Hello from Finland!

AstroFin

Terve!

I've been reading the forum for quite some time, so I decided it was finally time to sign up and introduce myself. ? 

I'm an engineering student in my twenties and a very keen amateur astronomer based in Tampere, Finland. The observing conditions here are somewhat challenging, on summer nights only the brightest objects (Moon, the Planets) can be seen and during the winter the temperature can drop to -25 degrees Celsius. On the other hand, Northern Lights can be seen (and imaged!) fairly often even here in the southern part of the country and darker skies are not a very long drive away. 

I'm mostly a visual observer, however I like doing some DSLR astrophotography as well. My current astro-equipment consists of a Celestron C8, few quality eyepieces and Canon IS binoculars.  

I really like the Lounge and the atmosphere of genuine friendliness you guys have here. Attached below is a picture I took in early November of the Northern Lights above the skyline of my home town! ? 

Clear skies and a happy new year from snowy Finland,

Tomi

Revontulet_Tampere1.jpg

Hi Astrofin

Nice shot of the aurora.  l've seen a few good displays from here in Ireland,  totally breathtaking. 

I prefer the visual side of astronomy too,  capturing those long travelled photons with the eye does give me pause for thought ( It's actually quite difficult to express it in words ). 

Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived