Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Updated Pi's

Dr_Ju_ju

The USB 3.0 is a game changer for me. I have ordered a Pi4 4GB and intend to test a CCDCIEL, PHD2 and ASTAP setup.  The Raspian Buster 32 bit operating system is fine for me. 1Gb memory would have been enough for this setup.

Han

18 hours ago, StarDodger said:

Nothing really even been mentioned on the Ubuntu forums yet, about support for the new rpi4b... 🙁

Of course not they haven't got a stable release of Mate(beta 1 was Feb/Mar 2019) on the 3b+ - its still beta 2 and that's over a year since the 3b+ was launched. Things do not happen that fast in third party free IT software - if things are changed.

As Julian points out there may be changes required to Indi drivers and/or QT5 - wont know till someone tries it out. 🙂

As Han stated his software will mostly work out of the box because he is using the Raspbian OS as provided by RPI for the RPI4 and most likely just loading Indiserver under Raspbian which you have to compile (?) last time I looked else its an older version of Indiserver etc. I am sure Hans will correct me if I am wrong. 

if you want to have a go at getting Kstars/Ekos etc working you can start by reading these instructions (Raspbian does not support PPA - last time I looked). This is the main problem in getting Indi/Ekos working on Raspbian (Latest versions of Kstars/Ekos). 

Jasem wrote "KStars/INDI would run on Raspbian just fine, it's just a Debian distro. The difference is that there is no PPA for it, PPAs are an Ubuntu feature."

https://linuxconfig.org/install-packages-from-an-ubuntu-ppa-on-debian-linux

https://launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

https://indilib.org/download/raspberry-pi.html - dont know if these instructions are up to date.

Edited by stash_old
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Of course not they haven't got a stable release of Mate(beta 1 was Feb/Mar 2019) on the 3b+ - its still beta 2 and that's over a year since the 3b+ was launched. Things do not happen that fast in third party free IT software - if things are changed.

As Julian points out there may be changes required to Indi drivers and/or QT5 - wont know till someone tries it out. 🙂

As Han stated his software will mostly work out of the box because he is using the Raspbian OS as provided by RPI for the RPI4 and most likely just loading Indiserver under Raspbian which you have to compile (?) last time I looked else its an older version of Indiserver etc. I am sure Hans will correct me if I am wrong. 

Well I have the new Raspbian buster loaded, but not sure how to compile and load indiserver, this Linux coding is beyond my capabilities, and fine using the software....once loaded.. :)

9 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

Well I have the new Raspbian buster loaded, but not sure how to compile and load indiserver, this Linux coding is beyond my capabilities, and fine using the software....once loaded.. :)

If I remember rightly there is an older version of Kstars available under Raspbian std repositories but cant remember if it contained Ekos and drivers.

To compile you can follow these instructions but it will only worked if every dependency is available and compatible - I have only done it on Ubuntu Mate.

read this https://www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/3512-solved-compiling-kstars-on-raspbian-debian-stretch.html

Perhaps someone will update us on this.

Edited by stash_old
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

Well I have the new Raspbian buster loaded, but not sure how to compile and load indiserver, this Linux coding is beyond my capabilities, and fine using the software....once loaded..

It is already some time ago i played with the Linux, but can't you just install it by:

sudo apt-get install ....?   See also https://indilib.org/download.html

For CCDCiel,  you could use indi starter for armhf:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/indistarter/files/indistarter-2.0.0/

It is time to experiment with my Pi3  till de Pi4 has arrived.

Edited by han59
  • Thanks 2

As a matter of interest anyone with a RPI4 just tried to download Kstars under Raspbian - on older RPI3b+it downloads older version (2.6) and limited device drivers but it migh give you an idea if ,and it should, supports Kstars. It should also start Indiserver (again older version) that Rasbian Stretch 

use add/remove software to find Kstars (not sure what that equates too under Buster!) but under Stretch it looked like the attached images. These also show Kstars/Indiserver running.

Something to do with RPI4 while you wait for an update. 🙂 

rpi4-2.png

rpi4.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Damn, one thing about the new Pi's, is the video out connectors use the micro HDMI ports, for which I have no cables as yet, but they are on their way.....

Lol...same here, awaiting an adapter for my hdmI cable.. :)

6 hours ago, stash_old said:

As a matter of interest anyone with a RPI4 just tried to download Kstars under Raspbian - on older RPI3b+it downloads older version (2.6) and limited device drivers but it migh give you an idea if ,and it should, supports Kstars. It should also start Indiserver (again older version) that Rasbian Stretch 

use add/remove software to find Kstars (not sure what that equates too under Buster!) but under Stretch it looked like the attached images. These also show Kstars/Indiserver running.

Something to do with RPI4 while you wait for an update. 🙂 

rpi4-2.png

rpi4.png

This is on my list to try with mine while I wait, I wanted to try and install a newer version, but I guess beggars can’t be choosers... :)

I've always used the HDMI port for display for setting up the RPi.  I have HDMI input on my main monitor, a couple of TVs with HDMI and a dedicated RPi LCD display that uses HDMI.  I prefer nice big screens as my eyes are not so good with small displays.

