NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Witch Head nebula with Samyang 135mm f2 lens

I always wanted to shoot this target but it's a no go from home.

Back in November I went to a darker location and I shot 8x600sec with a qhy10 but that wasn't even close to being enough. 2 weeks ago I went on another field trip and bagged another 40x300sec but this time with my canon 700d.

I will keep adding to this target on my field trips because I realy wanna make it look great.

Do you think that some Ha might bring some details in the surrounding nebulosity? I could try to do that from home.

LRM_EXPORT_102170025869305_20190205_081146568.thumb.jpeg.e63bac5af89f6a17588cac431a3257be.jpeg

Lovely image.  I am very jealous.

I'm trying to do the same with this object and Banard's Loop with the  Samyang 16mm and a QHY8pro.  

Did you find it easy to achieve the backfocus and get sharp enough stars ??  ....  I'm having problems. Assuming it to be 44-45mm as per regular Canon lenses, is the sweet spot just uber tricky to  get spot on due to it being a fast lens ??

Sean.

6 hours ago, Craney said:

Lovely image.  I am very jealous.

I'm trying to do the same with this object and Banard's Loop with the  Samyang 16mm and a QHY8pro.  

Did you find it easy to achieve the backfocus and get sharp enough stars ??  ....  I'm having problems. Assuming it to be 44-45mm as per regular Canon lenses, is the sweet spot just uber tricky to  get spot on due to it being a fast lens ??

Sean.

Thanks Sean.

It wasn't very easy to be honest. I used an altair ccd to eos adapter for hypercams but the m54 to T2 that came with it is way too big so I had to buy another m54 to T2 from TS optics. That got me very close but not close enough so I ended up shaving it with the grinder until I got it down to around 1mm in thickness. Using the IDAS LPS-D1 filter allowed me to go over the 44mm with 1/3 of the filter thickness and luckily the samyang 135mm lens is focusing a bit passed infinity. I used the bahtinov mask that I use on my TS65 to focus it. In the end it was all fine but it took me a while to make it work. 

Emil

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had a go at this but due to my location I have a very limited time to do it. I tried with the Samyang 135mm lens (love this lens) and took 41 subs only of 120 secs 800ISO. I couldn't see any trace of the nebula on the individual subs but this was the result of stacking in APP. I really struggled with the light pollution even with a UHC-E clip in filter. Nowhere near as good as yours but it encourages me to try again another time when I can start in the east.

Peter

WH Crop.jpg

The 135mm Samyang is best I think for this but light pollution is a big problem as it's so faint. I would have liked longer exposures than 120 secs but it would have washed the subs out. I was imaging over a road with LED lights and there are sodium lights on an estate not far away in the same direction.

Peter

12 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

The 135mm Samyang is best I think for this but light pollution is a big problem as it's so faint. I would have liked longer exposures than 120 secs but it would have washed the subs out. I was imaging over a road with LED lights and there are sodium lights on an estate not far away in the same direction.

Peter

Sounds like the perfect excuse for a holiday in La Palma to me! ;)

Archived