Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR and lens recommendations? Now sorted.

Hi

I've a small budget available to upgrade my clinical camera.  Currently I'm using a Canon 400d, which is obviously very dated, but doesnt the job.

What would be the recommendation for a new DSLR camera and lens for £1000 (max)

I've a range of Canon lenses, so probably makes sense to stick to Canon body.

I was also thinking about the Samyang 85mm F1.4.

If it happens to be useful for astro purposes thats a bonus I guess.

Thanks in advance

Adam

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

A 5DIII or 7DII instantly spring to mind as a massive improvement on the 400D and both within the £1000. MPB. :)

If you need on camera flash then 7DII as the 5DIII does not have it.

7DII 1.6x crop factor, 5DIII Full Frame, might be a consideration for a lot of close work?

Best, Rich

Having always owned and used Canon equipment (since film cameras) I recently bought a Sony A7 (Mk I version, full-frame) plus a Samyang 24mm F2.8 autofocus FE lens for well less than a £1000 taking advantage of 'Black Friday' and Sony Cashback deals (the A7 worked out at  just £430, the lens at £230). I've already used the A7 on my ZS71 with some very pleasing results (although it really needs no moon!); I've also used it with the Samyang 24mm to try to take some Milky Way shots but it is just not dark enough around here. I've also used it extensively for day-to-day photography and I love it's size (although it is just slightly too big to fit in a coat pocket) and features.

Adrian

My attempt at M42 with the A7:

I have bought quite a few second-hand cameras and lenses and have never had any issues to speak of. There is actually an astro-modded Canon 550D on ABS-UK. I have one and it was a huge step up from my older 450D, and gets pretty good results with my  APM 80mm F/6 with focal reducer. I also have a (second-hand) 200mm F/2.8 L lens. The Samyang 135 F/2 is also highly recommended.

M42USM3expcropsat2curves.thumb.jpg.13932e16535b78ba0a86f3bc04665276.jpgM31-12362s-csc-32bits-crop-c-sat-c2.thumb.jpg.96c2466fa04337f98c19d602eabb7949.jpgHH_and_Flame_7200s-2-crop.thumb.jpg.ffd6570adae13bbc89212c0ad8c0dfe5.jpg

Thanks everyone for their input so far.  I think in this instance I need to buy new, and maybe non astro modded.

Since all my adapters and current lenses and ring flash are all Canon, it would certainly be easier to stick with Canon.

I'm thinking of using it for widefields, MW shots, comets, etc where my mono CCDs dont allow this.

These sort of examples?

https://store.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/MTEwNTc1NA_A_A?googlebase=1&country=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtvPjBRDPARIsAJfZz0pJSyHAZTPE8zBPMb5h0PG1QqQqd3Qe7OyfDUGASbgoJDO_5ISSDeYaAmCGEALw_wcB

https://store.digitalrev.com/product/canon-80d-digital-camera-dslr/MTEwNDYxNw_A_A

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

Having always owned and used Canon equipment (since film cameras) I recently bought a Sony A7 (Mk I version, full-frame) plus a Samyang 24mm F2.8 autofocus FE lens for well less than a £1000 taking advantage of 'Black Friday' and Sony Cashback deals (the A7 worked out at  just £430, the lens at £230). I've already used the A7 on my ZS71 with some very pleasing results (although it really needs no moon!); I've also used it with the Samyang 24mm to try to take some Milky Way shots but it is just not dark enough around here. I've also used it extensively for day-to-day photography and I love it's size (although it is just slightly too big to fit in a coat pocket) and features.

Adrian

My attempt at M42 with the A7:

My friend is a professional cameraman and photographer and he simply cannot think of any other cameras than Sony A7MKIII (expensive toy...), and he was Canon man Also! :)

His lenses are only Samyang, but he is not into Astro :( 
As he explained me, A7 model sensors are Full Head above Canon, plus Sony is Shutter-less (canon also has some Shutter less options, but sensors not even close to Sony)... 

However, there are some cons:

1) Sony is not weatherproof as Canon.... - as Dew comes in the morning, it may be the last morning ... unfortunately.

2) Astrosoftware is Very limited.

3) Limited amount of Lenses

Pros:

1) Sensor

2) Shutter-less

3) Cheaper lenses, -  Samyang  available.

41 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks everyone for their input so far.  I think in this instance I need to buy new, and maybe non astro modded.

Since all my adapters and current lenses and ring flash are all Canon, it would certainly be easier to stick with Canon.

I'm thinking of using it for widefields, MW shots, comets, etc where my mono CCDs dont allow this.

These sort of examples?

https://store.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/MTEwNTc1NA_A_A?googlebase=1&country=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtvPjBRDPARIsAJfZz0pJSyHAZTPE8zBPMb5h0PG1QqQqd3Qe7OyfDUGASbgoJDO_5ISSDeYaAmCGEALw_wcB

https://store.digitalrev.com/product/canon-80d-digital-camera-dslr/MTEwNDYxNw_A_A

I've never heard of this outfit before, but if they are legit' I'll be retiring the 7D a lot sooner than I thought possible. :)

30 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

If you are not a photographer and have one Canon already... Why do you need another one?

I would go for Cooled Astro cam + Canon Lens setup (for wide field), - leave Canon for fun, or sell.

Hi Roland

I need a DSLR for clinical photography to replace my 400d.

19 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

I've never heard of this outfit before, but if they are legit' I'll be retiring the 7D a lot sooner than I thought possible. :)

I've bought a cameras off them before, been around for 10+ years.

1 hour ago, RichM63 said:

Not heard of Kai W  and Lok, mind they don't work for Digitalrev now.

Digitalrev Hong Kong based.

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Is this still a real problem, I understand it is.

Based on my research it affects all the A7 models and there is a 'partial work around' which involves enabling continuous shutter mode when using exposures greater than 4 seconds; however csm is not available in bulb mode! Doh.

I didn't really buy the A7 specifically for astro work; if I can use it for AP that is a bonus, and it is always intersting to experiment with these things.

This makes a good read:

11 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

I have a 7dmk2 which I like a lot if that helps.

It's tough decision but you will get a good deal on the 80D.

Thanks ?? Best I can see is £633 which is £250 cheaper than the 7dii. That would allow me to get a lens too possibly. 

Archived