Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Updated Pi's

Dr_Ju_ju

I've been looking at a Pi to use for solar imaging and have been waiting for a usb3 version. I've had issues with slow frame rate on laptops with a normal hard drive. I use an Altair Hypercam 178.

Has anyone set a Pi up to do this?

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Not yet, but I'm sure the 4Gb will be back in stock soon, as I see it as the better version for Astro work.....

Ok, I got one from Pimoroni they had them in stock.. 😀 just hope Stellarmate runs ok on it now, don’t see why not..

One of the reasons I went for the Rock64 was the better spec, but now that Pi's have caught up, it will be interesting to see what happens, especially in Indi development, now there's more grunt to play with....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Anne S said:

I've been looking at a Pi to use for solar imaging and have been waiting for a usb3 version. I've had issues with slow frame rate on laptops with a normal hard drive. I use an Altair Hypercam 178.

Has anyone set a Pi up to do this?

Yes you can do solar imaging with Kstars / Ekos, as far as I know...

26 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Think of all those peeps that have bought an ASIAir\Stellarmate with a much lower spec model...

I know, I just spoke to Jasem, and he did not know and has just got a delivery of 50 rpi3b+ and he is not a happy man at all.... ☹️

1 minute ago, Gina said:

Great!!  Just what I want for solar imaging too - and planetary.  I've been considering a Rock64.

Well the 4gb ones are selling out at the two outlets, PI hut and Pimoroni...so not sure if available anywhere else..

• Thanks 1

Think I will wait -  being in IT has taught me is never a good idea to be the first and you get the sugar coated sales pitch first and THEN the bad bits come out. Having said that hope its true and lives up to the hype.  No Emmc or SSD for example except via USB

IMHO Great product management by PI they have just blown away most of the opposition in one move - not hat the spec it great or better than the opposition but the base support is far superior to most other products in the same price range.

Note it is V8 CPU (as the PI3b+) so Ubuntu mate 18.04 need to get its act together for 64bit true V8 PI support - else its 32bit and 16.04 still for Indi - off the shelve images that is.

Perhaps Jasem can do a trade in. Plus Jasem ,IMO,needs to get all of Indi ,not just the server,working on std Raspberry Pi Desktop - and quick before the "other manaufactors" who will no doubt be bringing out their "replies".

Well done PI.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

It looks about the same with more ports and memory.  Is that what you see?  The CPU doesn't look any different.

Basically but there are still some caveats IMO :-

1. Still uses a SD Card - so if you include (2) then anything that needs storage use (and cant use the extra 3gb in 4gb model)

2. Yes USB3 but it seems to imply ,in the test review, that the USB3 speed was not used to its full potential - unless I miss read it.

3. Has to have a heat sink and cooler else CPU throttled - not unexpected I guess.

Still a good price and love to see someone run Indi with USB CCD/Cmos and see what they experience in the real world .

Maybe others think different we shall see 🙂

Again as I say well done PI

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Think I will wait -  being in IT has taught me is never a good idea to be the first and you get the sugar coated sales pitch first and THEN the bad bits come out. Having said that hope its true and lives up to the hype.  No Emmc or SSD for example except via USB

IMHO Great product management by PI they have just blown away most of the opposition in one move - not hat the spec it great or better than the opposition but the base support is far superior to most other products in the same price range.

Note it is V8 CPU (as the PI3b+) so Ubuntu mate 18.04 need to get its act together for 64bit true V8 PI support - else its 32bit and 16.04 still for Indi - off the shelve images that is.

Perhaps Jasem can do a trade in. Plus Jasem ,IMO,needs to get all of Indi ,not just the server,working on std Raspberry Pi Desktop - and quick before the "other manaufactors" who will no doubt be bringing out their "replies".

Well done PI.

Ubuntu mate 18.04 works pretty well on my rpi...as Stellarmate is now based on 18.04.. :)

• Like 1