SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR and lens recommendations? Now sorted.

3 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

I too had the same choice. Went with 7DII, it is a bigger body.

But if an 80D will allow you to get a lens as well, then why not. :)

Thing is I don’t really need a lens but I ‘have’ to spend the money or lose the funding. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to make that exact choice when the 80D came out over the 7D2 (I think they were within £50 of each other at the time) and picked the 80D, it has more or less all the features of the 7D2 but has better noise performance and has better AF on liveview and video. The flip out screen and ability to operate fully over wifi clinched the deal for me.

Alan 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Thing is I don’t really need a lens but I ‘have’ to spend the money or lose the funding. 

Of course you need a lens, you might not be sure about which one, but you definitely need it!

In your line of work I would think that the best 'Prime Macro Lens' that you can fit to budget, such as the 105mm 2.8 etc Sigma could be very handy. :)

A 10mm fisheye maybe not so good. (unless you have Cheshire Cats as clients). ;) 

1 minute ago, RichM63 said:

Of course you need a lens, you might not be sure about which one, but you definitely need it!

In your line of work I would think that the best 'Prime Macro Lens' that you can fit to budget, such as the 105mm 2.8 etc Sigma could be very handy. :)

A 10mm fisheye maybe not so good. (unless you have Cheshire Cats as clients). ;) 

lol I have a sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens and a 10-20mm lens so other suggestions welcome ?

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

lol I have a sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens and a 10-20mm lens so other suggestions welcome ?

A decent walk about lens is the 70-200mm f/4L it is also very affordable if buying used from places like MPB. It works well for astro too even wide open.

Alan

As you are choosing between two, is one full frame, do you have lens profiles for each lens you already have. Is vignetting a concern of you did have a full frame. Are the sensors different sizes would either be better or worse for any astro imaging you do. 

3 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

As you are choosing between two, is one full frame, do you have lens profiles for each lens you already have. Is vignetting a concern of you did have a full frame. Are the sensors different sizes would either be better or worse for any astro imaging you do. 

I think both are the same sensor size?

38 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Well, for taking pictures of "really horrible" teeth in live people's heads, I suggest the Sigma 150-600mm Sport lens.

It will allow you to 'park the clients' in the appropriate position and then,

take the picture from the luxury of the 'Next Surgery'!

Rich

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I think both are the same sensor size?

They are although the 80D has more MP, it normally should be a straightforward choice with a xD camera against a xxD but it isn't in this case, they both have particular strengths and similar overall capabilities.

The choice depends on which of these features are more important but both are good cameras.

Alan

2 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

Well, for taking pictures of "really horrible" teeth in live people's heads, I suggest the Sigma 150-600mm Sport lens.

It will allow you to 'park the clients' in the appropriate position and then,

take the picture from the luxury of the 'Next Surgery'!

Rich

I had to laugh at that, of course with the camera wifi you can use a normal lens and take the photos while lying on the beach :D

Alan

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

They are although the 80D has more MP, it normally should be a straightforward choice with a xD camera against a xxD but it isn't in this case, they both have particular strengths and similar overall capabilities.

The choice depends on which of these features are more important but both are good cameras.

Alan

I think the price different and similarities are swaying me towards the 80d (but is it wrong that I want the single digit 7d camera for no rational reason?)

Just now, Alien 13 said:

I had to laugh at that, of course with the camera wifi you can use a normal lens and take the photos while lying on the beach :D

Alan

So I could use the 80d on a SA mount and control it from my phone? I wonder does the 7d with the WiFi module do the same?

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

So I could use the 80d on a SA mount and control it from my phone? I wonder does the 7d with the WiFi module do the same?

He He, the SW AZ GTI would be a better option :D Not sure what the wi fi module does, I know some of the cheaper ones only allow for the transferring of image files but think there are some that allow full camera control with either the EOS utilities software or the Canon camera connect app on a smartphone/tablet.

Alan

8 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I think the price different and similarities are swaying me towards the 80d (but is it wrong that I want the single digit 7d camera for no rational reason?)

I still have the same thoughts about the 7D2 even now but have no regrets, might even pick one up cheap when the mark 3 comes out...

Alan

4 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I still have the same thoughts about the 7D2 even now but have no regrets, might even pick one up cheap when the mark 3 comes out...

