SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Observing Area Build

Alan White

18 hours ago, Alan White said:

Pheww, delivery made 😅, I was just getting nervous.

Cladding, wood for door framing etc.
Lots of Ballast and Cement to fill in that flipping big hole.

More hard graft to start over the weekend.

Hello mate ..  looks like it’s going well .. 👍.. have you decided yet , concrete or Steel pier ? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brian28 said:

Hello mate ..  looks like it’s going well .. 👍.. have you decided yet , concrete or Steel pier ? 

Thank you Brian, as you say going OK, I hope for big progress this weekend if it stays dry.
After negotiations with the finance team, I have the funds for a steel one :) which is great, just need to decide which one now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Pulsar Pier, Top plate and fixing kit on order from @FLO.
Another piece of my jigsaw sorted out.

Cladding, door build this weekend and maybe concrete, if not its a Bank Holiday next Friday.

Well done Alan! You won't regret this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Pulsar Pier, Top plate and fixing kit on order from @FLO.
Another piece of my jigsaw sorted out.

Cladding, door build this weekend and maybe concrete, if not its a Bank Holiday next Friday.

Ooo!  Posh!!

• Thanks 1

'The Khazi' is complete, well outside it is.
The Observing Office gained its new name earlier, I can see how to be honest.
My back is killing me, off for a soak in some Radox in a minute.

The basic door structure, built it in the garage last night and the pit being let to air and dry 
from all the recent rain, was just damp not full.

IMG_1511.thumb.JPG.9f5c74fdaf06276dd7b89371bdd41460.JPG

Then membrane added.

IMG_1514.thumb.JPG.c07ab0f3137a96da40a9fc3b417aadfa.JPG

Then clad in Feather edge boards, done to match the fence it includes within the structure.

IMG_1515.thumb.JPG.1fe010864005e5a33a84e88e479e9013.JPG

Fully clad, it became 'The Khazi' as Mrs. W has kindly named my structure.
But to be honest, it does look like an Outside Toilet.

IMG_1520.thumb.JPG.237a67e4901db388b7b641d70d293b5c.JPG

So very pleased with the build, it is straight, has not fallen down 'yet'.
For a complete Wood Butcher, quite an achievement.
I think I might make Mr Ballance proud yet!

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Very nice Alan, that doesn't look like the job of a wood butcher to me, looks very professional.

Trust Mrs W to think it looked like a Privy.

Thank you.

She says it was because I was flushed with success 🤣 now the name has stuck.
I am even promised a WC sign for the door!

• Haha 2

Well not a lot to show today, but a lot done.

All internal batons in and wall boarded on each side internally, all frame sealing on edges done so fully watertight. Glad I have as it rained this afternoon although forecast said it wouldn’t. 

Had a look at the mixer and spent rest of the day sorting it out as the control box had been damaged while stored, all good now and ready to run next week for the big mix.

My back is protesting vigorously so  will leave alone for a few days now.

Work will take care of that next week, working remote I am  busier than ever, so the Astro project is a good weekend distraction. Bank holiday on Friday, so 3 day weekend on its way.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Alan White said:

My back is protesting vigorously so  will leave alone for a few days now.

Sounds like you need a good soak in the bath after all your efforts, Alan. Well done!

• Thanks 1

Well after a couple of days 'rest' and some painful back stretch exercises that the Physio gave me a while back,
I am working on the pad and Khazi again.

The Khazi now just needs some shelving cutting and fitting and we are in business at last.
The final panelling, battons to hold the shelves hidden inside walls and electrics done.

IMG_1552.thumb.JPG.a66848259dfd565f0cbb26feb7670838.JPG

I have some very nice hardwood shelves to go in, a very old and stored workbench top.
Its been scrubbed clean and it will do the job well.
Follows the use as much available material in this build.
The Khazi, all in with electrics has cost me £150, which I think is very reasonable indeed.

