NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New scope - clouds inbound for the SW!

Picked up this lovely used 102mm f11 this evening, courtesy of Chinapig (thanks Simon).

This is going to be my portable rig which will come away with us in the campervan to the sites under lovely dark skies (It's not that portable but it certainly easier than trying to move round an 8.5" F7.5 newt!)

Sits nicely with the AZ4 on my homebrew tripod. Can't wait to see what it's like under the stars. 

20181206_202251.jpg

I have one of those too, an Altair Starwave flavoured one that I picked up from Jonk earlier this year.  

They certainly are lovely scopes and it works beautifully for WL Solar though it doesn't get as much use as it should as the shorter length of the 100ED is more manageable.

It''s got a nicer build quality than the 100ED and I'll certainly be keeping it for the forseeable future. 

I hope you enjoy using yours as much as I do mine.

Ade

Thanks Ade, this one is a Starwave too, cant get over how nice the focuser is! A 100ed was also on my list to look out for but I didn't quite have the money for one, one day I will!   I've got some baader film for WL but i think i may invest in a solar wedge in the new year, any recommendations?? 

Cracking scope, looks a lovely set up you've got there.. I've had nothing but great times with mine, punches it's weight for an achro too.. Mine gave me some fantastic views last year during the beast from the east.. superb and contrasty and held magnification over 400x..

You'll enjoy that under dark sky's!

Clouds heading for the south west, you say?  I can't honestly say I think I'd notice at the moment.  It'll be like taking a bucket of sand to a beach.

Looks very nice.  And the tripod, too.

James

18 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Thanks Ade, this one is a Starwave too, cant get over how nice the focuser is! A 100ed was also on my list to look out for but I didn't quite have the money for one, one day I will!   I've got some baader film for WL but i think i may invest in a solar wedge in the new year, any recommendations?? 

I saw that you were looking for one, and that prompted me to get my Starwave out and in use for a couple of nights between the clouds.

Herschel Wedge wise you won't go far wrong with the Lunt 1.25" Wedge for the money.

If you're looking for 2" then things get significantly more expensive.  @Stu swears by the Baader Cool Ceramic one, but it was too pricey for me.

The Lacerta 2" Herschel Wedge is more reasonably priced and I've been very happy with mine, though it is a hefty chunk of metal.

Ade

15 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I saw that you were looking for one, and that prompted me to get my Starwave out and in use for a couple of nights between the clouds.

Herschel Wedge wise you won't go far wrong with the Lunt 1.25" Wedge for the money.

If you're looking for 2" then things get significantly more expensive.  @Stu swears by the Baader Cool Ceramic one, but it was too pricey for me.

The Lacerta 2" Herschel Wedge is more reasonably priced and I've been very happy with mine, though it is a hefty chunk of metal.

Ade

Ah cool, the Lunt one looks decent and not too much money (I only use 1.25" EPs)  thanks for that

12 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Nice looking scope and that tripod is splendid! I zoomed in for a good nosey. 

Cheers! It's just a prototype really so I could figure out the ideal height, made out of rough sawn iroko, very sturdy though... going to make a much nicer fixed height one soon 

Hmmm... looking at the Fov calculator an 11mm 82° ES will give me 100x and fit the whole solar disc/lunar disc nicely in the field with room to spare (non-tracking mount so don't want it to fit too snugly in the FoV). 

Think I'll have to amend my Christmas wish list!

11 hours ago, Philip R said:

Top it off with Baader filters (solar continuum & single polarising)

I understand filters aren't to be used in front of the wedge due to the concentrated light hazard, do you need to attach both filters to the nose of the EP?

11 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Hmmm... looking at the Fov calculator an 11mm 82° ES will give me 100x and fit the whole solar disc/lunar disc nicely in the field with room to spare (non-tracking mount so don't want it to fit too snugly in the FoV). 

Think I'll have to amend my Christmas wish list!

I understand filters aren't to be used in front of the wedge due to the concentrated light hazard, do you need to attach both filters to the nose of the EP?

Yes, that is correct. The filters go on the eyepiece nose.

Archived