SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen HR's VX10

jetstream

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Sadly not! I used the 5mm LE with my FS128. I sold the eyepiece very soon after buying it as the ghost image of the Moon irritated me so much. I enjoyed using the Hi LE's with the FS128 and bought a second 3.6mm after selling the first, for use with my FC100DC. The second 3.6mm Hi LE also had ghosting, though not as strong as the 5mm LE.I've since sold that too!

May be I'm just not well suited to the LE, as after buying the 30mm for use with my FC, I found the eye lens situated too far down the barrel for comfort. Then there was the rubber eye cup that also restricted the view even further.  The 30mm soon got the elbow after my friends 32mm volcanoe top erfle knocked the socks of the Tak 30LE with regards to both comfort and edge correction. As a consequence I'm a little cautious about Takahashi's reputation for great eyepieces. 

I could be wrong, but I am under the impression the LE design is a pseudo Masuyama, the same as Celestron Ultima's, Orion Ultrascopic's, Parks Gold and Baader Eudiascopics. All of the latter I value highly and have not as yet noticed any ghost images, so what's different about the LE I have no idea? I wait to be educated by those who know better than I! :icon_biggrin:

I was very pleased with the views of the LE 5mm and the FC100DC on Jupiter and Saturn. Though I can be pleased easily if the skies are clear and I'm gazing the heavens ?

The design of the LE seems to be the as the Pseudo Masuyama according to Starman1 as well:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/452491-celestron-ultima/

So, the difference with these eyepieces might be in the build quality?

I would love to try the 32mm Volcano someday.

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

That one still shows as available??

Refresh your browser. It’s not showing for me. The Celestron Zoom is showing as most expensive and Vixen is greyed out on the left :).

Just sat here reading my Collins - Moongazing; Beginner’s Guide To Exploring The Moon in readiness :)  

A basic primer but for £5 will get me going. 

B6C83574-CCF1-41C0-ACEB-EFB39A5C4EB9.png

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Still up on the Bay of Fleas with a Buy it Now?

Ah I see - probably just not took it down from there yet :).  Hopefully there won't be a mix up but hey, if there is there are plenty more eyepices in the sea (typo to make pun work :D )

The HR are great little eyepieces, but I tend to prefer my barlowed Zeiss zoom to them. Just a larger fov and more comfort to my eye really. 

The HR are superb and if one likes orthoscopic EPs, the HR deserve a try.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Still up on the Bay of Fleas with a Buy it Now?

Well I’ve had shipping confirmation now with an RM tracking number so hopefully it’ll be here for the weekend and the nights will be clear. :)

Still on eBay but they are away. £20 cheaper direct from the website. 

22 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Well I’ve had shipping confirmation now with an RM tracking number so hopefully it’ll be here for the weekend and the nights will be clear. :)

Still on eBay but they are away. £20 cheaper direct from the website. 

That's great! Just received mine :)

20190214_125530.jpg

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's great! Just received mine :)

20190214_125530.jpg

Very nice. Can’t wait for mine to turn up. Weather looking like it might be good for a session tonight so going to get thoroughly used the the TMB so I can make some decent notes on the EP when it arrives. 

7 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Very nice. Can’t wait for mine to turn up. Weather looking like it might be good for a session tonight so going to get thoroughly used the the TMB so I can make some decent notes on the EP when it arrives. 

Given the date, I'm grounded!!! ??

Should be fab in your scope, I'm just hoping it is not too much in mine.

What would be some challenging test targets for these eyepieces ?

Mars and Uranus are about, but small. Fine detail on the Moon. Some tight, unequal brightness doubles plus Sirius I guess are the obvious ones.

Some small planetary nebulae perhaps ?

What are the comparison eyepieces going to be ?

Looking forward to the feedback on these :icon_biggrin:

1 minute ago, John said:

What would be some challenging test targets for these eyepieces ?

Mars and Uranus are about, but small. Fine detail on the Moon. Some tight, unequal brightness doubles plus Sirius I guess are the obvious ones.

Some small planetary nebulae perhaps ?

What are the comparison eyepieces going to be ?

Looking forward to the feedback on these :icon_biggrin:

I have a Vixen 2.5mm LV which will make a good comparison. I guess I could try the nag zoom, and maybe a barlowed 5mm BGO.

Lunar targets I guess, plus some tight doubles.

7 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Give me some suggestions of tight doubles as someone that has never split any at all and I’ll happily feed back :)

With your 105mm try for 32 and 52 Orionis. 32 is pretty tight but 52 is tighter still !

Archived