SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR and lens recommendations? Now sorted.

I still think Canon is the best option for AP with lenses for several reasons, you can use old M42 fit lenses and you can even use Nikon lenses with Canon body, the RAW file is also less likely to eat stars than some Nikon cameras due to their use of over processed RAWs. 

Software for AP is not much of an issue now with either Canon or Nikon but its virtually non existent for other makes so is an important factor.

Alan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

I was chatting to @Xiga and he is very positive on some of the Nikon range. Any suggestions?

And this - the Pentax K-1?

https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/pentax-k-1-camera-body.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAn4PkBRCDARIsAGHmH3eqjPdj4xQoE_0Ue70y8dPcrG6n82y3kLYcqGE8ecSKccRAtHWgM-8aAjSXEALw_wcB

Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing  

If it were me I would avoid the Pentax and Sony A7 range. They have truly amazing low-light sensors, but there's no easy way to control them via PC for Astro, and there's still the star-eater issue with the Sony's too.

I see you have all Canon glass. That pretty much rules out Nikon bodies i'm afraid. I'm no expert on lenses, but as far as i know there is no good way to mount EF lenses on a Nikon body. 

Pixel size should be considered carefully as well. I would try and avoid models with large pixels, as it will push your image scale up and you could end up with square stars. There's a reason why people are digging the Samyang 135 + 183 sensor combination for widefield work - the small 2.4um pixels in the 183 sensor are perfect for short focal lengths as it helps to keep under-sampling to a minimum. Unfortunately in the DSLR world, full Frame sensors don't tend to come with small pixels. The best one i can think of is the Nikon D800 which has 4.88um pixels. 

One option would be to sell the Sigma 105 and pick up a used D800 and a new Samyang 135 (this could just about be done on budget). Personally, for widefield I like the idea of putting the 135mm on a FF sensor rather than putting a 105mm on a (x1.6) crop sensor, but maybe that's just me ?

I guess it all depends on how many Canon lenses you own and how attached you are to them. 

Thanks HappyKat - i did see that, and was tempted, but I didnt want to message geordie until I was sure about the body I'm buying to avoid wasting his time.  Ciaran pointed out that Canon lenses cant be used on Nikon, and I knew this already.  But Nikon lenses can fit on Canon afaik.

9 hours ago, Xiga said:

If it were me I would avoid the Pentax and Sony A7 range. They have truly amazing low-light sensors, but there's no easy way to control them via PC for Astro, and there's still the star-eater issue with the Sony's too.

I see you have all Canon glass. That pretty much rules out Nikon bodies i'm afraid. I'm no expert on lenses, but as far as i know there is no good way to mount EF lenses on a Nikon body. 

Pixel size should be considered carefully as well. I would try and avoid models with large pixels, as it will push your image scale up and you could end up with square stars. There's a reason why people are digging the Samyang 135 + 183 sensor combination for widefield work - the small 2.4um pixels in the 183 sensor are perfect for short focal lengths as it helps to keep under-sampling to a minimum. Unfortunately in the DSLR world, full Frame sensors don't tend to come with small pixels. The best one i can think of is the Nikon D800 which has 4.88um pixels. 

One option would be to sell the Sigma 105 and pick up a used D800 and a new Samyang 135 (this could just about be done on budget). Personally, for widefield I like the idea of putting the 135mm on a FF sensor rather than putting a 105mm on a (x1.6) crop sensor, but maybe that's just me ?

I guess it all depends on how many Canon lenses you own and how attached you are to them. 

Thanks Ciaran.  I'm currently looking at MPB and they have two for sale at £749.  As i know nothing about Nikon used prices I'll have to look into this!

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

The D800e seems to have no AA filter, this is a better buy then?

All else being equal, then yes it is definitely preferable to not have the AA filter, as you will get slightly sharper results without it. I'm not sure if it's a deal-breaker though. Maybe someone else will know this, but if you eventually get the camera modified, I wonder if it would be possible to tell them to also take out the AA filter at the same time?

49 minutes ago, Xiga said:

All else being equal, then yes it is definitely preferable to not have the AA filter, as you will get slightly sharper results without it. I'm not sure if it's a deal-breaker though. Maybe someone else will know this, but if you eventually get the camera modified, I wonder if it would be possible to tell them to also take out the AA filter at the same time?

Ciaran it does seem that the AA is removed along with the LPF.  So I could go for the D800 and have filter removed, and end up with essentially a D800e.  There is a low shutter count (5k) D800e on MPB for £989.   The D800 is £200 cheaper (but with 25k shutter count) so that would offset the cost if I had the mod done.  Both can be hacked too.  But that is assuming the the D800E is exactly a D800 but without the AAF.

55 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Ciaran it does seem that the AA is removed along with the LPF.  So I could go for the D800 and have filter removed, and end up with essentially a D800e.  There is a low shutter count (5k) D800e on MPB for £989.   The D800 is £200 cheaper (but with 25k shutter count) so that would offset the cost if I had the mod done.  Both can be hacked too.  But that is assuming the the D800E is exactly a D800 but without the AAF.

It does look like they are the same camera but for the AA filter. In which case I would definitely go for the D800 and like you say put the savings towards the modification.

Have you looked on Wex Photo as well? I know they are good for 2nd hand cameras too.

7 minutes ago, Xiga said:

It does look like they are the same camera but for the AA filter. In which case I would definitely go for the D800 and like you say put the savings towards the modification.

Have you looked on Wex Photo as well? I know they are good for 2nd hand cameras too.

Thanks Ciaran, I havent tried them, I'll check it out when I finish up at work. 

2 hours ago, RichM63 said:

Clearly you will need that lens.

but why?????

I thought that you were aiming to upgrade your work camera, and yet now you can't fit your work 105mm lens! or any of your others.

Best of luck.

Clearly. Thanks for the ‘congrats on your purchase’ ??

Archived