Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap ways to keep a dobsonian outside all the time?

Hi

i was wondering do people leave their dob outside all year round? I struggle moving it from the garage because of the weight and also steps plus a small door I have to try and get past. I was just wondering is there a solution where I can have it permanently set up or at least stored outside instead? I was hoping to not buy a shed or anything like that but maybe like a storage box of some sort? I saw there was a 24/7 cover would they work yearly? I would really like to find a solution because it’s stopping me from using the scope 

thanks 

• Like 1

Hi Ollie,

Maybe you can use something like this near to where you would normally set your telescope up, It would be small enough to keep on the boundaries of  your garden possibly between bushes or something so that it is not imposing your view of the garden.

It will provide all year round protection from the elements and you could look at running a low voltage heater at times of the year time to keep moisture down and protect it all. both the top and the front open up for ease of access when the time is right. The cost for this is around £100. 

undefined Image 0

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CypherK said:

Hi Ollie,

Maybe you can use something like this near to where you would normally set your telescope up, It would be small enough to keep on the boundaries of  your garden possibly between bushes or something so that it is not imposing your view of the garden.

It will provide all year round protection from the elements and you could look at running a low voltage heater at times of the year time to keep moisture down and protect it all. both the top and the front open up for ease of access when the time is right. The cost for this is around £100. 

undefined Image 0

Hi thanks will have to look at measurements but looks good I have seen these covers I was wondering if I would be safe using these https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telegizmos-telescope-covers/telegizmos-365-scope-cover-for-6-8-f5-dobsonians.html

Geoff

I have 10" collapsible, which is easy to store and transport

Out couple of times per month doing presentation primary schools, scout groups with my club

Olli has not mentioned what size dob he has

Interesting to find out

John  

Geoff

Mine is 250mm

You separate to move

Wonder if trying to lift as whole unit

Then awkward

You seen my new topic

NASA Mars Rover 2020

Contains link to register to have name  included on the rover

Have sent to my Joeys, Cubs, scout leaders

Edited by cletrac1922

8 hours ago, Scooot said:

Don’t know if this is justified but I’d be worried about a strong wind catching the telegizmo cover.

Yes, I would also be concerned about the scope being blown over in a gale.  Perhaps if you kept an eye on forecasts the scope could be stored in a shed etc on those occasions, so most of the time it would be ok outside.  

The issue of damp affecting the chipboard base is valid.  Perhaps the joints could be sealed with white mastic, or better would be to dismantle the base and seal the raw edges with PVA or similar, then the mastic after reassembly.

A shower cap each end of the optical tube, plus the dustcap would be good.

So with care, outside storage with a good quality cover could work ok.

Ed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Geoff

I have 10" collapsible, which is easy to store and transport

Out couple of times per month doing presentation primary schools, scout groups with my club

Olli has not mentioned what size dob he has

Interesting to find out

John  

Sorry  is a 8” dob and yes has a chipboard base I was going to put something underneath it or at least put it on our patio.

Edited by Olli

11 hours ago, Scooot said:

Don’t know if this is justified but I’d be worried about a strong wind catching the telegizmo cover.

I have a carry bag for the Ota so I think if I knew the weather was going to be really bad I would keep it in that and put it back in the garage 

• Like 1

If the Dob has a chip board or MDF base, like my 10” Skywatcher, I’d make sure that any solution that you choose is very well ventilated. These materials and long term damp, don’t mix well.

Separting the OTA from the base for carrying is a must for door, steps etc. Putting some handles on the OTA helps.

Re. Wind. Store it in the horizontal position and use tent guy ropes to hold it all in place???

Shed / cover - use a low garden storage box for the OTA and just carry the base (think that has a handy carrying handle and is more manageable than the tube). These often double as a handy bench. 😁

Paul

Hi Olli

my 10" flex has been stored in this garden tool shed (see avatar) for five years or so and is as good as new. I put a dob cover over it just to be safe.  Fitted with caster wheels, makes it easy to set up. 

10 hours ago, Olli said:

Sorry  is a 8” dob and yes has a chipboard base I was going to put something underneath it or at least put it on our patio.

Olli

Your Dob solid or flex

The pic I sent you was taken at a recent public viewing night on the foreshore with my club

In background is also an 8" flex dob with shroud

When out doing presentation school and scout groups, base and Dob sit on back seat of my SUV

Bit of rope from Dob to seat belt mount to stop rolling off the seat

I also use right angle spotting scope

Saves laying on ground when aligning   

I store mine in study, collapsed position

Respect to solar viewing

The hard plastic cover has an removable cap

The cap fits over the other detent for storage

Get some visual baader film, and cut a small square, and sticky to underside of hard plastic cover

Leave spotting off to avoid accidental viewing  

The attached pic was taken of solar eclipse several years ago, with my mobile phone held to eyepiece of my Dob, with the Baader film

Cheers

John

Solar Eclipse.jpg

12 hours ago, Paul73 said:

If the Dob has a chip board or MDF base, like my 10” Skywatcher, I’d make sure that any solution that you choose is very well ventilated. These materials and long term damp, don’t mix well.

Separting the OTA from the base for carrying is a must for door, steps etc. Putting some handles on the OTA helps.

Re. Wind. Store it in the horizontal position and use tent guy ropes to hold it all in place???

Shed / cover - use a low garden storage box for the OTA and just carry the base (think that has a handy carrying handle and is more manageable than the tube). These often double as a handy bench. 😁

Paul

I’m ok carrying as I have a bag for the ota the main problem I have is the base as I just find it heavy and awkward plus I have to struggle getting it through a small door then a step which doesn’t help so if I can find a way to maybe just store the base outside. I didn’t really think this through when I got the scope. Maybe I’m just a weakling 😁

Edited by Olli

Hi.have thought about sitting in on a waterbutt base.if you intend to leave your dob outside. Keeps base of damp grass. I've sent picture of mine.but I keep it in conservatory always.but I'd never leave outside. Hope this helps.20181024_200405.thumb.jpg.dce0511cfeeefa467f714a81e7940dec.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

Hi.have thought about sitting in on a waterbutt base.if you intend to leave your dob outside. Keeps base of damp grass. I've sent picture of mine.but I keep it in conservatory always.but I'd never leave outside. Hope this helps.20181024_200405.thumb.jpg.dce0511cfeeefa467f714a81e7940dec.jpg

I don’t want to hi jack this thread but can you tell me if your dob came with the motor drive or is it an upgrade ?

36 minutes ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

The motordrive was used on the focuser. But have since upgraded to a lecerta dual focuser. Which is a good upgrade. 

Regards 

Thanks for the info but I was more intrigued with the guiding system which I have not seen before. Was it a stock item or an upgrade kit ?

• Like 1

I made it myself. It's still manually moved in az/alt . but so much better than std .it's a joy to use and very precise also very smooth. I think someone in the USA makes a similar setup but it costs around £300.I believe. It cost me around £50 for everything. If you look on youtube and type in zlomotion dobsonion. You'll see it .but mine is more stable than that setup.

Regards 

Paul 

Edited by fiestazetecmk2
More detail
  • Like 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the explanation, you have certainly made an excellent job of the upgrade as it looks very professional.

Maybe you should go in to business making them 😀

Regards,

Maurice.

1 hour ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

I made it myself. It's still manually moved in az/alt . but so much better than std .it's a joy to use and very precise also very smooth. I think someone in the USA makes a similar setup but it costs around £300.I believe. It cost me around £50 for everything. If you look on youtube and type in zlomotion dobsonion. You'll see it .but mine is more stable than that setup.

Regards 

Paul