The pier and foundation is the next big job, the hole as you know is dug, the materials await the big mix and pour.
But no due time on the pier yet from @FLO, but that's not an issue at the minute anyway.

Very happy today indeed.

• Like 4

On 28/04/2020 at 09:59, Alan White said:

Oh noooooooo, I need to dig deeper still as hole in new money 700mm (28") x 700mm (28") x 550mm (22") deep.
I stopped as I hit a solid stone / clay bed and had dug enough, my back knows about this today.

I was so wrong, that layer is not solid at all!!

I have taken time off work to complete the Khazi and foundations for the pier, Khazi all now done bar one or two small bits.
BUT....
The hole when I jumped into it was far from solid, no water has leaked in, it's been fully covered.
The Clay has turned liquid and upon investigation to a further 300mm depth is even more liquid, it literally flows as you dig at it.
I have never seen soil or whatever behave this way.

So a big problem?  I just don't know but assume that it truly is.
I have put a call out to my brothers mate who works in civils, but he is not available at present.

Does anyone on here have 'real' experience of civils or similar that can advise me on the pier.

IMG_3724.thumb.JPG.5243465933fd483db99a41a736740157.JPG

I have tried to tread the base down, its liquid in reality and been open for more than an hour or two.

The liquid clay / soil was running out of my hand as I photographed it.

IMG_3726.thumb.JPG.f97e07cb76d9cdc5a4dc7629d3274d7c.JPG

I have to say my bigger concern is the house 7m from this location, what is it sitting on, its old Victorian build,
so the explanation of the many cracks the house has may lie in the ground conditions under it.

All very worrying on all fronts.

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

That does look odd Alan.

What is youyr elevtion at home? I wonder if you have hit the water table, though this doesn't seem very deep for it. Are you far from the nearest lake/ stream/ river?

Matt

5 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

That does look odd Alan.

What is youyr elevtion at home? I wonder if you have hit the water table, though this doesn't seem very deep for it. Are you far from the nearest lake/ stream/ river?

Matt

I am in the Essex Alps, I sit about 22m above sea level.
No stream nearby, but a 'sealed' Water Reservoir / Tank about 600 m away.

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Makes you wonder where all the water service pipes are and what condition they might be in...

James

Water main was new 15 years ago and is the other side of the property by a good 200m from the pit.

Drains also on other side of property , but we are on a treatment plant to a soakaway system in the garden, but a good 30m+ from this location.

I have had a conversation with someone in my club having posted images to my astro club too.
I am advised it is a Hoggin Layer and panic not, it will be OK to found on it if I pour straight away after tidying the hole up a bit.
So with some remaining trepidation and a deep breath, here goes.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I have had a conversation with someone in my club having posted images to my astro club too.
I am advised it is a Hoggin Layer and panic not, it will be OK to found on it if I pour straight away after tidying the hole up a bit.
So with some remaining trepidation and a deep breath, here goes.

Phew, that's good to hear.

When I first read this, I thought, well, that brown sludge is exactly what I'd expect to find underneath a khazi 🙂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Phew, that's good to hear.
When I first read this, I thought, well, that brown sludge is exactly what I'd expect to find underneath a khazi 🙂

I thought similar Jeremy,
but I verbalised those thoughts, several times to be honest!

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 2

Well good news is, it's all done, instructions followed to the letter from said friend.
And my back knows all about it, that was a lot of type 1, ballast and cement shifted and laid this afternoon.

So thanks to Peter from my astro club and @AdeKing here on SGL, both fed in lots of good information and experience.
Thanks chaps 😘

So all good and back on track 😅

Martin at @FLO was helpful putting the order on hold and then off hold this afternoon.
He was most concerned for me, which was nice of him, very friendly.
FLO as helpful and friendly as ever, thanks Martin and all the guys and girls 👍

So here is a wet square of concrete.
Not a lot to show for all that graft is it.

IMG_3728.thumb.JPG.c7a47fef47fdb8554e30c7c4af414ec9.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1