Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wireless DSLR software

Alien 13

Hi, I use brany lantern pro which i purchased a few years ago it works well with my 750d.

Sorry I should add that I use this when working from remote sites and it's for android tablets I use it for astrophotograpy and wildlife.its handy being able to keep warm in the sleeping bag whilst using live viewing

Edited by wetwalker
Spacing
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wetwalker said:

Hi, I use brany lantern pro which i purchased a few years ago it works well with my 750d.

Sorry I should add that I use this when working from remote sites and it's for android tablets I use it for astrophotograpy and wildlife.its handy being able to keep warm in the sleeping bag whilst using live viewing

Had a good look around the net but could not find this software?????

Alan

I have to admit that I was completely ignorant of the whole control-over-wifi thing until I started poking about in the innards of the PTP protocol recently.  In some circumstances it looks as though it could be very useful.

James

My experience and personal opinions todate using non Wifi DSLR's :-

1. Can you control a dslr camera via Wifi - answer no if its doesn't have in built Wifi or an add-on Wifi module or similar.(e.g. Linux Gphoto2 plus RPI). All the other methods ,I know of,use USB/Serial tethering. 

2. The only transparent(using existing software)  way of Wifi DSLR control via std manufacture's supported firmware for non Wifi featured DSLR's is using VirtualHere - but you would still need something like Linux/Android attached via USB/Serial on the camera. As far as I know ,via my trials, this is the only route that supports ANY std camera control software - e.g. APT.      

CONS :-

A). it can be very slow (download and Live view)  due to the 2.4 ghz Wifi and central processor (works using a RPI Zero W ) but I have not tried it on a RPI4 if that is available (RPI3b+ wasn't supported last ime I looked!).

B). Still need a "WiFi Box" attached to the DSLR via USB/Serial.

C). Cant say it worked 100% of the time.

D) Not free. $49

PRO's:-

A). It is supposed to work on most OS (Windows,Linux,Android,OS X)

B). APT/BYE Digicam all work - tried them.

C). No feature loss - if your software gave you the feature before it should still work - hence  "transparent" 

3. Using Gphoto2 works, still requires a "Wifi Linux box,  but it is reversed engineered (very well) so will never be as perfect as (well one hopes)  the manufacturer's own software.

CONS:-

A). Does support the newest camera's but is not very far behind.

B). Will not work with your existing software (as of today) - e.g APT etc

C). May not support all features in your camera firmware - Low Noise setting, Mirror Lock and a few others on some camera's cause problems and have to be disabled.

D). You need to use either Indilib or Indigo on the Linux box as there is no GUI (Modern) software.

E). Only works on Linux but the client GUI  can be else where -e.g. Indigo can use most Web Explorers.

PRO's

A). It is very reliable - subject to the whims of Wifi,OS etc

4. Expensive IMO modules like Cam Ranger/Canon WFT range etc  

5. "hacked" modules - DslrController stick or hacked TP-Link router

6. DIY shutter control.

NOTE I did say non Wifi enabled DSLR.

If someone has found a better solution that is reasonable in price please share. 🙂

• Like 1

My 2 pennies....

I've always found wifi to problematical if your expecting to do direct control , image downloads etc. as at some time the signal will drop & although it auto re-connects (hopefully), there's a good chance that the session is ruined.....

As Stash has said, the only reliable control over wifi, is to use a local SBC\PC, which does all the work, but it can be remote-controlled\monitored via the wifi…. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks, I had an extended play today with the Canon EOS utils version 3 latest update and it almost does what I want although its a bit of a faff.

The software connects and runs fine over WiFi but has a couple of oddities.

The timer function is grayed out unless the image files are set to save to both SD card and PC or PC only but not SD card only!!!!!

The live view is very good and allows the exposure simulation to be disabled so you can see lots of stars on screen and the lens microfocussing controls work well but the timer is not available till live view exited.

The timer itself is fine for exposures of less than 30s (static camera and lens shots) but can be extended to full intervalometer function by setting the camera mode dial to bulb.

There is also another useful option with EOS utils that lets you turn off the camera display during remote shooting..

I will try and have a go with some of the android phone/tablet software too.

Alan

• Thanks 1

For Canon cameras that do not have wifi but do have a usb socket, e.g. the 450D, VirtualHere could be an inexpensive solution.

I am using it for observatory control with a PC and if using the software to provide a single wifi usb link it is free, the $49 cost is if using it for multiple usb connections.  You do need hardware to act as a one-port wireless wifi router and power for it.  VirtualHere recommended the GL-MT300Nv2, available recently on Amazon for £17, which works fine for me. Add a powerbank to provide usb power out and that's it.  The people at VirtualHere in Australia were very helpful, even though it was the free version I am using.

However the one downside is that the wireless router forms a one-to-one link with your computer so no concurrent wireless e.g. internet connection.

Peter

• Like 1