Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Markarian's Chain + Secret Deep

Yet another good transparent night and I promised myself whatever the time I would have a session on the delights of Virgo and Coma Berenices.

I set up the 12" Dob with its 80mm correct image finderscope and started with the Leo Triplets and NGC3628 was showing itself very well. I know from experience that the best place to start galaxy hunting in Virgo and the Markarian Chain is to go from star 6 in Coma B. This will give a start at M98 and M99 and whilst in the area M100. 

Moving to the M. Chain I used the 20mm Myraid which helps with the extra FOV to identify each galaxy whilst moving along the chain. So starting with M84 I was pleased to see the fainter galaxy NGC 4387 and moved along the line all the way to M88 and M91.

After this success I check out NGC4216 (Silver Streak) and NGC4168. I wanted to view NGC4565 (Needle Galaxy) which I think is one of the nicest edge on galaxies - I used the 13mm Ethos and 10mm Celestron Ultima Duo - incredible view. So whilst near Mel 111 I took in NGC4725, NGC4494 and NGC4559.

I have been following Steve O'Meara's Secret Deep since 2016 and I wanted to take in some of his objects in Virgo including the Quasar. So I was able to observe NGC4636, NGC4665, NGC4753 and finally the Quasar 3C 273.

Finally I took in M81 and M82 but one galaxy usually missed close to these Galaxies is NGC3077 which is also in the Secret Deep Book.

Well that took nearly 4 hours and I am glad that I was well wrapped up including an observing hood.

• Like 20

You packed alot into that session Mark, it was certainly a lovely night which I regret I missed out on. Great to read about though, so thanks for the report!

Great session Mark and a nice report too !

I do find these 20/21mm 100 degree eyepieces simply superb for galaxy spotting sessions with a dob. They show a good chunk of sky but also reasonably high magnification darkening the sky and helping those faint spots of light to jump out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Gerry you may already have this but this is what I used to find the Quasar last night.

Perfect!

Thanks Mark, I actually don't have that and these charts will give me a fighting chance to find it.

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:09, Mark at Beaufort said:

I know from experience that the best place to start galaxy hunting in Virgo and the Markarian Chain is to go from star 6 in Coma B. This will give a start at M98 and M99 and whilst in the area M100. 

Great report Mark, and I will keep star 6 in Coma B in mind.