Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

recommend me a de humifier for my obsy

iwols

Hahaha that's the link I was searching for myself ? like others have said in your other mold thread, it may work to just use a fan to circulate the air but a dehumid not only circulates the air it dries it too which also helps protect the life span of all your timber and electronics. Same link I think but this the one I got too on Dave's recommendation ?

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/nav/fts/dehumidifer/fts/brd/ecoair?tduid=d8670aee0878306abf1cc6efe4486b17&utm_source=VigLink+UK_1736887&utm_medium=tradedoubler

2 hours ago, iwols said:

thanks guy is dessicant better than compressor type

The compressor type are a little cheaper to buy but only work effectively down to about 10º

The dessicant type work down to about 1 - 2 º and are cheaper to run and much lighter to carry about.

Just be aware that either type if set to run to a continuous drain - if its below zero º the outlet pipe will freeze and stop it working.

18 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Just be aware that either type if set to run to a continuous drain - if its below zero º the outlet pipe will freeze and stop it working.

Absolutley, be also mindful that at 0deg and below there is no humidity so remember to just turn it off ?

thanks just had my delonghi on all afternoon ,been out and not a drop of water in tank,thats after ive just cleaned the roof ,either the dehumid is not working or its too cold in the obsy,not sure which is which?? its 5.5c inside

Depends on if its a compressor type ? as Billy mentioned they are not much good in cold conditions, it barely reached 6deg all day up here in East Yorkshire.

Also, your mould has built up over a period of drastically changing humidity levels of late so just because there is no water in the tank this afternoon isnt to much concern.

Any moisture in the timbers or building would need a few days to extract if your dehumid is working efficiently, but again this removal of moisture can only help

in reducing the environment for further mould growth. Its a six or two threes scenario really, try a fan like others said and get the air moving. You will still need to rid

the surfaces of any spores but thats a given. See how air movement works for your obsy. Get yourself a fleebay humidity/temp display to see if levels drop with the

fan. If not and more mould returns then i would say a dehuimd is the only alternative left ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As this thread is still going I'll jump in and say that you are much better off just circulating air through the obsy than using a dehumidifier. A fan seems like the best bet. Unless your obsy is very well sealed I doubt you will reduce humidity that much. Mold on equipment is mostly due to dew collecting while in use and then sitting on the equipment after you close the obsy down as opposed to a ongoing issue.

i have a ebac 2650e in the house for 10  years now , thats quiet on a low setting and has an eco setting can continuous drain or use the inbuilt tank which i do holds about 3litres , broke once under warranty 5yr repaired no problem been fine since and if it broke tomorrow i would replace it with an ebac .

My obsy has floor vents to create air flow as well as sits 200mm off the ground. As I have a dome it naturally sweats and creates moisture. My dehumid keeps it at 45% and costs next to nothing to run so in my situation it is the answer, this fantastic machine also ensures all my optics and electrics are never sat in concerning levels of moisture so each and everyone's situation is different so to say it's not the answer is only confusing the op. Like others have said, try a fan first but a very useful aid to the area concerned is a humidity gauge as this will ensure accurate measurement of the moisture levels and any drop with added air flow. Many factors are to consider for sure, i thought by adding vents to my obsy it would sort it, even a fan didnt help my situation but when a few fellow members here put me onto the dehumid route i havent looked back. I certainly hope a fan will help your mold issue as there is one thing I have learnt while building my obsy and that's there is always something else to buy lol good luck with which ever route you take. 

Clear skies.

1 hour ago, Owmuchonomy said:

A dehumidifier is not the answer.

I think you mean not “my” answer rather than not “the” answer.  I tried simple ventilation, both natural and forced, and the inside of my dome still dripped condensation in winter.  I then put in a desiccant dehumidifier and it absolutely nailed the problem.  My dome is certainly not well sealed, yet the 2 litre catch tank will go for a week before it needs emptying, so it is not working that hard.  So for me, it WAS the answer, and I reckon it would suit the OP too.

Bottom line is, try stuff out and then go with what works for you.

1 hour ago, Hallingskies said:

Bottom line is, try stuff out and then go with what works for you.

Sounds like we had the same problem Hallingskies ? i too couldnt believe how brilliantly a dehumid worked. The one thing I love the most is knowing all my tech gear is safe from moisture even when it can't be seen, even the timber that makes up the warm room of my obsy will have better longevity in a less damp enviroment which being outside and having wall cavities etc is a certainty, and where there are cavities there is trapped air and that pretty much means a place for mould to grow in my opinion.  I do hope just a fan works for the op as im sure it does for others here but for me it was the added knowledge of removing the moisture that really hit home as I leave all my gear, scopes,ccd's,ep's, tv's and pc in there 24/7 ?

That said I do believe the OP has a ROR obsy so we have a slightly different issue with fibreglass but mould is mould so finding the right solution for your needs is a must as if nothing else, protecting the obsy is everything ?

12 hours ago, LeeRich said:

That said I do believe the OP has a ROR obsy so we have a slightly different issue with fibreglass but mould is mould so finding the right solution for your needs is a must as if nothing else, protecting the obsy is everything ?

I agree that a ROR observatory is a different beast.  Timber-based buildings will probably be a lot less likely to be condensation magnets because of the inherent insulative and breathability (are they real words?) properties.  That said, I get condensation on stuff in my garden shed - maybe I need to improve the ventilation!

My wee hut is timber but lined with vapour barrier. It has forced ventilation - two vents knee high on one side and two at high level on the other side with PC cooling fans that run 24/7 - its very dry.

BUT

I also run a dessicant dehumidifier but I tend to only use it after a session.

EG last night it started raining - by the time I had parked it and shut the roof everything was wet - then it cleared so I carried on then it snowed and I packed up. I ran the dehumidifier for 4 hours and everything was bone dry by this morning.

• 3 weeks later...

They are a little beast arent they ?

After a long session in my obsy the FG walls are all but dripping but once packed up and shut down the dehumid goes on and in litteraly 20mins the whole dome is dry. It gets 99RH down to 60RH in just over an hour on full blast (300watts) I then switch to tick over and check it in the morn to turn it off. I run mine about once a week or so inbetween observing sessions just to help keep RH to around 50, a good level for electronics to live it.... in my opinion of course ?

Glad you got sorted iwols. 

Clear skies and drier walls lol

Archived