Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar novice

I've been finding my way slowly around the constellations now for a couple of years, to some extent ☺, however with clear skies becoming rarer and when clear there is usually a bright moon, I'm taking more of an interest in our satellite; but surprisingly I know little of what to look for. Can you good folks give me some suggestions as to how to get the most out of moon viewing, please note I'm not into astrophotography.

Think my best scope might be my 127mm Mak but also looking for guidance on best set up, eyepieces, magnification etc

A while back, there was a freely downloadable pdf called Lunar Field Atlas, but the link no longer works.

Lunar Field Atlas II v2.01.pdf

Here's my copy, it's the inverted image version.

I also like Virtual Moon Atlas.

You can push the moon as far as the conditions and your setup will allow you.

I prefer to view a partial moon, rather than full, because the shadows allow you to draw out more detail.

4 minutes ago, bingevader said:

A while back, there was a freely downloadable pdf called Lunar Field Atlas, but the link no longer works.

Lunar Field Atlas II v2.01.pdf 133.83 MB · 0 downloads

Here's my copy, it's the inverted image version.

I also like Virtual Moon Atlas.

You can push the moon as far as the conditions and your setup will allow you.

I prefer to view a partial moon, rather than full, because the shadows allow you to draw out more detail.

Thanks so much Ben, have downloaded pdf to my tablet and will download virtual moon atlas to my laptop, great info

6 minutes ago, des anderson said:

There`s a Lunar 100 list on " Observing Lunar" by Doc, and that`s  a great read. Des

Thanks Des, that's a fabulous post, here's the link for anyone else

David

For Android devices, there is a very good App called LunarMap Lite

It is free

The pro version have to pay a one off initial download

Free one will give you everything that you will want

From Mares to Apollo landing sites

Now for a bit of fun

Taken from JPL/NASA International Night of the Moon URL

This years event will be on the 5th October, and NASA will update the URL, when get closer to the event

John

Northern Hemishpere Moon Map.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Moon Map.jpg

15 hours ago, DavidJM said:

I've been finding my way slowly around the constellations now for a couple of years, to some extent ☺, however with clear skies becoming rarer and when clear there is usually a bright moon, I'm taking more of an interest in our satellite; but surprisingly I know little of what to look for. Can you good folks give me some suggestions as to how to get the most out of moon viewing, please note I'm not into astrophotography.

Think my best scope might be my 127mm Mak but also looking for guidance on best set up, eyepieces, magnification etc

Well done and kudos on accepting the moon as a regularly viewable object, rather than a hindrance to your deep-sky viewing. The moon is arguably the most incredible and satisfying thing to view, in my opinion. It increases your “potential viewing times” considerably and offers far greater detail than anything else that is to be seen in the night sky. Full moons are no fun, but the terminator of a waxing/waning moon are a sight to behold.

The Philips Guide to the Moon is worth the money. Some decent maps and a day by day account of what is being revealed along the terminator.

I regularly image the Moon and it never disappoints for new details being revealed. It takes just over 18 years to complete the Saros cycle. This is where the orientation of the Moon due to its libration on NS and EW axis' caused by its rotation around the Earth presents the details in exactly the same position to our viewing.

The Mak 127 is a good lunar instrument.  Don't over power it. I have found for visual zoom EP is a good starter to establish what max power can be used on a particular evening due to seeing condition. Then you could swop to a dedicated ep that gives better contrast.

On 17/03/2019 at 12:59, DavidJM said:

Using a filter (I have a 13% transmission filter) will make viewing easier on the eyes.

Archived