Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally Got Some Action!

cloudsweeper

I took advantage of 90 minutes' worth of clearish sky up to midnight  - poor transparency, full Moon risen, sky generally light anyway - under those conditions, GoTo (with the Celestron 8SE) is a great aid (aligned on Arcturus and Alphecca).  I only managed a couple of globs (M3, M5) - still fuzzy at higher mags (x254), then seeing spoiled the view.

So - not worth a detailed report, but it was great to be out there again, recognise some stars and constellations, and have the pleasure of finding and dwelling on a few celestial treasures!

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

I took advantage of 90 minutes' worth of clearish sky up to midnight  - poor transparency, full Moon risen, sky generally light anyway - under those conditions, GoTo (with the Celestron 8SE) is a great aid (aligned on Arcturus and Alphecca).  I only managed a couple of globs (M3, M5) - still fuzzy at higher mags (x254), then seeing spoiled the view.

So - not worth a detailed report, but it was great to be out there again, recognise some stars and constellations, and have the pleasure of finding and dwelling on a few celestial treasures!

Doug.

A bad night of astronomy is better than a good day of work! Unless your job is as an astronomer. Then your job rocks!

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Glad you got out, Doug. It's definitely a case of grabbing what you can at the moment. Nothing doing last night but Sunday was good. Had the frac and dob out. Got the GRS on Jupiter and Cassini Division on Saturn. M57, NGC 457 (Owl Cluster), Albireo, M11 (Wild Duck Cluster), Iota Cas and Izar. The double stars in the frac were really nice although I couldn't split Antares. Nice to get some planetary detail too. I am a little sad that I've not managed any time with Sagittarius so far this year. Plenty of time yet though.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, estwing said:

Well done Doug...my kits packed away until August. 

It's been shocking so far this summer hasn't it.

Thanks Calvin.  Yes, this hobby can be frustrating as well as immensely rewarding.  And I agree - roll on August/September.  But checking my records, I've had 45 outings this year, so it's not been so gloomy!

Doug.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Always good to get out there Doug, well done for persevering! I've actually not done too badly this year, but it really is pretty rubbish isn't it :(

Yeah Stu - could be better - while Mrs. Sweeper is watching soaps, I keep going to the window hoping for something worth going out for.  Restless astro-optimist or what!?

Doug.

• Haha 1

You were lucky to get out Doug - no luck here. I have my ED80 and Vixen Porta2 waiting as a grab 'n go in this kind of weather, as it is ready to go in a minute or so unlike my maks, and can give some glorious views.

This kind of weather is dangerous, as we all end up window shopping supplier websites!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

You were lucky to get out Doug - no luck here. I have my ED80 and Vixen Porta2 waiting as a grab 'n go in this kind of weather, as it is ready to go in a minute or so unlike my maks, and can give some glorious views.

This kind of weather is dangerous, as we all end up window shopping supplier websites!

Chris

Some of end up doing more than window shopping Chris (me especially) - if I was a conspiracy theorist I'd be sure that the UK astro-gear suppliers had some kind of high agreement with the weather gods to boost sales. Perhaps the weather gods are on commission or something.  Imagine the state of the UK astro kit world without bad weather!  I for one, get my astrofix by gear shopping.

Steve

• Like 2

Right now, 8.15pm, in NW England, the sky is totally blue with nothing in it but some lovely swifts.  Best it's been for a while.  After a few well-deserved beers, I might not take advantage, but I hope others will be able to get some observing in.  Have fun!

Doug

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 1

Just now, cloudsweeper said:

Right now, 8.15pm, in NW England, the sky is totally blue with nothing in it but some lovely swifts.  Best it's been for a while.  After a few well-deserved beers, I might not take advantage, but I hope others will be able to get some observing in!  Have fun!

Doug

Looks as though there's a fairly clear band across the western side of GB at the moment.  We're probably right on the edge of it.  The wrong edge, by the looks of it :(

Hard to call from sat24 how it's going to pan out later though.  There's a low pressure area between Scotland and Iceland that appears to be dragging more cloud across the Atlantic around towards us, but it may head northwards before getting this far.

My plan is to go out and open up the observatory roof shortly anyhow.

James

Ref Cloudsweeper:

Yeah Stu - could be better - while Mrs. Sweeper is watching soaps, I keep going to the window hoping for something worth going out for.  Restless astro-optimist or what!?

Given the standard of many of the TV offerings, even a plain grey sky can be more interesting.

David.

• Haha 2

Last year I put the scope away at the start of June as the evenings and light skies just seem to go on and on.  By the end of July I was really anxious to get back outside and when the time came I felt that my enthusiasm for the hobby had doubled.  So I'm doing the same this year.... And it's always good to read about the odd little sessions people manage to grab at this tricky time of year..

31 minutes ago, mark81 said:

Last year I put the scope away at the start of June as the evenings and light skies just seem to go on and on.  By the end of July I was really anxious to get back outside and when the time came I felt that my enthusiasm for the hobby had doubled.  So I'm doing the same this year.... And it's always good to read about the odd little sessions people manage to grab at this tricky time of year..

I've always kept going throughout the summer although often this is largely solar observing which I guess doesnt count! Just had a quick session with the Telementor on a couple of doubles and Jupiter. Keeps the interest going for me but it is slim pickings really. Can't wait for the dark nights and the Veil and NAN in Cygnus.

• Like 1

Like Stu, I observe all year round. I’m just in from a back garden session. Started with Jupiter and then went onto the Milky Way with the Equinox 80. M11 (Wild Ducks), M16 (Eagle Nebula), M17 (Omega/Swan Nebula), M24 (Sagittarius Star Cloud), M18, M8 (Lagoon Nebula) and M23. Then put an OIII filter into the dob and observed the Veil, North American Nebula, Crescent Nebula, M27 (Dumbbell Nebula) and M57 (Ring Nebula). 

One of the things I’ve learnt from the experienced deep sky observers on SGL is that repeat observations will help you to see more detail. Whilst the views aren’t optimal at the moment, it’s still enjoyable and is helping me build a mental image ready for the return of astronomical darkness. Plus you can’t beat observing Sagittarius on a warm evening wearing a t-shirt and shorts!

• Like 2