NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

new scope Altair 102ED F11

Hi guys, having just bought the Altair scope and already owning the the Lyra Optics(Kumming) 102/F11 Achro and comparing the build quality of both I think I would say the the Lyra is better and obviously doesn't have the removable part of the tube which I don't like and I just wonder if it would be possible to swap the lens over to the Lyra and end up with what I think might be the better tube, a comparable,rotatable focuser which I have a Rigel electric motor on,any thoughts ,has anyone done it please don't get too technical as I am not that bright compared to the level of knowledge that everyone on here seems to display.

If am talking complete nonsense,as usual,please let me know,gently if possible.

cheers Gordon 

You would have to change the complete lens cell over so would depend on how the cell is fitted. Think they both screw on. Also if the outer diameter of the cells differ then you would also have to change over the dew shields.

So it’s a maybe if the cells have the same threads or are you opening a can of worms? 

1ACA6D5C-D2FA-4FDE-95DA-565E452A4731.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Well I have now done the dirty deed and swapped the ED and Achro lens cells over,apparently without destroying either one, so I now have what I think is a better tube with a rotating focuser which also accepts a Rigel electric focuser and a very nice Achro scope as well. If you all check back in about the year 2025,which is when I am next likely to summon up the will power and energy to drag it all outside,I will be able to tell how much I have messed both scopes up 

Gordon

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Seafury said:

Hi, getting dangerously near to being released into the wild,the Lyra with ED objective fitted and original Kumming focuser,please excuse the mess

cheers Gordon

thumbnail_IMG_0433.jpg

If you think that’s a mess wait until you see my place! ;)

BTW: I used to own an AA 102mm f11 ‘frac. Great scope, which I regret selling on now. 

1 hour ago, xtreemchaos said:

so the AA 102 ed don't have a rotating focuser like the poormans AA102 ?  just asking cos ive been thinking about getting one and that would be maybe put me off. charl.

I'm not 100% sure @xtreemchaos I assumed that it did but looking at Altair's description and photos it doesn't look like the focuser is rotatable.

Hopefully @Seafury will be along to confirm shortly. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seafury said:

Hi guys no it doesn't have the rotating focuser I'm afraid but does have a R&P one

cheers Gordon

Thanks Gordon, 

That's a bit of a shame but I guess a choice made to meet the price point maybe. 

Ade

I will probably be buying one of these telescopes at some point. I don't see the fact that it doesn't come with a rotatable focuser as a big disadvantage. If I want to observe sat down in a chair, I simply loosen the thumb screw in the focuser tube and adjust the diagonal to the required angle, tighten thumb screw back up, and job done. I only usually do that adjustment once in the observation session. But then I only really observe the planets!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave1 said:

I will probably be buying one of these telescopes at some point. I don't see the fact that it doesn't come with a rotatable focuser as a big disadvantage. If I want to observe sat down in a chair, I simply loosen the thumb screw in the focuser tube and adjust the diagonal to the required angle, tighten thumb screw back up, and job done. I only usually do that adjustment once in the observation session. But then I only really observe the planets!

Likewise, as I only sketch so as long as the focusing dials are within reach I'm happy, but a bit more of an issue for imagers I guess as I wouldn't like to release the screws holding the nose piece holding the camera assembly every time the camera needed rotating. 

Fortunately for me I decided early on not to worry about imaging, something that I'm grateful for every time I hear my imaging friends discuss their setup issues. 😉

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts if you get one @Dave1 as I have the 102 f/11 achro version and am very pleased with it, but wouldn't want to go any longer without investing in a more substantial mount than my EQ5. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Likewise, as I only sketch so as long as the focusing dials are within reach I'm happy, but a bit more of an issue for imagers I guess as I wouldn't like to release the screws holding the nose piece holding the camera assembly every time the camera needed rotating. 

Fortunately for me I decided early on not to worry about imaging, something that I'm grateful for every time I hear my imaging friends discuss their setup issues. 😉

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts if you get one @Dave1 as I have the 102 f/11 achro version and am very pleased with it, but wouldn't want to go any longer without investing in a more substantial mount than my EQ5. 

You've hit the nail on the head there, that's the only time that I could think a rotatable focuser would be an advantage, is imaging. I too took the decision not to go down that root. I just sketch at the eyepiece. 😀

I'd buy an 102ED now, but I don't think it would go down to well, here! When I do get around to getting one, if I still have my Skylight 102mm F15 I will do a comparison. The Skylight has 1/8 wave optics, so not to be sniffed at. I would expect an 102ED to do better though. All the reports I've read suggest they are excellent telescopes.   

55 minutes ago, Seafury said:

Dave  "Skylight 102mm F15 Telescope"  that sounds nice

cheers Gordon 

It is indeed nice, its the original Skylight 102mm F15 telescope, the prototype the AR101.15 was based off of. It was the telescope all the astronomy magazines reviewed, and some of the experience observes here. The experienced observers, who wrote the review for the magazine rated the optics at  1/8 wave, which is very good indeed. It was up for sale, but I'm taking if off for sale. As I want to see what it will do on the planets when they are favourably placed in the night sky.

• Like 1