Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Robotic Observatories

groberts

I'm not giving up at home (Redhill, Surrey) but am tired of weeks of cloud cover and toying with the idea of  establishing equipment at a robotic obsy for astrophotography. 

At the moment I'm looking at IC Astronomy and e-EyE, both in southern Spain.  Wondered if anyone had any personal experience of either of these, or any others (in Europe) and could provide and thoughts / feedback - are they any good, service and, of course, the all important viewing conditions etc.

Not sure if this is the right place for this mods? If not please move.

Thanks, Graham

Oooh, I thought there'd be lots of rapid response to this one.  Perhaps because the early evening (here, at least) was clear-ish and without moon everyone else is busy.

The experience I have had is watching someone (very competent) trying to do this over the last year or so.  From this distance, it looks like quite a task to accomplish, and, as ever, setting it up first is one thing, keeping it going is another.  Lots of trips, and quite some frustrations.  However, I'm sure the final result will bear dividends.

So, for me, it would be great to have one, but actually, I think I'll stick with the rather few opportunities I have here in my own back garden and enjoy actually being there to sort out challenges as they occur.  Obviously, some people do this, and do it well.  I hope you're one of those!

Very best of luck.

Tony

The main drawback as far as I'm concerned is the considerable expense, not sure how much hands on support comes with it from the providers but I guess you have to be prepared for the occasional trips to sort stuff.

I have enough trouble getting it all to work when I'm standing by it :grin:

Dave

I'm an old school photographer and it was drummed into me as I did with my kids, if you don't compose, adjust and use your feet to take the image then it didn't count.

Now don't get me wrong, there are many beautiful images taken from remote observatories that I could never come within 1% of those people's night skies and abilities and the processing skills, but it isn't for me.

I was due to have major surgery in January (Yeah it was cancelled due to complications 5 minutes before the knife ? ) but my mate offered to host my kit at his place in Wales with beautiful dark skies and a very skilled Astrophotographer at the other end, but I declined even though it was nice of him to offer as it wouldn't count for me, even though clear nights are rare, I enjoy the setting up and planning and direct interaction.

Good luck with your plans, I hope it gives you what you are looking for.

Thanks so far for everyone's comments. 

Apart from cloud, I'm also unable to establish a permanent obys here at the moment  and this therefore seems a good option until I'm able to move, hopefully with dark skies and somewhere for an obsy.  Will await further input, hopefully from those already with a robotic - point noted Carole.

As to the authenticity of the robotic imaging - it seems to me that if it's my equipment, operated and processed by me, then the images are as valid (if that's the right term) as anything from my back garden - it's just a longer cable to the equipment! In the absence of an obsy at home + hopefully much better skies, this seems like a worthwhile addition to what I can do at home.  Obtaining subs from another obsy owned and operated by somebody else and sold commercially for processing are also OK but for me would not be as satisfying. 

It is clearly essential to have good on-site support and I would expect to make occasional trips but that's no hardship + part of the fun.  The expense is of course not insignificant but I need to spend the kids inheritance somehow (SKI-ing)!  Anyhow just in cogitation mode for now, which usually takes me a some time.  

Graham     

4 hours ago, groberts said:

As to the authenticity of the robotic imaging - it seems to me that if it's my equipment, operated and processed by me, then the images are as valid

I was only referring to my imaging status, not anyone else's, as everyone has their own enjoyment and derive their own pleasure, you asked for an opinion and I certainly woudln't want to dictate my personal thinking.

Hi. A good way is to visit an astronomy club (or even better, walk into a nearby bar and start asking) in the locations in which there are clear skies. Spain -especially to the south and east has loads and you'll soon be with the people with telescopes.

If you have decent gear and are willing to share with a member then he/she gets use of the same and you get clear nights. A TeamViewer or vnc (better ssh over Linux) link, a whatsapp voip between you and you're in business**. It works here and gives us the opportunity of handling gear we'd never be able to afford. The only downside is if your mate wants to image and you just want a quiet night... But hey!

** Oh, and also leave them with a decent laptop which you don't mind being changed into Spanish.

HTH.

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

I'm with Graham on this, if it's your equipment, operated by you then does it matter if it's at the end of your garden or at the end of an internet link?

If you have the money and are feeling brave

Deep Sky Chile

Or a group of say, 10 Astrophotographers, get together...£56.50/month. ...Share the data. It's a nice idea :)

Archived