NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Has anyone seen the new ES 82 LER Eyepieces?

Alan White

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

Extensive chatter as always on CN, but only one person who has imported one to the US.

Which begs the question why no one in Europe has bought one since they're local to y'all.  I would have thought you'd beat us Yankees to it.

5 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Because the first time I saw them listed anywhere was Tuesday, th day I posted the thread @Louis D

You was meant in the collective, all of Europe, you (as in y'all).

8 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I am not looking for any EP at the minute, was window shopping.

It appears Dave Bush was just curious enough to buy one.  I'm pretty well covered at those focal lengths by Morpheus, Delos, XW, XL, and SW Zoom eyepieces that I have zero curiosity about them.  I'm still waiting for the 22mm-25mm ES-92 to be announced.  I'm more than ready to replace my 22mm NT4.

On 29/01/2019 at 20:30, Alan White said:

15mm inter pupils distance, is that eyerelief to the rest of us?

Nope, for me, that would be the distance between pupils!

Usually called the inter pupillary distance.

15mm would put your eyes rather close together! :D

I was able to retrieve the original webpages via Google caching, but you can't put the eyepieces in your shopping cart from the defunct pages.  Looks like Dave Bush will be the sole owner of one of these eyepieces for a while now.

Here's an explanation from Dave Bush on CN about the disappearance:

Well, this is interesting.   I just received an email from ES stating the following...

Recall

After receiving some negative feedback on the imaging performance of the new LER 82°,

we unfortunately noticed serious problems with the imaging performance.

Extensive random checks of the batch confirmed this suspicion.

For this reason we ask you to send all eyepieces of the 82° LER series back to us.

You will receive a credit note immediately.

Now, I've not had a chance to test my 8.5mm but I'm hoping to give it a shot tonight.  Depending on how it performs I may take advantage of their recall.

I wonder if they will be reimbursing all import duties in both directions as well as shipping charges.  Do they then apply to the respective governments for reimbursement of the duties collected?

22 hours ago, bingevader said:

Nope, for me, that would be the distance between pupils!

Very strange, I only use one pupil at a time with my eyepieces ?

Edited by Pig

It looks like first batch is seriously flawed (hence recall).

TS in Germany has them listed now - but not yet available - expected to be in stock within 3 days - I wonder if those will be "proper" ones - or ones that are recalled.

I reciently ordered a new telescope and an es 18mm 82 degree eyepiece with it and it's amazing from the build quality to the big view it gives with perfect optical clearity.  I'm also getting the 30mm version in a few days.  I use them on a es 102ar I just orderd.   I definitely don't think such a fancy wide fov eyepiece is necessary and am only very fonf of the Orion ef line with has a very wide fov with great build quality at a fraction of the cost. 

IMG-20190201-175005.jpg
IMG-20190202-145723.jpg
IMG-20190201-181240.jpg
IMG-20190201-174348.jpg
IMG-20190201-174420.jpg
IMG-20190201-174506.jpg
IMG-20190201-191202.jpg
IMG-20190201-191208.jpg
IMG-20190201-174631.jpg
IMG-20190201-191213.jpg
IMG-20190201-174704.jpg
IMG-20190204-164721.jpg
IMG-20190201-191157.jpg

Edited by DS24
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DS24 said:

I reciently ordered a new telescope and an es 28mm 82 degree eyepiece with it and it's amazing from the build quality to the big view it gives with perfect optical clearity.  I'm also getting the 30mm version in a few days.

You're getting a 30mm ES-82 in addition to the 28mm WO/Nirvana 82 degree eyepiece?  Did you mean 18mm ES-82 since that is what is shown in your photos?

On 01/02/2019 at 10:49, Louis D said:

Here's an explanation from Dave Bush on CN about the disappearance:

Well, this is interesting.   I just received an email from ES stating the following...

Recall

After receiving some negative feedback on the imaging performance of the new LER 82°,

we unfortunately noticed serious problems with the imaging performance.

Extensive random checks of the batch confirmed this suspicion.

For this reason we ask you to send all eyepieces of the 82° LER series back to us.

You will receive a credit note immediately.

Now, I've not had a chance to test my 8.5mm but I'm hoping to give it a shot tonight.  Depending on how it performs I may take advantage of their recall.

I wonder if they will be reimbursing all import duties in both directions as well as shipping charges.  Do they then apply to the respective governments for reimbursement of the duties collected?

Latest from Dave Bush on CN:

*** Reply from ES..

“We will refund the purchase amount including shipping costs completely.
Additionally we ask you to destroy and dispose the eyepiece afterwards. The effort to send it back is unfortunately too high.
We will send you a confirmation about the credit note by email promptly and ask you to excuse the circumstances.
Explore Scientific will inform you if there are any news”

I suspected they'd realize reverse importing them back into the EU would be a complete taxation/tariffs/shipping costs quagmire.  Literally nothing I've cross imported into the US from Canada, Australia, or the EU has ever had any sort of sales tax or import tariff applied to it.  I'm sure the reverse would not be true to any of these countries from the US, though, even for a return.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DS24 said:

IMG-20190201-174506.jpg

Thanks DS24, but that's not one of the new ones, its the existing 82 degree line.
The ones I posted about are / were Longer Eye Relied LER version, but now withdrawn by ES.

ES kit is normally very good, so something quite notable has gone astray.

Never heard of ler ones maybe  they were trying to make those for another country only. It doesn't make sense because based on those numbers on a previous post if those were for the long eye relief line it seems that this line has better eye relief