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

I've always used the HDMI port for display for setting up the RPi.  I have HDMI input on my main monitor, a couple of TVs with HDMI and a dedicated RPi LCD display that uses HDMI.  I prefer nice big screens as my eyes are not so good with small displays.

Yes and me, the issue is with the new rpi4, the connectors are hdmi micro connectors, and I have none of those cables...I have standard and mini, but not micro... :(

Ah!  I see - that's not good.  Didn't notice that.  In that case I will need a new cable or adapter and the dedicated display of the RPi 3B won't work with RPi 4  :eek:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

Ah!  I see - that's not good.  Didn't notice that.  In that case I will need a new cable or adapter and the dedicated display of the RPi 3B won't work with RPi 4  :eek:

If the display you're using with the 3B is standard HDMI, you should just be able to get a micro HDMI to standard HDMI cable for the RPi 4.

James

It's not that simple - the display unit also connects to the GPIO.  Oh wait, I could replace the back-to-back standard HDMI with a cable.

Is it possible to run Windows on the Raspberry? If not, than is Linux/Wine the only way to use PHD 2, APT, Celestron NexRemote and ASCOM... Reason I ask is because this little computer would be great in the obsy, but I image using the mentioned software.

1 minute ago, MarsG76 said:

Is it possible to run Windows on the Raspberry? If not, than is Linux/Wine the only way to use PHD 2, APT, Celestron NexRemote and ASCOM... Reason I ask is because this little computer would be great in the obsy, but I image using the mentioned software.

I don't believe this is possible I'm afraid.

James

9 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

You don’t need to run windows on the rpi, as you use APT, just run that on windows and then indigosky on the rpi as the driver server, it sits on the mount and all kit is connected to it, and then it’s acts as the replacement for Ascom, and is much better, APT was recently upgraded to work with INdI and indigo for this exact reason...

Do a search for APT and indigosky...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I don't believe this is possible I'm afraid.

James

46 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

You don’t need to run windows on the rpi, as you use APT, just run that on windows and then indigosky on the rpi as the driver server, it sits on the mount and all kit is connected to it, and then it’s acts as the replacement for Ascom, and is much better, APT was recently upgraded to work with INdI and indigo for this exact reason...

Do a search for APT and indigosky...

What about running Windows IoT??? Might be worth a look... Anyone run Win IoT and try running PHD2 and APT on that?

6 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

What about running Windows IoT??? Might be worth a look... Anyone run Win IoT and try running PHD2 and APT on that?

I was under the impression that Win IoT could only run one thing at once, or something like that.

James

Just now, JamesF said:

I was under the impression that Win IoT could only run one thing at once, or something like that.

James

Hmm.. if Rasp Pi can't run the apps than to me it seems like the Pi is just a adapter/hub and you still need a computer to run the software to control the scope and obsy....

Well....  there is a flavour of Windows 10 that will run on the Pi's (maybe not the new ones yet), its the Windows 10 IoT Core (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/downloads) but its very limited in what it can do.

Last time I looked at it, it could only run 1\2 things at a time, as the Pi soon ran out of resources with the OS overheads etc.

9 hours ago, JamesF said:

If the display you're using with the 3B is standard HDMI, you should just be able to get a micro HDMI to standard HDMI cable for the RPi 4.

James

For the Pi4, besides a micro-HDMI (HDMI-D) male  --> HDMI female extension,  you will need an USB-C male to USB for the power supply. Supply of 5v 3Amp is specified. See https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/   With some low load and luck it will hopefully work on 2.5 amp supply temporary but no guarantee.

11 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I intend to run indigo sky ,apt has updated to run on indigo 👍 details on APT forum, pi4 came yesterday awaiting SD card with noobs preinstalled and a case which is out of stock though RS  will deliver when back in stock .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Well no and you dont need Wine (but I have used it to run Synscan App Pro successfully ) - Indi or Indigo uses PHD, CDC,Kstars ,Internal/Ext Platesolving etc and APT will now run from Windows using the devices(CCD images only at moment) on the Indi(RPI) platform. Even Ascom is accessible from Indi via REST and Indiserver (Windows version). This isn't new and was already running on RPI3/3b+ (and other faster cheaper(than Win PC) SOC). If you want a install and run (so Little Linux knowledge reqd) then you can use Stellamate (but not free !) which does everything std Indi (as it is Indi) and more.

Indi does already what Ascom is trying to do now with Rest/Alpaca - distributed Client/Server software/hardware

• Thanks 1

Just now, bottletopburly said:

I intend to run indigo sky ,apt has updated to run on indigo 👍 details on APT forum, pi4 came yesterday awaiting SD card with noobs preinstalled and a case which is out of stock though RS  will deliver when back in stock .

So your just going to need indigo in the rpi, so that should work ok, as a lot of us need to wait for Ubuntu to work with it...let us know how you get on.. :)

• Like 1