Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gassendi and Mersenius

Lurcher

I've done it again!. I've ended up being drawn to the same crater again without realizing it. Although the seeing conditions weren't great - it was still light when I started with bright skies, and some cloud, so I kept with a lower magnification of 88x.

My first attempt at a charcoal sketch for a while.

(Black, grey and white charcoal on black paper). - It does seem to have captured the mistiness of the seeing conditions quite nicely if nothing else.

ScanItem-015.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I'm pleased I scanned the sketch and saved it. I sprayed it with fixative afterwards, (well el cheapo hairspray), and ruined it! It's taken off all the more subtle charcoal. Pleased to have scanned it. Thanks for all your comments everyone. Clear skies all.

Hi Lurcher, This sketch has blown me away. You will be exhibiting soon.  It is on my list to try your pencil sketching technique and now I want to rush out and buy charcoals - inspirational work.  What type of paper do you use/where buy?  What type of charcoal - pencils or sticks? Any suggestions for suitable YouTube sites to illustrate how to sketch in charcoal. Did you do all of this at the eyepiece or finish it later.

I shall have to drop all my commitments to have a serious crack at these techniques - if only - life is way too short.

Many thanks for posting.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mike JW said:

What type of paper do you use/where buy?  What type of charcoal - pencils or sticks? Any suggestions for suitable YouTube sites to illustrate how to sketch in charcoal. Did you do all of this at the eyepiece or finish it later.

Hi Mike, Thanks for your message. Please do have a go. I look forward to seeing your sketches on here. My Daughter bought me a spiral bound A5 pad of black paper from a local art shop produced by "Landscape", but they're quite readily available from other art shops or on-line. At the moment I'm using a pack of 12 assorted charcoal sticks by "Jakar" but I'm finding them a little difficult to use as they're about the size of a cigarette so the mark on the paper isn't necessarily always where you think it's going to be. Especially in the dark. So I'm going to try and get some Derwent charcoal pencils.

I have seen some good sketching videos on Youtube in the past which include really good ideas on how to do deep sky objects which I've been meaning to watch again myself so if I or anybody else finds one we'll have to add a link.

All the drawing is done at the eyepiece, I just add the text later.

Thanks. Please do have a go. I love looking at other people's sketches, observing reports and drawings.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, des anderson said:

is there no limit with your talent.....

Hahhhaa! Thank you Des. Most people would say there's no beginning to it!

On 17/06/2019 at 07:37, acr_astro said:

(I think I have visited that area at least three times.)

Hi Achim. Thank you. I should have acknowledged that it was because I was looking at your brilliant sketches that made me think I really need to give charcoal another try. Not as confident as yours, but it was enjoyable to have another go, so thanks for posting your sketches; they're always so good to see. 👍

• Like 1

Hi, I have been out and bought charcoals, Derwent Pencils etc as you (Lurcher) suggested. I have spent an hour or so this afternoon sketching Gassendi from a photograph similar to my telescope view.

You should see the mess I am in - major clear up/wipe down required. Not sure I would do this at the telescope for fear of wrecking eyepieces with charcoal fingers but maybe I will. Might have to consider using Smart Phone and take a picture at the eyepiece to then sketch - I shall ponder the best approach. Been fun trying the technique - rather like the medium, apart from the mess.

Mike

267497849_Gassendichalk.thumb.jpg.1f6c66ee13f1abd7aa2caf235de7ab0a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike JW said:

I have spent an hour or so this afternoon sketching Gassendi from a photograph similar to my telescope view.

Hey well done. Well you have surpassed me already! That's a fantastic drawing. You've obviously gotten the hang of the charcoal immediately. It reminds me of Achim's brilliant drawings. @acr_astro

Yes I must admit my fingers were a little black after I finished. Give pencils a try at night. I personally think they're easier. I've also noticed that Achim has used grey paper in the past and that might cut down on the amount of charcoal it's necessary to use. (I just bought some yesterday so hoping to give it a try. Although I think I shall keep switching between pencils and charcoal).

But that is one cracking first go Mike. Or any go for that matter. Brilliant. I look forward to seeing more Mike!

• Thanks 1

Cheers, thanks for that. I keep going back to your sketch - it has an ethereal feel to it. I am always going to be up against it because I wish to be accurate. Grey paper - now that's a thought. Mike 

• Like 1