Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from South Yorkshire

Zaphod_B

Hello All

I got a small 2" Tasco refracting telescope (on an appaling alt-az tabletop tripod) when I was 7 years old along with HA Reys book "A New Way To See The Stars". I was hooked there & then!

That fascination has lasted for the last 43 years (although I pretty soon got VERY frustrated with the Tasco and its cr*p mount - even as a 7-year-old) but couldn't afford anything like a decent scope (or mount). In those days there was a only very limited selection AND they were very expensive!

I looked at Halley's comet back in '86 through binoculars as the telescope wasn't up to much and was rather disappointed by the faint smudge (oh to have seen Halley's Comet and the Great Daylight Comet in 1910)!

I still couldn't afford to upgrade the telescope. I used to get it out and bemoan the cr*p mount roughly once every 2 years and then we had a family and photography took over!

Recently (well this summer actually) we visited some family friends in Welsh Mountains. Their sky is really black. I was able to see the Milky Way for the first time in YEARS (the last time being from the Outback in Australia in 98). My friend is home-educating her eldest daughter and she asked what the bright object was low down in the South (she had been puzzling over that for a few weeks). I said that it was definitely a planet and it was possibly Saturn or (due to the brightness) more likely Jupiter. I said that it was a pity that I hadn't brought my binoculars as we could have had a better look. She had some pretty poor binoculars and sure enough it was Jupiter. I then said that I had a small telescope at home and that it would be even better through that, when she mentioned that she also had a small telescope. We got that out (she was right about the scope ) but we were able to see the faint pinpricks of the Galilean Satellites. That episode re-ignited my interest.

When we got back home, I started to peruse the internet & eBay and bought a copy of the "Sky at Night" magazine. I couldn't believe how much things had moved on! Affordable telescopes with GoTo computerized mounts. The Meade ETX caught my eye - specifically the ETX90 PE but at that point the £400 price tag put a new one beyond my reach.

I sold a few bits and bobs on eBay (my father's old Pentax K1000 SLR camera being one - a real classic camera but I'm a dedicated Canon fan) and suddenly could afford a couple of hundred pounds. I bought a second-hand Celestron 130 SLT computerized GoTo scope and was both rewarded and disappointed at the same time. The views of Jupiter were good despite its low altitude and the Moon was spectacular, but I couldn't get the GoTo to work properly (it turned out it was faulty - the altitude drive is either very loose or there is a problem with the motor or gearing) and I got my money back.

Back to eBay and the forums looking for second-hand or new gear.

Now I'm waiting to pick up an ETX with associated bits & pieces. I don't know if I'll outgrow my new equipment soon, but at the moment, I simply want an easy to set up, small & portable "grab and go" telescope but I'll maybe start saving up for when I retire and then "supersize it".

Quite frustrated (like most on here I suspect) at the recent appaling weather. I wonder if we'll get the glorious Autumn/Winter skies anytime soon?

If you've read this far either you're probably bored by now (or have even dozed off), so I'll close for now.

Dark Skies everyone (and soon)!

Zaph

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Zaph, welcome to SGL. You'll be able to get lots of advice here about which scope to get hold of. Good luck.

Allan

Hi Allan

Thanks for that. I've been a lurker for a few days now. I've sorted out an ETX105 and will get to play with it shortly.

I was looking at the NexStar 4SE/5SE/6SE and was hoping to get hold of one of the latter but it seems it was not to be (sadly).

How do you find the 4SE. Do you use it for the kind of things that I want to do - observation of the planets, Moon, Sun and a few DSO's like M31 and M42. Also want to try my hand at astrophotography (but I know that the ETX isn't probably the best thing to do that - but I can't afford a decent GoTo GEM at the moment).

Zaph

Hi Zaphod,

Warm welcome to SGL :help: .....I started out with the cr*ppy Tasco too....In fact my story is quite similar to yours.....Good luck with your new 'scope - I suppose that means clouds for the rest of us :D !

Stef

BTW. Love the Douglas Adams reference!

Hi and welcome to SGL, Zaph, i know how you feel, I had a 3" tasco was awful lol,

Then i could afford a bigger one, i was thinking of a 12" dob but for portability i chose the Meade ETX125 PE GOTO which is amazing :D the optics are second to none, plus you can put it on your window sill :help:

It comes with a 26mm EP and a tripod carrycase plus connectors for your pc and everything,

Some1 very wise once told be the scope you use the most will be the best one for you, Now imagine lugging a 10" or a 12" out your door every night :lol:

Just food for thought.

Welcome.

Dave.

... Someone very wise once told be the scope you use the most will be the best one for you, Now imagine lugging a 10" or a 12" out your door every night :D

... Welcome.

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

Yes I'd heard that too which is why I think I will be quite happy with the ETX105 (when I get my paws on it that is)!

Zaphod

BTW Do I discern that you are a Douglas Adams fan too?

... Someone very wise once told be the scope you use the most will be the best one for you, Now imagine lugging a 10" or a 12" out your door every night :help:

... Welcome.

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

Yes I'd heard that too which is why I think I will be quite happy with the ETX105 (when I get my paws on it that is)!

Zaphod

BTW Do I discern that you are a Douglas Adams fan too?

Too true :D i am a huge Hitchikers guide fan! I have read the books about a 20 times each, and each time u figure out something different about the story. fantastic.

Good to meet another fan :mrgreen:

Dave.

Archived