NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) Star Party 2019

Freff

3 hours ago, mdstuart said:

Just back from an enjoyable time at the swag astro party.

As always I was made very welcome and caught up with some friends.

We enjoyed touring the skies with my little 127mak. We looked at doubles for Nick and then a few galaxies including NGC 2903 and NGC 4465.

Today I walked up to the Brecons. It was further than I expected but the views, the skylarks and birds of prey were amazing.

IMG_20190309_125324.thumb.jpg.a96d811f3b8493a408e94c3269b72f48.jpg

Thank you Freff for organising it.

Mark (the galaxy hunter)....and sometimes other stuff.

Mark

Looks amazing up there, drive past a few times each week and keep wanting to climb up :)

Thanks to Tony for arranging another SWAG astro event. It was good to catch up with everyone again.  The weather was a bit disappointing so not as much "star" as we would have liked. 

Hope to see you all at the next one.

Mick & Jill.

A first visit to Pencelli for me. What a great location. The 30mins of clear sky (midnight Fri/Sat) showed that this could be a great observing location.

Catching up with a few old faces and meeting some new, made the trip for me.

Discovering a friendly pub 5 mins walk away was a bonus. I’m so so glad that I resisted the vodka.....

Many thanks to Tony for organising.

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Shame about the weather, but great to get together again with both the old and new faces.

A couple of hours clear tonight but the brisk breeze and a touch murky left only the binos as an option.

Hope to see a few of you again in October.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astralstroll said:

Had a great weekend again. Sadly not much observing and ended up with a damaged tent. It was quite breezy though so I'm glad the big tent stood up to the winds.

Roll on next year!

My little flowery tent just folded down on top of me every time we got a big gust. Popped right back up and shook off most of the water into the bargain. More of a problem was a damaged head from pub based antics..... at least we got to talk Astro b&@£&ks in the dry over a couple(ish) of beers.

Paul 

Edited by Paul73
  • Like 1

FForest Fields is a great site, but weekends need to be carefully chosen.

Just a few miles away is the Royal Welsh Show Ground.

It hosts numerous large events such as the Royal Welsh Show itself, huge antique fairs etc.

Those attending these shows use Fforest Fields as a base and it gets quite full. 

Then there are the school and bank holidays. It would be a good idea to contact the site when you have a date in mind and see if there is anything on before committing. 

I plan to be going for  5 nights at the end of October.  HTH

• Like 2

I have not long got home. Left Pencelli a day earlier than planned to avoid the forecasted bad weather on Thursday.

Last night was very windy with long(ish)  periods of clear skies and even longer ones of rain. To cold to stay out  long with binoculars.

A huge thanks to all those who made it to this years SWAG party especially knowing the weather was probably going to be against us.

I hope to see you all again at the next one.  :icon_salut:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Great night here last night at Pencelli Castle. 

Very clear with a bit of moisture at low level. 

Only here for a long weekend, so only had my binoculars.

Should be better tonight. ? 

Edited by Freff

• 8 months later...

Hi Calvin

I don't have plans for next spring per say, I will probably be abroad for a while.

I had the weekend of 20th - 23rd March penciled in and of course days either side for those who want them.

Pencelli will still accommodate us as usual, but those attending will need to book direct with the dates attending, favourite pitch etc and pay, probably when you arrive.

I will post these details on the SWAG forum in the new year.

Tony

Edited by Freff
changed leave for arrive.
  • Like 1

On 26/12/2019 at 10:40, estwing said:

anything planned Freff?

3 hours ago, Freff said:

Hi Calvin

I don't have plans for next spring per say, I will probably be abroad for a while.

I had the weekend of 20th - 23rd March penciled in and of course days either side for those who want them.

Pencelli will still accommodate us as usual, but those attending will need to book direct with the dates attending, favourite pitch etc and pay, probably when you leave.

I will post these details on the SWAG forum in the new year.

Tony

I am up for it as usual and will keep the dates clear. 

Cheers,

Justyn