Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great first experience

MaHa

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this only today, so apologies if my post is in the wrong place or something! 

I just wanted to share my first successful experience in astronomy this evening. Having owned a small telescope for a couple of years now (skywatcher Heritage 130p) and not really having much success at finding my targets - I decided to buy a pair of binoculars. I opted for the Olympus dps 1 10x50's.

I've absolutely had more enjoyment tonight in 20 minutes, than in the past two years combined! I observed the Pleiades, the reflection nebula M78, Uranus and the ghostly smear of light that was the Andromeda galaxy from my back garden. All this was made much simpler using a great app I downloaded! 

I'm certain it's kickstarted a new passion for me, and I'm loving the ease of use and simplicity of using binoculars and two eyes for observations, rather than squinting and straining into an eyepiece and not being able to find anything! 

I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone and taking any advice that's on offer. 

Cheers, Mark. 

Hello Mark and a warm welcome to the SGL. Many of us started out in astronomy using binoculars. It’s a great way to learn the night sky. After a bit of time many decide that thy want a closer look at their favourite objects and that’s when they move on to use telescopes. The main thing is to enjoy yourself and from your post it is obvious you are having a ball.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice one Mark. Binoculars can be a great way to learn the sky, and even after many years successfully using a scope, they can still be the most relaxing way to observe in many ways.

Thanks Stu, I really did enjoy the relaxed element of it all with my binoculars. 

6 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Hello Mark and a warm welcome to the SGL. Many of us started out in astronomy using binoculars. It’s a great way to learn the night sky. After a bit of time many decide that thy want a closer look at their favourite objects and that’s when they move on to use telescopes. The main thing is to enjoy yourself and from your post it is obvious you are having a ball.

Thank you laudropb, I have to work tonight unfortunately so my session was cut short, but already looking forward to the next clear night! ?

3 hours ago, Taz777 said:

Hi Mark, I'm very heartened by your post! My binoculars arrive tomorrow and now I can't wait.

That's great Taz777, I hope you enjoy them as much as I've started enjoying mine. Look forward to hearing how you are getting on ?

I'm fortunate enough to have pretty clear skies on the outskirts of Edinburgh just now, so I took the opportunity to nip outside again tonight and have a look at M42 through the Olympus 10x50's, using the wall as a support. I quickly glimpsed the Pleiades again as well before a few whispy clouds obscured my view. 

Really great views, wish I'd done this years ago! So much so that I decided to order the 8x40's of the same binocular to keep in my car ?

Welcome to the SGL! I also love using bins and spent a lot of time staring at Jupiter and its moons with them before I ever got a scope. If you aren't already, I would advise that you get a cheap tripod to put the bins on. Will make the viewing experience even better. 

10 minutes ago, SacRiker said:

Welcome to the SGL! I also love using bins and spent a lot of time staring at Jupiter and its moons with them before I ever got a scope. If you aren't already, I would advise that you get a cheap tripod to put the bins on. Will make the viewing experience even better. 

Hi SacRiker, I already own a pretty decent tripod for my dslr, so I've ordered an adapter to fit my binoculars online. Looking forward to giving it a go with a more steady image! ?

5 hours ago, bish said:

Well done. I wouldn’t be without my bins. They get used more than my scope and I always take a pair on holiday if I am going to be away from cities.  

Thanks bish, I definitely find using two eyes far less stressful than just one. It's a more enjoyable way to spend time. 

23 hours ago, SacRiker said:

A while ago, was doing a presentation for a primary school, with club belong to

When observing Jupiter, suddenly notice a blip appear top of Jupiter

Sang out to one of my club mates

Check this out

We watched a moon rise from behind Jupiter

Amazing experience

Kids were putting their mobile devices to eyepiece of my 10" dob, and capturing an image

8 hours ago, Aldebaran5 said:

welcome to the SGL, I just go out and observe without any optical aids. Its the best way to learn the night sky.

keith

Thanks Aldebaran5, nice way to do it. ?

Archived