NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

White oval on Jupiter?

Stu

Gosh I wish I could help out here, with Jupiter neck craningly high here I could have a wonderful chance of seeing this white feature, but it has been and continues to be overcast for 2 months and is driving me mad!!!

Snow in the forecast for the next 3 days for us on our mountain!!! :)

24 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Morning @Stu 

Having read your thread earlier this week I noticed this on my Twitter feed today. Could the two be related as Heidi does refer to “another” ?

The link to the animation is below the photo and looks a similar place to your narrative although I think the date doesn’t tally ?

CB093482-BC30-427E-A573-AF7D992AB3FF.thumb.png.c603e987dd540d3b8f649548716e865e.png

Thanks Simon, very interesting. That would have been great to see. Unfortunately this one looks like it was trailing GRS whereas the area I saw was leading it by a similar amount. When I first saw it I thought you had found the answer!

13 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Gosh I wish I could help out here, with Jupiter neck craningly high here I could have a wonderful chance of seeing this white feature, but it has been and continues to be overcast for 2 months and is driving me mad!!!

Snow in the forecast for the next 3 days for us on our mountain!!! :)

Such a shame @Geoff Barnes, you should be getting the most amazing views at the moment.

Well it was clear here, but the seeing was awful so it was difficult to make out anything on Jupiter. I moved on to CCD photometry of variable stars - much less affected by the seeing. After midnight conditions were excellent. In total a 3h session - longest I've had in quite a while!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Simon, very interesting. That would have been great to see. Unfortunately this one looks like it was trailing GRS whereas the area I saw was leading it by a similar amount. When I first saw it I thought you had found the answer!

Stu, Heidi refers to “another”. Could you have witnessed the after effects of one of the earlier “others” ?

3 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Stu, Heidi refers to “another”. Could you have witnessed the after effects of one of the earlier “others” ?

I guess it is possible although I've no idea where this was on ths SEB, would need to see the video or image to tell.

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

What time did GRS transit end? I went out about 10:30 but seeing wasn’t great and I couldn’t see GRS at all 😞 Saturn not much better and I still can’t find Pi Aquilae 

Actually at 10.30 GRS was still only just on the limb, it transitted at just past midnight. The seeing was really bad last night. On Monday night I could clearly see GRS coming around the limb but last night there was nothing!

I managed to split Izar but didn't persist as it wasn't really worth it, then the clouds came over.

Pi Aquilae is quite easy once you know how. If you have a Telrad or a finder with say 5 degree field then it will appear within the same field as Altair if you position that star towards the bottom right of the field of view. It at medium powers it is in a pair with a slightly dimmer star HD187284 near to Tarazed, so make sure you pick the brighter one the move to high power.

Screenshot_20190808-121149_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20190808-121231_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

• Thanks 1