59, mattjanes100 said:

A question for those that have one of those 8" and above Dobs - just how mobile are they? I haven't seen or used one first hand so I don't have a good grasp of it but they seem quite cumbersome compared to, say, a fast Newt?

Matt

I am out a couple nights per month doing presentations in schools, space badge joeys/cubs, scouting movement with my club

Only takes a few minutes to set up, and I lay a laser pointer along mount for finderscope, to aim where want to view

The mount and scope fit on back seat of my SUV, easy to transport

Occasionally have to do a collimation of primary and secondary mirrors, and I use laser collimator to do that

Again takes only a couple of minutes, as done so often

Have had my 10" Dob now for over 10 years

I also put a small tarp under the mount, as base is chipboard, to protect the bottom of the base from any moisture in the ground

John

• Thanks 1

a lot people say the 8" dob but I guess I, the black sheep here cause I don't think a dob is best in the smaller sizes 8" and under and heres y and maybe some u wont agree but this is my opnion from obsevering over the years. also just cause the dob is the cheapest kind scope doesn't make it the best scope.

first ok a 8" dob is about 48" tall (4ft) so when viewing upward (zenith)an adult will be bending down already, then if u put 45 degree or lower your on your knees or lower. Some people may say get a small table BUt then it need to be sturdy or it will bonce the scope on top of that. also that's another item to carry outside.

if you live in an apt or condo building carrying extra trips cant be done. even if you live in a house that's still an extra trip I don't wanna do.

next the dob cant be upgraded like a eq one with a drive. and when your obsevering at high powers 200 to 400x the object may leave from 20 sec to 10 sec depending on power used and fov of ep. so making small mm movements on a dob is hard on high powers not so much on low to medium powers. moving even half an inch at high powers by hand can throw the item in the ep oot of the view.

I think a 6"f/5 reflector on a eq4 is better and u can carry everything one shot and u can manually track the object or add a drive. or a 8'f/5 reflector on eq5

joejaguar

It all depends where you observe from.  Most observe from their back garden where a few short trips are no big deal and transportation is a non issue.

Just use a stool to sit on and the dob is at a very compfortable height. Yes you can add GOTO or drives to a dob. There are kits out there but the simplest solution is to use an EQ platform for the dob to sit on which will track for about an hour until it needs resetting.  

Get a Bresser 8” dob which uses tube rings so easy to remove the alt bearings and fit a dovetail then stick it on an EQ mount.

B1CA75E3-7225-4F72-9AE0-123BDFC14CBC.jpeg

My 8” Dob is ready for use in about 2 minutes. After some thought I built a wooden base to which I mounted a water butt base then the scope. It has 4 wheels and a handle and can be wheeled from my garage to the garden in under 1 minute. The other advantage is the extra height which is just right for me

If you have a backyard with decent access to and from your storage area and can lift some weight, I'd go for a used 10" dob or as big as you can afford and lift. I've 5" and 8" reflectors and a 20" dob which goes in my van easily enough for what it is (170lbs). I've managed to carefully pick up both the base and mirror before at 152lbs, but I don't really recommend it because of bulk, fragility and certainly expense. All three are fun, the 5" has surprisingly sharp optics, the 8" will pick up lots of DSOs nicely under dark enough skies, but the 20" of course just blows it away. It's a lot of work at times though. If I had to live with just one to easily chuck in a car, I'd pick a 10" or 12", maybe a 14" though you're looking at some money now. Check out AstroBuySell US, eBay, etc. A few dobs usually for sale if you are patient.  Do you have garage space or some kind of secure shed out back you could store it in? You can also build up your eyepiece collection as you go. The Skywatcher 28mm 2" eyepiece is cheap as dirt and actually pretty decent in my book. The 10 and 25mm not so hot. You could probably get a 28mm ep for $15, if not free. The rest will fall into place. Good luck!

I've got two cheap armless bar stools from ebay one set high and one set low, these are great for grabbing to put backside down on for observing.  I've tried the Dob on a water-butt stand.  The height was great, but there was too much flex in it to be perfect.  It would be great filled with concrete and as permanently sited table though.

Edited by JOC

In answer to the OP as I have only just seen this post.
To tell someone else what scope to buy is akin to telling someone else what car to buy, we are all different.
But, based on your question and my multitude of scope changes I feel ok to comment.

I have found reflectors far more comfortable to use and therefore use them more, 
it's the seated position that I find easy on my back and now knees.
The reflectors are also more cost effective £ per mm of aperture.
If dobsonian mounted even more cost effective.

I own a 10" OOUK dobsonian and love it, good aperture, light for a 10" and a sublime metal dobsonian base.
I also own a C8 SCT that does not get used in favour of the 10" and a 4" ED Vixen refractor that I love when I use it,
but I pass it by for the 10" based on comfort for me and the aperture.

So in answer to your question an 8" Dobsonian such as the Skywatcher 200p Skyliner is well regarded as a great all rounder
and superb value for money. 

• Like 1