Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope/mount cover recommendations

Hi all, 

I'm looking for some telescope cover recommendations which has been tried and tested and doesn't break the bank. 

Situational factors: Only the mount will live under the covers if there are clear nights in succession. The scope will come inside during the night but might live under it during the day time (for a couple of hours) only. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by souls33k3r

I have had mine a while and for the life of me I cannot recall who made it but I recently purchased a cover to protect my stack of four plastic chairs from that well known online auction site and I thought it would make an excellent budget scope cover. It was not one of the cheapo ones but as I recall it cost about £30. The problem seems to be that as soon as the word "telescope" is attached to something it invites a premium.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I used a TeleGizmo for about 8 months in total.... it withstood wind, rain and especially sun. It was very hard wearing..... I would very much recommend them 👍🏻👍🏻

Hi Sara, 

Yeah TG are great at what they do but it's the price bracket which is out of my budget unfortunately for the purpose I'll be needing. I'm sure they're worth their weight in gold. 

34 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

I have had mine a while and for the life of me I cannot recall who made it but I recently purchased a cover to protect my stack of four plastic chairs from that well known online auction site and I thought it would make an excellent budget scope cover. It was not one of the cheapo ones but as I recall it cost about £30. The problem seems to be that as soon as the word "telescope" is attached to something it invites a premium.

I agree mate, that's why some times we might have to resort to alternatives which for our needs are sufficient which is exactly what I'm looking for. Would be nice to find out if there is a cheaper yet good alternatives to the premium brands out there that will do the job. Also would be handy if you could remember which one you bought and how long have you used it for and any your take on it :)

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Bought one a few months ago as recommended by a fellow member, thought I'd bookmarked the site but can't find it ATM, will have a search later.

Dave

No worries mate, would appreciate it :)

A friend of mine recommended some towels and then a BBQ / Garden Furniture cover

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Looks huge, even the one I got is big. What are you covering?

Just the mount head/counter weights (over night) but maybe the scope if I set it up during the day. 

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Looks too wide and too short.

Dave

Sorry this might be the small size, I was actually looking at the large size. I only need to cover the mount head with the counterweight bar attached and maybe the scope but the scope will only live underneath it during the day. 

Before I built the ROR Shed with Mesu 200 mount permanent setup I used to have the NEQ6 setup in the garden as my Avatar shows. The cover is a BBQ cover from B&Q....About £10 or less.

Worked fine for a good 18 months. 

• Like 1

I bought this from Greenwich a few years ago. Unfortunately they've ceased trading.  However someone may know where a similar one can by purchased.  I suspect these were originally designed to cover garden furniture or something but had been re-marketed as a scope cover.

It's got a canvas outer layer and a polypropylene or similar inner lining.  I have used it many times, and have found it good for covering the scope for several nights in a row, although I wouldn't want to use it permenantly.  When heavy rain is forcast I remove the guide and imaging cameras.  I have never noticed it being damp underneath, but if it's fine I tend to remove the cover during the day to let the telescope 'air'.  

I'd like to know where I can get the same or similar for when this one needs replacing. 

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I bought this from Greenwich a few years ago. Unfortunately they've ceased trading.  However someone may know where a similar one can by purchased.  I suspect these were originally designed to cover garden furniture or something but had been re-marketed as a scope cover.

It's got a canvas outer layer and a polypropylene or similar inner lining.  I have used it many times, and have found it good for covering the scope for several nights in a row, although I wouldn't want to use it permenantly.  When heavy rain is forcast I remove the guide and imaging cameras.  I have never noticed it being damp underneath, but if it's fine I tend to remove the cover during the day to let the telescope 'air'.  

I'd like to know where I can get the same or similar for when this one needs replacing.

image.jpeg

This one is identical. When I got mine from Green Witch, I was fuming when I found the Gardman branded labels sewn into the cover. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardman-Stacking-Garden-Chair-Cover-Green/183941226411?hash=item2ad3c05fab:g:hI8AAOSwUApdcLhA

I have several and my mount lives under for 2-3 days when a good spell of weather is forecast. It also serves me well at the SGL star party. 

Ade

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AdeKing said:

This one is identical. When I got mine from Green Witch, I was fuming when I found the Gardman branded labels sewn into the cover. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardman-Stacking-Garden-Chair-Cover-Green/183941226411?hash=item2ad3c05fab:g:hI8AAOSwUApdcLhA

I have several and my mount lives under for 2-3 days when a good spell of weather is forecast. It also serves me well at the SGL star party. 

Ade

Chuckle.  Yeah, that's the one.  Half the price too. 🙂   You have to admire the entrepreneurialism. Nuff said.  

Thanks. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Hi Sara, 

Yeah TG are great at what they do but it's the price bracket which is out of my budget unfortunately for the purpose I'll be needing. I'm sure they're worth their weight in gold. 

I agree mate, that's why some times we might have to resort to alternatives which for our needs are sufficient which is exactly what I'm looking for. Would be nice to find out if there is a cheaper yet good alternatives to the premium brands out there that will do the job. Also would be handy if you could remember which one you bought and how long have you used it for and any your take on it :)

I cannot help with my first cover but I did a bit of digging and found my receipt for the chair cover. I got it from Outdoor Value, Morton Peto road, Great Yarmouth and its their stock number OX14-G Oxbridge Green Stacking chair cover £14.99

Knowing what I do now this is the cover I would buy and use not the £70 one I got a while ago.

Picture attached

20190908_104236.jpg

@Tomatobro that looks the same as my cover.  I'd certainly buy and use one again if something happened to mine. I have left the telescope and mount under this cover in torrential rain on and off over several days with no problems at all. I think as long as the cover is intact then there's little chance of it leaking. The thing that concerns me is condensation. But even then I've not noticed much of that happening under the cover. And anyway, most of us regularly see our mounts and telescopes drenched in dew on many nights with apparently few problems. 

• 2 months later...