SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Rosette Nebula (there's always room for more!)

MartinB

This has been captured over the past few weeks using my little widefield setup.  Hasn't it been a nightmare lately for those of us in the UK!!?  I got a dollop of Ha one night and then I have been slowly trying to gather OIII and SII data.  Getting a cloud free frame has been like panning for gold, and don't get me going on the moon!!

ASI 1600 pro with Baader 7nm filters and a Canon 200mm L @ F2.8 

30x5mins Ha, 7x5mins OIII (30+ subs jettisoned)  SII 20x5mins (20 subs jettisoned)

Captured with SGP, calibrated and combined with Maxim and processed in PS

So the lack of data shows but time to move on.  I like the field of view though.  Have included the Ha mono as well,  just wish I hadn't plonked it in the middle of the frame, I would have liked to show more of the faint stuff off to the right.

Rosette Ha Jan 2019.jpg

Rosette HST Jan + Feb 2019.jpg

• Like 33

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Well that was a lovely result in the end, even if the capture was a real pain.

Carole 

Thank you Carole?

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Lovely wide field and surprisingly deailed view of the Rosette.  Very sharp optics on the Canon lens too.

I agree that for this target there is always room for one more ?.

Thanks Barry, yes it's a very nice lens, good for full frame so it isn't over extended by the ASI 1600.  Focusing at F2.8 takes a bit of care but an old Bahtinov mask I had for a WO ZS66 fits it perfectly.

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice image Martin - I love the colours. May I ask the Ha/OIII/SII composition of the RGB channels? Is it simply SHO or is there more to it than that?

I am being very tempted by the ASI1600 Pro to use with my Samyang 135mm.

Adrian

Yes Adrian, it's a straight Hubble palette.  Most people seem to dislike any green and obliterate it but I like to leave some in the image since it is actually the colour assigned to the most dominant element,  I have attenuated it a little though!

35 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Very nice image. 

I like the colours too. 

At least you pointed out your realisation about the cloud drifting to the right so next time, or even others can attempt. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Dave. 

Thanks Dave!

• Thanks 1

This is very nice indeed despite the problems. Some lovely golden hues and excellent detail.

On 19/02/2019 at 15:55, MartinB said:

Getting a cloud free frame has been like panning for gold,

This i feel is where the 1600 is perfect for our sky conditions. I often set up my gear when conditions are poor. Cloud dodging has become a sport for me, with dozens of frames thrown out each session. I wouldn't have an image with a conventional ccd where 30 minute subs would routinely be rejected.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

This is very nice indeed despite the problems. Some lovely golden hues and excellent detail.

This i feel is where the 1600 is perfect for our sky conditions. I often set up my gear when conditions are poor. Cloud dodging has become a sport for me, with dozens of frames thrown out each session. I wouldn't have an image with a conventional ccd where 30 minute subs would routinely be rejected.  

Exactly!  It makes a huge difference.

• 5 months later...
On 19/02/2019 at 15:55, MartinB said:

ASI 1600 pro with Baader 7nm filters and a Canon 200mm L @ F2.8 

30x5mins Ha, 7x5mins OIII (30+ subs jettisoned)  SII 20x5mins (20 subs jettisoned)

Hi Martin,

I know this is a few months ago but I now own an ASI1600 and I am seriously considering buying the Canon 200mm (also for use with my 70D) and would be really interested to know the gain and offset you used on your 5 min subs.

So far I have been using the 1600 with either a Samyang 135mm or a WO-ZS71 with 139 gain and 56 offset but limiting exposure length to 2 mins in an attempt to get less wastage due to clouds.

No worries if you don't have the details.

Many thanks.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Type

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2019 at 16:20, Adreneline said:

Hi Martin,

I know this is a few months ago but I now own an ASI1600 and I am seriously considering buying the Canon 200mm (also for use with my 70D) and would be really interested to know the gain and offset you used on your 5 min subs.

So far I have been using the 1600 with either a Samyang 135mm or a WO-ZS71 with 139 gain and 56 offset but limiting exposure length to 2 mins in an attempt to get less wastage due to clouds.

No worries if you don't have the details.

Many thanks.

Adrian

Adrian, I've just checked.  Gain 150 and offset 40

• Thanks 1