Alan

Thanks Alan. I’m guessing a new one is imminent given the prices? 

48 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Dpreview compare

This is a quick summary compare.

Thanks happy-kat, thats a useful website.

Thats for the mark 1 7d though, so I've updated and added my other Canons for a comparison.  I've now added the Canon 6dii, is this a better option?

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos6dmkii&products=canon_eos7dii&products=canon_eos80d&products=canon_eos40d&products=canon_eos400d&sortDir=ascending

15 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks happy-kat, thats a useful website.

Thats for the mark 1 7d though, so I've updated and added my other Canons for a comparison.  I've now added the Canon 6dii, is this a better option?

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos6dmkii&products=canon_eos7dii&products=canon_eos80d&products=canon_eos40d&products=canon_eos400d&sortDir=ascending

I believe that the original 6D (which I have) is still available for around £1,000 (body only), a comparison carried out in one of the major photographic magazines didn't seem to think that the mark 2 was that big of an improvement for the considerable extra money.

John

11 minutes ago, johnturley said:

I believe that the original 6D (which I have) is still available for around £1,000 (body only), a comparison carried out in one of the major photographic magazines didn't seem to think that the mark 2 was that big of an improvement for the considerable extra money.

John

Thanks John, just pitching the idea out there.  I'm planning on pulling the trigger on one later today, so trying to finalise my thoughts.

2 hours ago, johnturley said:

John

Don't believe everything you read, the 6mark2 has a lot more than the original.

More mega pixels.
Swivel screen.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
45 all cross type AF
Touch screen
better processor
better ISO performance
higher frame rate.

The original price was a bit high but at just over £1300 now it's about right.

These cameras are a lot of money for us normal folks.

My take, I do not want to risk regrets, hence I have none, by going with single digit. (always in the back of my mind would be the nagging 'less digits = better' even if totally unfounded).

I would have, if I had double or triple digit.

Like most folk, I started with triple digit but then 'waited' until the single digit second hand prices came down to a happy to live-with level.

Anyhow; IMHO the 6DII although a fine camera, 'over-priced' should not be included in this comparison.

It is 'full frame' all others are 'APS-C'.

@Adam, beware, if you have a stock of EF-S lenses they will not physically attach to a Full Frame EF only body.

Whereas all your lenses will work on an APS-C body.

Rich

30 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

My take, I do not want to risk regrets, hence I have none, by going with single digit. (always in the back of my mind would be the nagging 'less digits = better' even if totally unfounded).

Like most folk, I started with triple digit but then 'waited' until the single digit second hand prices came down to a happy to live-with level.

Anyhow; IMHO the 6DII although a fine camera, 'over-priced' should not be included in this comparison.

@Adam, beware, if you have a stock of EF-S lenses they will not physically attach to a Full Frame EF only body.

Rich

That is my thoughts too Rich even if the outcome was different, I think the 80D was something of a proof of concept design in that it shares a lot of features with the latest flagship 1D camera like the on sensor processing and mirror actuation, it is also as far as I know the only ISO less camera in the range. It realy is a case of tried and trusted design of the 7D2 against the wacky 80D and me being a bit of an off the wall person chose the latter.

Alan

3 hours ago, RichM63 said:

Rich

Thanks Rich. The EFS mount has the little protruding bit out the back, is that why it doesn’t fit? (Although I’ve hacksawed it off a lens before to get it to fit with a clip filter). I really only intend to use the new camera with my 105mm lens and it’s compatible, but I’ll double check what other lenses I have in the cupboard.

I was chatting to @Xiga and he is very positive on some of the Nikon range. Any suggestions?

And this - the Pentax K-1?

https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/pentax-k-1-camera-body.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAn4PkBRCDARIsAGHmH3eqjPdj4xQoE_0Ue70y8dPcrG6n82y3kLYcqGE8ecSKccRAtHWgM-8aAjSXEALw_wcB

Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing  

I want to be able to use the DSLR to:

Shoot with lenses, 50-100mm, on a SA to do widefield imagine

Image comets using telescope - I can’t manage this with my mono camera

Take MW shots and aurora shots including foreground

Basically not for imaging connected to a scope most of the time, but with lenses. 

Archived